20D Battery Grip Problems.

CT

TPer Emeritus
Edit My Images
Yes
No doubt most of you will be aware that there seems to be a problem with this grip causing the 20D to not register the state of discharge of the battery on the top LCD panel. Apparantly Canon USA have acknowledged the problem, but Canon UK are denying the issue. I've been using the grip with two batteries inserted and seeing no sign of battery depletion on the LCD panel, I pulled out the batteries removed the grip and inserted each battery in the camera in turn. Sure enough, both batteries were showing partly depleted after a week of pretty well regular use. In fairness they were showing no sign of slowing down at all.

On the advice of another owner, I charged the batteries, but put them into the grip before inserting the grip in the camera, which is supposed to be a 'work around' for the problem. Two weeks later, I had arrived at the conclusion this didn't work as there was no sign at all of battery depletion. However after an extended period of use this morning, the LCD display did indeed show partial battery depletion, so it seems to work.

I have to say though that the battery life in this camera is so impressive, it's almost a none issue, as you'd undoubtedly charge the batteries before a day out, and if at home, the recharge time is very quick, and you can even do a partial quick charge. I've just spent over an hour trying to run the batteries dead and got fed up of trying, the camera is still capable of 6 shot bursts at full res. I've finally put one battery on charge and the other is still giving 6 shot bursts from the camera on it's own! :shock:

I have a battery grip for my D60 and use it everyday. I seem to find that the battery life is very good and the depletion state only starts to show signs after really heavy usage.

Agree with Gary, my 300d grip with two batteries seems to just go on for weeks before showing any signs of depletion. When it does show it's not too long before the batteries are too low to use though.

Had heard about this, which is why i am holding off buying a grip for my 20D !

Although the problem doesnt sound quite as bad as i thought ! more an annoyance or incovenience than serious failure by sound of it !

I'm also holding off the purchase of the battery grip for my 20D after hearing these comments along with some more disturbing traits!

one such issue is that the camera can lock up if the grip is twisted a little, as the contacts make a poor conection. the only way to reset it seems to be to remove the grip and insert a single battery. hardly a satisfactory situation.

it would appear that the earlier build grips were made with a vital washer missing, which allowed excessive movement.

I really miss the feel of the extra grip now after having it on my 300D, it's a great add on for the camera in terms of stability and balance as well as the extended run time and portrait controls.

IanC_UK said:
It also bothers me a bit that Canon USA can acknowledge the fact and Canon UK deny it ? Do UK not speak to USA or are they just pretending it didnt happen ! lol

I can't remember where I read this now Ian. Some people are also complaining bitterly about the battery grip flexing when it's mounted on the camera. I can't say I have this problem (thankfully) the battery grip locks up nice and tight with no play at all, and the grip does make the camera a chunkier, nicer piece of kit to use. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another if I had to, but I would be concerned about what I was going to get having read some of the stories from buyers.

These concerns were all over fredmiranda and photog on the net forums.

CT, are there any coloured dots on yours inside the battery compartment, i seem to remember something about a dot being a visible id of being OK.

might be something only Canon USA have bothered with.

Deffo worth keeping it in mind if your considering an eBAY purchase from either US or HK.

digitalfailure said:
CT, are there any coloured dots on yours inside the battery compartment, i seem to remember something about a dot being a visible id of being OK.

I just checked - nope no dots.

So do I Ian
so I vote that you go to your local jessops and buy one, you can then provide a full in depth review of it for us :LOL:

the 20D feels soooooo small now after having the gripped 300d

digitalfailure said:
So do I Ian
so I vote that you go to your local jessops and buy one, you can then provide a full in depth review of it for us :LOL:

the 20D feels soooooo small now after having the gripped 300d

If you think the 20D is small, go and try a 350D !!!! I was going to buy one, but my little finger kept waggling around under the camera body, thing is soooooo small, wouldnt be able to use it without a battery grip ! specially with a decent size lens on it ! so i bought the 20d instead ! ;)

The other problem with this grip is the AA insert; apparently 6 brand new Duracell AA's will last you a couple of shots before expiring.... Not a very clever "alternative" power supply! Better off with a couple of BP511 clones. (I've had 2 from the channel islands for over a year and they are great, and certainly cheaper than 8 sets of AA's)

:wink:

AndyD said:
The other problem with this grip is the AA insert; apparently 6 brand new Duracell AA's will last you a couple of shots before expiring.... Not a very clever "alternative" power supply! Better off with a couple of BP511 clones. (I've had 2 from the channel islands for over a year and they are great, and certainly cheaper than 8 sets of AA's)

:wink:

LOL all those AA's and a team of Himalayan Sherpas to carry them ! ;)

True! :)

IanC_UK said:
Have you had any issues with your 20D grip Andy ? other than requiring Sherpas to carry spare batteries ? ;)

Ian, so far I have had no issues with the grip whatsoever. Apart from the fact that it is "ugly" compared to the BG Ed3 on my 10D. The BG ED3 seems to have a better "fit" all round, meaning that it feels as though it should always have been part of the camera. The 20D grip on the other hand, doesn't seem to be as snug as the BG ED3. Having said that, one improvement over the 10D grip is the switch for the vertical controls. The switch is recessed and cannot be easily turned off. It is more akin the the switch on the 1 series camera's. The switch on the BG ED3 can be caught quite easily.

The grip can be pulled away from the body just enough to power down the camera, but this has to be done consciously for it to have an effect. I am too busy holding the thing the right way up and concentrating on the action, to be bothered trying to make it power down! :shock:

I have had 1 lock up with the 20D (I cannot remember if the grip was attached) it was early on in my ownership (I registered quickly with my dealer and was No 4 on the waiting list after the 20D was announced) and I still have the release firmware. :roll:

In use, I prefer to have the grip attached. My hands are not that big, but it makes the camera a bit more secure to hold and the vertical controls are a blessing. :wink:

AndyD

IanC_UK said:
Decisions decisions ! next one i need to save for is the 100-400 IS L lens ! :D

You will not be dissapointed! :wink:

I've had no problems with my 20D and Grip.
The batteries last forever so it takes a while for the battery indicator to show half capacity.

As a rough guide

Saturday I used the camera with an IS lens from 7:30am to about 6:30pm (11 hours), it was always on and I took just over 1200 photos.
Sunday I used the camera for about 3 hours taking 100 photos.
Tuesday I used the camera and IS lens at a track day and took 550 photos before the batteries died completely.

So I guess with the batteries fully charged you could get 2000 images out of them.

The problem isn't with the grip, it's just the batteries last a long time :)

SDK^ said:
The problem isn't with the grip, it's just the batteries last a long time :)

I'm coming to the conclusion it really is that simple!

£119 in 7dayshop

I just can't help myself :)

Back