2014 a year of firsts

Name
Jonny
Edit My Images
No
Hi All,

It's that time of year again and this time it looks like my turn to kick off the annual tradition that is the 'highlight reel' :)

It's now the second year with the 5D and associate lenses, I'm starting to understand some of the quirks and getting flawed by a few new ones.

Let me know what you think, C&C always welcome... particularly the brutal kind, so long as you can back it up with some reasoning its cool :)

So in chronological order here's some of my personal favourites from the year

1. Britcar in freezing April, first event of the year
NELSON / GREENSALL Ferrari 458 Challenge by Fireproof Creative, on Flickr

2. Mark Webber in his first competitive outing for Porsche, This image was signed by the man himself and sold at a charity auction for £1600... with no proceeds going to me :(
Timo BERNHARD, Mark WEBBER, Brendon HARTLEY - Porsche 919 Hybrid by Fireproof Creative, on Flickr

3. Ryuichi Kiyonari, first time shooting bikes at Oulton Park (BSB)
Ryuichi KIYONARI - BSB 2014 - Oulton Park by Fireproof Creative, on Flickr

4. Alex Zanardi, my first time shooting the Brands GP circuit (Blancpain Sprint Series)
Out of the Shadows by Fireproof Creative, on Flickr

5. Steven Kane, umm... first time I've seen tank racing (Blancpain Endurance Series)
Guy Smith, Andy Meyrick, Steven Kane by Fireproof Creative, on Flickr

6. First time I've shot British GT at Silverstone
2 by Fireproof Creative, on Flickr

7. First time I've ever been able to shoot an F1 car from this spot (British GP)
Fernando Alonso by Fireproof Creative, on Flickr

8. First time this guy hasn't beaten his team mate (F1 Team Test, Silverstone)
Time for a change of scenery by Fireproof Creative, on Flickr

9. First time I've been track side (Monoposto, SIlverstone)
Dan Clowes - Monoposto by Fireproof Creative, on Flickr

10. This guy finished first (ok so I'm scrapping the barrel now) (BTCC, Silverstone)

Colin Turkington by Fireproof Creative, on Flickr

11. First time I've seen this guy on a red bike (BSB, Silverstone)
On the Limit by Fireproof Creative, on Flickr

12. First time I've been trackside at Brands (F4 Winter Series)
Will Palmer by Fireproof Creative, on Flickr

-----------------
Now just a few random images from the year without forcing first in the title, you know, to use the space :)

13. Cheerio to the legend that is Tom Kristensen
Lucas DI GRASSI, Loïc DUVAL, Tom KRISTENSEN - Audi R18 e-tron quattro by Fireproof Creative, on Flickr

14. Still praying for Jules
Jules Bianchi by Fireproof Creative, on Flickr

15. Have to include this guy in a recap really
Lewis Hamilton by Fireproof Creative, on Flickr

16. This chap had a stellar season
Danny BUCHAN by Fireproof Creative, on Flickr

That's it, thanks for looking :)

Looks like you had a good year!

Some fairly phenomenal shots there in fairness.....

If I was pushed, I'd say that the Webber and Kiyonari ones are showstoppers, with Palmer in the F4 and Clowes in the Monoposto not far behind.

I don't stop by this section of the forum that often but maybe I should do if this is the quality of work. These are superb. Pin sharp, really vivid colours and a real sense of motion, speed and energy. Very very impressive.

Some tremendous shots, but all a bit samey for my taste, shot by 100,s of other togs week in week out. The shots are really good, sharp, colourfull and giving a sence of speed and or action, but like I said, all a bit sameydonebefore. . . .I do like 7, nice leading line, 12, really nice angle, and I do like 1, the oof cars behind make it a bit different. We all like different style,s, please don't take offence as that's not why I posted, just my opinion,
cheers,
Dave

Fantastic shots to finish the season with. The shot of Kiyo makes me want a 2x for next season! Can you recall where at Oulton you got that shot?

Looks like you had a good year!

Some fairly phenomenal shots there in fairness.....

If I was pushed, I'd say that the Webber and Kiyonari ones are showstoppers, with Palmer in the F4 and Clowes in the Monoposto not far behind.

Thanks very much, I appreciate it :)

I don't stop by this section of the forum that often but maybe I should do if this is the quality of work. These are superb. Pin sharp, really vivid colours and a real sense of motion, speed and energy. Very very impressive.

Thanks so much, always good to get the opinions of people outside the genre (especially such positive opinions)

Some tremendous shots, but all a bit samey for my taste, shot by 100,s of other togs week in week out. The shots are really good, sharp, colourfull and giving a sence of speed and or action, but like I said, all a bit sameydonebefore. . . .I do like 7, nice leading line, 12, really nice angle, and I do like 1, the oof cars behind make it a bit different. We all like different style,s, please don't take offence as that's not why I posted, just my opinion,
cheers,
Dave

Haha no worries Dave, I asked for honest opinions :) I have to agree.. after I posted them up, I too thought "well they all look the same, just with a different vehicle". It's the kind of style I've got into and pretty much every year I say I'd like to get a bit more variety but just cant seem to get results I'm happy with :) While I do vary my shooting techniques, I'm still not confident in posting up these experiments as they aren't at the level I want to show. If you get a chance to look through my flickr Stream, I'd welcome your thoughts on my other images, just in case there are others to your liking (I'll get a feel if I'm doing something right in my efforts) :)

Fantastic shots to finish the season with. The shot of Kiyo makes me want a 2x for next season! Can you recall where at Oulton you got that shot?

errrrmmmmm... in front of that BMW sign lol sorry don't know the corners name... its with a 400 on a full frame, so I recon a 200/300 would be more than adequate with a crop body. Thanks for the feedback :D

Very good Jonny, Ive admired the quality of your shots before and these are good examples. Of this set the Webber & Kiyo shots are my favourites.

All are superb in colour / sharpness etc but I think you need to stop drinking before the event - was getting sea sick trying to find the level horizon ;-)

saying that - #4 is particularly good, would be my pick of the bunch

.DAVID.

All are superb in colour / sharpness etc but I think you need to stop drinking before the event - was getting sea sick trying to find the level horizon ;-)

saying that - #4 is particularly good, would be my pick of the bunch

.DAVID.
But, but.. Without the beer I'm half a man :( thanks... I like it lopsided what can I say :)

All a load of old rubbish no idea why you posted any of this, wasting our time looking... ;)

A great set..all great... if I had to pick one out it would be 6...as you can see some of the detail inside the car.

I always like to see the tremendous detail in your shots, you have a good grip on how to bring it out . Congrats on the 919 shot, I love the glare in the right bank of headlights.

Lovely shots Johnathan, just wish there was a few wider shots showing abit more of the surroundings.

Like them all, no sitting on the fence there then from me :)
Thanks Colin, I appreciate it :)

All great shots but 1 is my favourite!!
Cheers Stevie, am I right in thinking the Britcar round in April is now going to be a 24hr :D

A great set..all great... if I had to pick one out it would be 6...as you can see some of the detail inside the car.
I appreciate it it Paul, the light fell just right for that shot and lit up the rollcage

I always like to see the tremendous detail in your shots, you have a good grip on how to bring it out . Congrats on the 919 shot, I love the glare in the right bank of headlights.
Thanks Paul, it is an area I really try and focus on... I think luckily the 5D Raw images respond easily to my processing technique so results are more consistent with what I hope to achieve. You can't really see at 1600px across but at full res I'm really happy with how the camera resolves detail, I'll probably get called a pixel peeper but you have little choice with motorsport at Silverstone when limited reach drives you to crop.

Lovely shots Johnathan, just wish there was a few wider shots showing abit more of the surroundings.

Cheers Dex, sadly wide work is not my forte as I say a bit further up though, I'm always experimenting :) Much of the time the surroundings include ugly chain link, empty stands and porta loos so I often do my best to avoid highlighting them ;)

[QUOTE="Graphix501, post: 6623267, member:
Cheers Dex, sadly wide work is not my forte as I say a bit further up though, I'm always experimenting :) Much of the time the surroundings include ugly chain link, empty stands and porta loos so I often do my best to avoid highlighting them ;)[/QUOTE]

Thats fair enough, have to admit I did not realise how bad silverstone was until I visited there earlier in the year, I am rather blesses down here with a bit of scenery to work with.

Pictures are technically good Jonathan, sharp with nice colors and for my taste good post production (apart for added tilting if you did...)

But as someone else pointed out they all very similar to each other, perhaps at Brands and Oulton you could have tried something more wide, I never been at Oulton before but I heard is very nice to photograph, the Brands GP circuit also allow for some nice photos either side of the fence.

This is just a personal opinion I find the tilting being a bit excessive in many of the photos, 6, 8, 9, 12 and 14

Erm no there is a round in March on the National circuit.

http://www.britcar24hr.co.uk/home/2015-calendar/

If you are going to be at any rounds give me a shout as it'd be good to put a face to the name ;)

Sure, I'll drop you a message next time I'm about if I remember

I received an email this week announcing the 24 HRS in April, it is at the right end of April too for some decent weather unlike the WEC's visit.

http://www.britcar24hr.co.uk/home/category/dunlop24hr/

Yea I think I found out about it on a facebook post that was going round the togs

Pictures are technically good Jonathan, sharp with nice colors and for my taste good post production (apart for added tilting if you did...)

But as someone else pointed out they all very similar to each other, perhaps at Brands and Oulton you could have tried something more wide, I never been at Oulton before but I heard is very nice to photograph, the Brands GP circuit also allow for some nice photos either side of the fence.

This is just a personal opinion I find the tilting being a bit excessive in many of the photos, 6, 8, 9, 12 and 14

Thanks for the feedback James, I frequently have an internal struggle with backgrounds and composition. I strive to get the cleanest images I can, which usually results in a tight crop using the lines into the corners of the frame. I appreciate its not everyone's taste :) but when I leave them straight, often the whole image falls flat to my eye (probably because I'm not taking the best pictures in the first place :) )

Oulton is indeed picturesque but much of the track is flanked by bare tire walls and fluorescent track furniture which IMO spoils the aesthetic of my images. I've only had limited experience of both Brands and Oulton so probably haven't had enough time to really get my teeth into angles and get the most out of them. My track side experience at brands was on the Indy circuit in the driving rain so I wasn't really able to experiment as much as I'd like.

I clearly have much to learn, but I guess that's not a bad thing all in all :)

Last edited:
Some great shots. Really like #4 and #6. Fairly spot on I'd say! ;)

Hopefully we'll be seeing some more trackside shots from you next season?

Back