2014 UCI Track Cycling World Cup - London

Edit My Images
No
My first time posting photos on here but I recently went to the above event and tried to see what I could get. One thing I know I could have done is to have slowed the shutter speed down to try and get some motion blur but it was the first time I had used the camera. Something I can look to improve on in the future though.

Anyway, here are some of what I think is best from what I captured.

1 -

UCI Track Cycling World Cup 2014/2015 - London
by stuartleaveruk, on Flickr

2 -

3 -

4 -

5 -

6 -

Full set is here - https://www.flickr.com/photos/stuartleaveruk/sets/72157647368014434/

Any thoughts would be appreciated as I have just got back into photography and obviously would like to improve where possible.

Look great ... must be a challenge capturing the riders at speed.

Never been to an event like this, but I think you've got some nice shots, and really liking number 4 ....... The difficulties you had with the male sprinters, was it the speed or the space you had to work in? I only ask because I don't think 70kph should be an issue if you compare that to Motorsport or planes. :)

I agree that 70kph isn't fast compared to motorsport but I had the 70-200 f/2.8 IS and I was kind of conscious of panning because it may have annoyed the people sitting each side of me. After all, they didn't pay to have someone sticking a big lens in their face :) Maybe I was being to nice :)

What I tried to do was pre-focus just before the finish line and then start to shoot on high speed just before they came into the frame. As I only had 6fps, I either got them entering the frame and then the next one was them leaving the frame or if I got them in the frame on the line, it was out of focus.

Any tips would be appreciated.

Sounds like you might have been a little to nice, as I doubt you would have obstructed their view :) but I know what you mean, I always feel a little bit self-conscious. I can't really give any tips for what you were trying to do, as I'm normally in a field so have the space to pan, but hopefully others will be able to share :)

What camera do you have? Has all the exif data been stripped out of the images? Couldn't see it on Flickr and I was being nosey. :)

Great set though, very sharp.

I have a Canon 5D MK III so I know it isn't the best for sports.

Exif data should now show. I set it to not display for some reason, but because it always shows for me, I forgot that it was hidden :rolleyes:

Nice set, I know how tricky it is shooting in the velodrome as have done it myself a few times & you have got some great images. If you want to have a go at panning, try standing at the top of the banking. I know you can do that at Manchester, as there are no seats there, you can just stand where you want, but not sure about London.

Back