2nd Attempt in manual mode this time

Edit My Images
Yes
You seem to have got the focus spot about right in most cases and the out of focus bokeh concentrates the eye on the action.

Well exposed too.

The reach of the lens at 135mm I would agree is limiting across a football field but you seem to have dealt with that well and as it is effectively x1.6 due to the crop sensor that takes it beyond the equivalent of a 200mm lens I wouldn't worry about going bigger, considering the quality that you are pulling in from these shots.

Ian Sorry I disagree 70-200 F2.8 is really needed, if planning on going an further

1. F5.6 @ 1/800 70mm
Really need to lower the F stop to isolate the players more

2 F5.6 @ 1/800 85mm
Shadows need lighten in the face as a little to dark, crop in more, as to much space on right

3 F5.6 @ 1/640 85mm
Everything missing below waist area which in turn have given you to much space at top of image

4 F5.0 @ 1/640 72mm
Tell the boy :p to grow some hands, and closer crop

5 F5.6 @ 1/640 1210mm
Tell the boy :p to grow some hands , and to much of a crop on the boy in reds head.

Much better but you need to get the F stop down as low as you can & speed up to at least 1/800 ( two did out of the 5 ), let ISO go up from the
100 that it seems to be set at

Last edited:
Hi Shaun I realise I will need to get a better lens to get better pictures an I possibly will do when I get a bit better with the camera an lenses I have.
The boy is terrible for his sleeves he always does that for some reason, Ill take on board again all that is said an will keep at it. That was the first time I shot in manual so was trying to get my head around a lot but hopefully will be better next weekend as they have two tournaments so should get a bit more practice in.

It depends at which point it goes from been a F4.5 to F5.6, but give it a run out you have nothing to lose

I don't have a igloo on canon, But on Nikon ( Manual) I normal set the shutter for 1/1000 & f2.8 and allow the ISO to range from 100 up to 6400 auto ( it does go higher if I need it)

Last edited:
Not a bad set, so well done. I'd suggest a 70-200mm f/4 lens if you are thinking of upping your kit on a budget. You need to get the shutter speed to 1/800 or faster in good light, which shouldn't be too hard even if you need to increase the iso a bit.

Problem with kids footie is inevitably there will be 'clutter' going on in the background. Just try and find the viewpoint with the least and sit there.

Not a bad set, so well done. I'd suggest a 70-200mm f/4 lens if you are thinking of upping your kit on a budget. You need to get the shutter speed to 1/800 or faster in good light, which shouldn't be too hard even if you need to increase the iso a bit.

Problem with kids footie is inevitably there will be 'clutter' going on in the background. Just try and find the viewpoint with the least and sit there.
Thank you carol I will have a look at the lens you have said, your right about the clutter at a normal game it would be fine but at the tournaments it's so busy there is stuff everywhere.

Back