2017 Perseids

Edit My Images
Yes
Surpised not to find any other threads here about this years shower bu then again the weather was really rubbish cloud over the weekend.

I headed up to Wicken fen in cambrigeshire hoping to take advantage of the predicted gap in the cloud coverage as they moved south east. I was lucky in that i had about 1 1/2 hours of clear skies over a 5 hour period but the 3/4 full moon made exposures tricky. I lit the windpump with 2 low level lights far off the the right, balanced to replace the moonlight when it was behind cloud coverage. I had intended to make a couple of timelapses of the evening but the built in intervalometes in both my d750 decided to stop for a good 30 minutes each... no idea on the cause but won't be trusting it again.

Anyway a composite of 2 images (strikes and foreground)

Perseids at Wicken by
David , on Flickr

Debating going out again on friday as the weather is predicted to be clear thought the shower is past its peak.

Ooh, nice! (y) I watched from my garden and saw quite a few, some really bright, until the Moon became a bit of a problem. I didn't attempt to take any photos. Usually I go out and look and manage to miss all of them by looking the wrong way at the wrong moment, so it was nice just to see some for a change. Maybe next year I'll try to get myself a bit better organised, which will be a guarentee of complete overcast............

Well done indeed. We had cloud so no decent sightings :(

Very nicely done. I'm not sure how many meteors I can see - that bright thing looks like an Iridium flare to me - but it's a lovely image regardless.

Back