2015 or 1955? its been a good year for photographinga steamy past

Edit My Images
No
I enjoy most forms of transport photography and especially railways. My favourite type of image is where you can look at the picture and be completely fooled that it is from a bygone era. For me that means the infrastructure, the loco and rolling stock all have to be "matched" for the era you trying to portray. Here are a couple of samples from this year which imho pass the test of being timeless:

Southern Summer excusion by Inspiring Images, on Flickr

Waiting for the road home by Inspiring Images, on Flickr

20150728-LAP_2727-Edit.jpg by Inspiring Images, on Flickr

Hydraulic sunset by Inspiring Images, on Flickr

I would guess that 2, 3 & 4 are on preserved railways, No 4 possibly on a freight demonstrator day, (although the loco was built in 1963, so definitely not 1955 as per the title) whilst No.1 may be on a railtour, details of which can be found here:-

http://www.uksteam.info/tours/trs15.htm
http://www.railtourinfo.co.uk/diesel.html

Actual timings of chartered preserved, freight and scheduled trains on the Network:-

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/search/advanced

Just enter a nearby station, time and date and it will give you full details. Includes a clickable link on 'ID' which will give you all the timing points of a particular train, plus how well it is running to schedule. Trains are usually initiated on the system a couple of hours before their start point, although some may be 'on the system' for days before too. Bear in mind that some will not run for a variety of reasons, you can be sure it has at least started when the timings change to bold text.

Last edited:
Sunset is excellent, reminds me of Africa!

Thanks all. Actually they are all on preserved railways, namely the East Lancs railway, the Llangollen railway and finally the North Norfolk railway. All were on public running days except for the last which was a photo charter with the guest loco (Hymek class D7076). All of these are public accessible and if you would like to get most things on your side, a photo charter is a great way of getting shots in great conditions with extra smoke, re-enactors etc. This example was from a timeline events charter at the North Norfolk railway in March. There are various charter organisers, search for timeline events, 30742 charters, Don Bishop steam recreations who are just a couple whos charters I have used in the past.

Scottish sunset by Inspiring Images, on Flickr

20150302-LAP_0561-Edit.jpg by Inspiring Images, on Flickr

Strolling out by Inspiring Images, on Flickr

Great images and very inspiring...love a bit of steam. Tho. coming from your pre-amble the carriages on the back of the spam-can are all wrong, wrong, wrong.
Ive got to have a lie down now

Some really nice photos Duncan, last one is very brief encounter and my favourite. I also like the scene to be timeless, nothing worse than something modern spoiling the atmosphere

In no 3, is that an autocoach either end, if so never seen that before

Last edited:
truly great shots, the Scottish sunset with some cropping would make a great panoramic canvas

Some really nice photos Duncan, last one is very brief encounter and my favourite. I also like the scene to be timeless, nothing worse than something modern spoiling the atmosphere

In no 3, is that an autocoach either end, if so never seen that before
Yes, it used to be relatively common practice in GWR days, a bit lonely for the fireman!

Tho. coming from your pre-amble the carriages on the back of the spam-can are all wrong, wrong, wrong.
I'll accept a need to move to 1957 for the maroon Mark one coaches but apart from that its spot on :) Glad you like it though

And many thanks for the other nice comments, much appreciated.

Back