1st go at a bit of astro

The last one has the most potential, with the tree in the central position could you have gone for a longer exposure to get some movement in the stars?? Just my thought, I am definitely no expert.

I would suggest trying to get something a bit more interesting in the foreground, you can work with anything, it just needs to add some interest. Also try using a star app to find something interesting in the sky, you can also use puddles to use as mirrors, etc - but welcome to the dark side :)

The last one has the most potential, with the tree in the central position could you have gone for a longer exposure to get some movement in the stars?? Just my thought, I am definitely no expert.

I have ordered myself a remote release so I can do longer exposures.

I would suggest trying to get something a bit more interesting in the foreground, you can work with anything, it just needs to add some interest. Also try using a star app to find something interesting in the sky, you can also use puddles to use as mirrors, etc - but welcome to the dark side :)

what app would you suggest please ?

Possibly the most useful is PhotoPills, this is an amazing app with lots of details & works on both IOS & Android - https://www.photopills.com/

PP allows you to select your location - so the dotted half circle, shows the direction of the milky way - this example is the Sea Arch at Dawlish Warren, Devon

The different coloured lines show moon & sun rise/set directions - lots of fun details, so if you want the core of the milky way rising over a landmark, it will allow you to work out when you need to be there

upload_2018-12-31_15-2-23.png

The other app I tend to use is Sky Guide - this shows where things are in the sky at different times - its only £2.99 but IOS only
This is an old capture at the old price

upload_2018-12-31_15-0-19.png
Another great site is Clear Outside - this is a web site, but shows weather conditions at any location - http://clearoutside.com/forecast/50.55/-3.50

upload_2018-12-31_14-58-49.png

So in the example above, I used Photo Pills to establish when I needed to be in location to get the core of the milky way out of a sea cave - I could basically do this shot at low tide, on a new moon with a clear sky - it then took 2 years to get all the conditions right :)

upload_2018-12-31_15-3-54.png

thanks that photopills does look very good.
I admit though looking at the pic I am confused as you say the dotted line shows the direction of the milky way yet the core rise and set are not in the same direction ?
and if i am looking at the pictures correctly you took your image facing the core set line ?
sorry if i am being thick lol

thanks that photopills does look very good.
I admit though looking at the pic I am confused as you say the dotted line shows the direction of the milky way yet the core rise and set are not in the same direction ?
and if i am looking at the pictures correctly you took your image facing the core set line ?
sorry if i am being thick lol
It easier to see when you have the app - the milky way moves across the sky in a similar way to the sun and the moon, so it will rise in one part of the sky, move across the sky then set in a different direction - it's compounded by the core not being visible all the time, so its only visible in the UK sky from April through to Sept, when it is below the horizon. So in the example above the core is actually only visible from 1:26 to 3:42. However, if you ever get to the Southern Hemisphere its in the middle of the night sky :)

It easier to see when you have the app - the milky way moves across the sky in a similar way to the sun and the moon, so it will rise in one part of the sky, move across the sky then set in a different direction - it's compounded by the core not being visible all the time, so its only visible in the UK sky from April through to Sept, when it is below the horizon. So in the example above the core is actually only visible from 1:26 to 3:42. However, if you ever get to the Southern Hemisphere its in the middle of the night sky :)
just watched one of their video's on it :) makes perfect sense now looks a great app :)

I have ordered myself a remote release so I can do longer exposures.

what app would you suggest please ?

Have a look at Stellarium too. It is free for PCs and Macs and will show you the sky as seen from anywhere on the Earth for just about anytime.

Dave

@jfb quick query will it be ok on my phone or is it worth getting a cheap ipad to run it on ?

Last edited:
@jfb quick query will it be ok on my phone or is it worth getting a cheap ipad to run it on ?
It runs on both android & iOS. The iPad is a marginally better experience, simply because you get a bigger screen so more real estate to play with - if you have both iPhone & iPad you will get a dual installation anyway - this is a pair of screen shots from both...

Pills.jpg

Last edited:
Have a look at Stellarium too. It is free for PCs and Macs and will show you the sky as seen from anywhere on the Earth for just about anytime.
Dave

I am a big fan of Stellarium, it's a really nice bit of software, I use it a lot - a couple of screen shots, which I have used in presentations to camera clubs - I was trying to show how the sky changed over one night as well as how the sky changes through the year

Stel-001.jpg

Stel-002.jpg

Back