24" x 16" Canvas concern

Name
Will
Edit My Images
No
Hi there, Some time ago I got given a free canvas print for Jessops at 24" x 16" and never used it. Recently I decided to dust it off and find an image to stick up in the lounge or something. The image in question was the moon at sea (link to image - http://wp-photography.co.uk/photo_6614447.html) and was taken with a long exposure around 30 sec. f/18 and ISO 200 however does appear grainy when viewed at actual pixels on CS5. A quick call to the local Jessops confirmed it was likely to appear grainy when printed, but is it worth printing and how grainy would it be?

I'm aware when you buy some canvas' in shops they are grainy themselves, is it standard as I have never had to print a canvas before only prints. And I don't want to waste a canvas on a bad image "because it's free".

So would this image linked, taken at 4288 x 2848 in low light with long exposure be useable on a 24 x 16?

Many thanks in advance!

how bad is it ?

I had a grainy pic put on a canvas and it looks fine , the surface of the canvas seems to hide it somewhat

have you tried some noise reduction software ?

When it's hanging on the wall in your lounge are you going to admire the photo, or look at it from six inches away to see if its grainy? :shrug:

It's not too bad until you view the actual pixels. I'm not sure if 24 x 16 with be larger than 4288 x 2848. I suppose I could give noise reduction a try if it would work.

When it's hanging on the wall in your lounge are you going to admire the photo, or look at it from six inches away to see if its grainy? :shrug:

I'm sure others would admire along with me but back of my mind I would look at the grain. Main concern is whether others (with no photo knowledge) will pick up on graininess.

Here are a couple of photos of my recent canvas prints

P1020305.jpg

P1020302.jpg

graininess is not an issue

Fantastic! Thanks to all and I think I need to stop being negative and get on with it! Thanks to all who helped, will take it in and see how we go! :) (y)

Back