2 Swallows

Edit My Images
Yes
A few weeks ago we had 5 Swallows appear, I thought they were the heralds of the rest of them. Now there are 2 left. 10 years ago the sky was full of them chasing each other around.

Earlier this year I saw a pallet outside a house and asked if I might scrounge it. At the time I had every intention of doing something with it, but I never got around to it. The 2 Swallows made me think and so I made this from the pallet, at the bottom there are stones and already ground nesting insects are using it. The next layer has got dried grasses, old roots and odd bits of timber, on top some large old conifer roots and a log I cadged of a neighbour. And on top of it all an insect home I bought on eBay.

48069467152_90c60c7a7c_b.jpg

I'm making a micro pond just behind this, had to dig it out with a digging hoe a spade wouldn't touch it the ground was so dry. I lined it last week and the rain has filled it to overflowing.

As a lady on Springwatch said;
Saving the planet isn't hard
Make a start in your own backyard

J

Last edited:
Good for you to make the effort, more so that it is/will be a bug hotel.....it does look quite a substantial one :)

Back