2003 Expired Ektachrome

Name
Nige
Edit My Images
No
A couple of shots from the roll of 2003 dated Ektachrome E100S that @Sectionate kindly sent me recently. I have two rolls, so the first was essentially a test to see how it fared. Although the Holga doesn't allow much in the way of controlling how I take a photograph, it has the benefit of being able to carry off the results even if they're not perfect. :D

Anyway, as the film is 16 years out of date, I applied some Sunny 16 calculations:

Film ASA = 100
Holga shutter speed = 1/100s
Autumn UK sunshine = Sunny f/11
Holga cloudy setting = f/8

This all basically meant, that I was overexposing the film by 1 stop. The results are not bad considering the age of the film. The transparencies have a visible purple cast, but colour correction removed this pretty well. The main issue is the purple speckling that remains in the shadow areas. While I don't think I'll use my other roll for anything of critical importance, at least I know that, in the right conditions I can get usable results (although at least one image went somewhat awry in terms of colour).

I'll post a few more as I upload them to Flickr.

FILM - De-misting
by fishyfish_arcade, on Flickr

FILM - Morning coffee
by fishyfish_arcade, on Flickr

Good to seeing it being used, better than it sitting in a shelf at my house gathering dust! Looks alright; I think I only ever used 1 or 2 rolls from a box I bought of eBay and decide the colour cast and weird shadows were a PITA and shelved it lol.

I think the character of the film matches nicely with the holga, gives a sort of nostalgic 80s feel for me.
I love that first shot, though I cant quite explain why just yet.

I think the character of the film matches nicely with the holga, gives a sort of nostalgic 80s feel for me.
I love that first shot, though I cant quite explain why just yet.

Thanks. Yeah, I like that first one too. For me, and the reason I took it, it's the lovely early morning autumn light on the house and the way it's diffused by the condensation on the windscreen. I focused on the condensation deliberately to get the softness on the house. It's a shame the shadow detail is almost totally lost, but hey-ho...

Colours are superb and almost no grain!! I'm going to have to get me some of this!!

Back