1st time at ICM

Name
Graham
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi, I live in the south of France, can't complain I guess, beautiful place but also dry and featureless depending where you look.
I was in the Gorge du Verdon, stonking place to go, we decided to have a look at a place we had passed a few times, after a little walk we arrived at a tunnel, 790 metres long, after that a small walk in the open then arrived at another tunnel this time it's shorter, just something like 150 metres, I decided to set the camera on A mode, came out with this shot, quite happy with it. 2017-09-09_05-51-09.jpg
Of course hand held.
Your thoughts please?

Was it intentional or accidental?
Yes it was my intention to take this type of shot but impossible to focus in the dark.

Looks like you succeeded. Loads of camera shake at 2.5 seconds :)

Looks like you succeeded. Loads of camera shake at 2.5 seconds :)
Haha yes, holding the camera to my stomach or there abouts.
Thanks

Well done for giving it a go. The image gives a sense of moving into the unknown, possibly with something undefined coming toward the viewer.

ICM is a very 'experimental' technique, and it's good to shoot lots of frames trying different movements and speeds because you can't always tell exactly what the image will come out like. What I have found is that trying to hold the camera 'still' for several seconds often doesn't give a pleasing pattern to the blur, but instead moving it in a planned direction, either from still or releasing the shutter after the move has started often gives a more pleasing shape to the blur.

Well done for giving it a go. The image gives a sense of moving into the unknown, possibly with something undefined coming toward the viewer.

ICM is a very 'experimental' technique, and it's good to shoot lots of frames trying different movements and speeds because you can't always tell exactly what the image will come out like. What I have found is that trying to hold the camera 'still' for several seconds often doesn't give a pleasing pattern to the blur, but instead moving it in a planned direction, either from still or releasing the shutter after the move has started often gives a more pleasing shape to the blur.

Thanks for your input, I've been meaning to try this for a while now but didn't have the right place/time/reason for it. I am pleased how it looks tbh.
No idea if it is one for the wall but was fun trying it out.

I do a bit of photography and caves and I have "accidentally" produced a lot of photos similar to this but this seems to work in a way. For me ICM works best with movement in the same plane as the dominant elements of the scene, i.e. horizontal movement with horizontal layers or vertical movement with tree trunks for example. Here I wonder if rotation would work but I think the definition of the floor would be lost.

I do a bit of photography and caves and I have "accidentally" produced a lot of photos similar to this but this seems to work in a way. For me ICM works best with movement in the same plane as the dominant elements of the scene, i.e. horizontal movement with horizontal layers or vertical movement with tree trunks for example. Here I wonder if rotation would work but I think the definition of the floor would be lost.
I'm glad you think this one works [emoji2] I think ICM is what you make of it, I have seen seascapes, landscape and I'm sure I have seen a animal one not too long ago that worked well. I did a type of rotation shot once, geeez did it screw with your head. (it's on my Flickr I think). Agreed with your thoughts, with the ground I don't think a rotation shot would work.

I'm glad you think this one works [emoji2] I think ICM is what you make of it, I have seen seascapes, landscape and I'm sure I have seen a animal one not too long ago that worked well. I did a type of rotation shot once, geeez did it screw with your head. (it's on my Flickr I think). Agreed with your thoughts, with the ground I don't think a rotation shot would work.
Would that work with combining two shots?

One at a faster shutter speed for the ground and another ICM shot.

Would that work with combining two shots?

One at a faster shutter speed for the ground and another ICM shot.
Got nooo idea on that, it's something you would have to try, maybe post the results here?

Back