1st outing with the 300mm 2.8 mk ii and the 2xTC mk iii

Name
Tara
Edit My Images
Yes
Had some 1/2 decent light so finally got to try the combo on my 1D MK iv., Pretty happy overall, AF slows a bit but not as much as I feared and I can't complain sharpness wise. All taken at 1000 iso and with shutter speeds far too slow for the focal length :).

A couple of my new best friends.

600mm squirrel
by Tara Rerrie, on Flickr

Inscrutasquirrel

and Red but not a squirrel

600mm robin resized

A lady... chaffinch, not greenfinch as originally labeled....

Greenfinch female

Last edited:
Edit My Images
No
It`s my most commonly used lens combo , my camera is not quite up to yours standard , and I think it shows , some nice images you got lots of detail and more than I generally seem to manage , I was told F7.1 is the optimum aperture for this combo , it looks like you learnt that already . Look forward to seeing more from you .

OP
OP
turbotoes
Name
Tara
Edit My Images
Yes
All nicely captured Tara with plenty of detail :)

- I see you were at only 1/100s for the Red Squiggle, so were you using a support for that combo as it's quite heavy?

Russ
Due to a frozen shoulder I use a gimbal head on a monopod, recently changed from a straight tilt head and really prefer the gimbal, with the tilt I was always leaning the monopod which made it less stable, the gimbal means I keep the monopod more upright so the weight is straight down thru the pod, less strain on my shoulder and that means less pain and more photo taking fun :)

Name
Dale.
Edit My Images
Yes
Interesting thread, I've recently purchased the Mkiii extender but I have no f2.8 glass to use with it, most of my glass is f4.

You have some good results there, especially at those shutter speeds. (y)