2007 Mercedes CLS

Name
Mark
Edit My Images
Yes
I treated myself on the weekend to a Mercedes CLS. Took her out last night to get a decent photo. This is a stich of multiple shots from my Fuji X-T1 with the 56mm @ F1.2, I'll be honest. The effect is lost on this image. I should have just shot it with my 23mm 1.4.

C+C Welcome.
p.s. Yes, I wanted to blow the sky out.

CLS.jpg

Congratulations on the lovely purchase! Overall it's a solid image with some nice tones to it. Given that you asked for crit, I've tried to go into more detail:

m8fkpi.jpg

Green - Bits I really like. The flare and the way it bleeds out across the landscape, the colours it provides, the long drawn-out shadows of the car and the mottled shadows on the tarmac all give the shot a bit of drama. You said the blown-out sky was intentional so sticking with that, the way you've balanced the shot with the horizon is clever. Personally, as this shot was a blend of layers anyway I would have probably tried to get some sky detail or even comp'd a sky in as your eye is drawn straight to it, but I get that it isn't what you wanted.

Orange - Subjective bits I'd probably change that would clean the image up. Things like removing the 'slow' text on the road, the front parking sensors, the front plate and reflections in the bodywork. These are all things to do in post though and I appreciate not everyone is comfortable tackling them. I think you could get away with adding some cyan/blue into the shadows to complement the oranges/reds in the highlights also.

Red - Bits I think potentially detract from the image. Certainly on my screen (and when using levels) there is an oddly-shaped vignette which makes the flare look fake and the Sun to be in a different position. It also makes your blown out sky look unintentional, as you've then tried to retain detail in an area where there is none. It's an easy fix though - either by removing the vignette or by comp'ing in a sky.

All my opinion of course, hope it helps!

Back