2019 British GT Championship Media Day

Name
Richard
Edit My Images
Yes
The first time at a track for over 5 months for me for the British GT Media Day. Thankfully the weather played ball and we had bright sunshine for most of the day. Great to finally meet @Graphix501 and @MFlip too.

Here's 8 favourites from Donington Park. For more see my gallery on paddock42.com or my Flickr. As always C&C welcome, encouraged and appreciated.

1. Pushing

2. Out of the shadows

3.Focus

4.Track Limits

5.Chasing

6.Kerb hopping

7. Warp speed

8. Beemer

Last edited:
Great set of images Richard. Really lookin* forward to seeing these cars at Oulton Park next month!

Cheers,

Simon.

Great set Rich, really like #4 and #7, hope to see these myself at Snetterton in May.

Great set of images Richard. Really lookin* forward to seeing these cars at Oulton Park next month!

Cheers,

Simon.

Thanks Simon, I should be at Oulton too, where there will be a lot more cars running. It's shaping up to be a great season.

Very nice set Richard

Thanks a lot
Great set Rich, really like #4 and #7, hope to see these myself at Snetterton in May.

Thanks Mark. Well worth getting to as many British GT rounds as you can this year the entry list is excellent.

Great set. I presume you were working as you were the right side of the fence?

Last one is the pick of the set. I'm hoping there will be a few of them at Oulton Park for the test day on the 15th.

#1 for me Rich, nice panning.

Thanks Neil.
Great set. I presume you were working as you were the right side of the fence?

Last one is the pick of the set. I'm hoping there will be a few of them at Oulton Park for the test day on the 15th.

I was working, although I'd never call something so enjoyable work! I'm glad you've picked the last one, that's my favourite too I think. There have been lots of GT cars testing at Oulton recently so I'm sure you'll see some on the 15th. A lot of the Aston Martin teams skipped the media day and ran at Oulton Park last Tuesday.

Great pictures at all! Love #4 - amazing capture of one moment!

Thanks Neil.

I was working, although I'd never call something so enjoyable work! I'm glad you've picked the last one, that's my favourite too I think. There have been lots of GT cars testing at Oulton recently so I'm sure you'll see some on the 15th. A lot of the Aston Martin teams skipped the media day and ran at Oulton Park last Tuesday.

I like that sort of image. Panning with a slow shutter speed with a wide angle lens is very underrated!

Great pictures at all! Love #4 - amazing capture of one moment!

Thank you very much
I like that sort of image. Panning with a slow shutter speed with a wide angle lens is very underrated!

Something I need to try more of. I only have one camera body so I tend to stick with my bigger lens all day, one of my photography resolutions for this year is to try more wide angle stuff.

Only just seen this for some reason, (thought I’d get notification if tagged). Great set. Really like the last two
Thanks a lot Mark

Wide angle stuff is always hard to get, particularly if there is fencing (though if you're working that probably isn't an issue). I bought a Canon 15-85 last year and I find it a great balance between wide and tele. Oulton Park is pretty good spectator wise for this sort of thing too - Silverstone you have to do it with a long lens as you are about 16 miles from the action!

Wide angle stuff is always hard to get, particularly if there is fencing (though if you're working that probably isn't an issue). I bought a Canon 15-85 last year and I find it a great balance between wide and tele. Oulton Park is pretty good spectator wise for this sort of thing too - Silverstone you have to do it with a long lens as you are about 16 miles from the action!

Oulton is perfect for some nice wide angle pans. The inside of Lodge is a great place to try it, also the run down to Cascades on the campsite side if you can get far enough down on the spectator side. Probably the entry to Druids could be good as well.

Stunning. How much post processing do you do? The sharpness and colours are immense.

Stunning. How much post processing do you do? The sharpness and colours are immense.

Thanks a lot. I do a bit of post processing but nothing too drastic. I shoot raw and then apply my own preset, and then tweak each photo from there as required. I use Lightroom Classic on my laptop & Lightroom CC on my phone for all my PP.

I use values of +16 for Vibrance and +14 for Saturation for almost every photo, and generally use the medium contrast setting for the Tone Curve. My lens isn't great so I go a bit mad with the sharpening, usually a value of between 90 and 110 and a radius of 1.6 to 2.2 depending on the photo, but then have the masking slider set to about 80 or 90 to make sure it's only applying to the parts of the image I want it to. If I had better glass I could tone this down a bit.

In the photos above, #2 had the shadows dropped quite a bit to make the background darker, #3 had some additional expsoure, contrast and sharpness painted in across the drivers face and the last two have a graduated filter applied to the sky to bring the exposure down in that part of the image. A lot of this was done using Lightroom CC on my phone, but the majority of the processing was done on my PC. Hope that helps!

Back