2nd try at Kingfishers

What were the chosen aperture, SS, and ISO Andy?

Many thanks, I used the tamron 150-600mm i think its a good lens for the price, all of the exif should be visible on the links

Very nice, great pose in the 3rd (y)

Andy,

There some nice work in here, particularly 2,3 and 4 which all have nice poses.

From a technical perspective you've suffered from using to slow a shutter speed. Looking at one of your shots, it was at ISO 220, and you were at 1/800th. When the bird is flying in or hitting the fish on the perch you really need to be pushing that shutter speed a lot higher, it will really help with your sharpness, and whilst you have produced some decent work here, the critical sharpness is lacking a bit. I may be wrong, but these look like you've pushed the sharpening slider a bit too much to compensate for the slow shutter speed.

Try pushing the ISO a couple of stops - as long as you're not cropping too heavily then your camera will breeze ISO 800 with excellent quality, and will go higher easily with good exposure and good processing.

The framing is nice, and the near eye level POV works very well, so if you can get back to this location, then I think you can get even better results next time round.

Mike

@pooley many thanks for the tips and advice it all helps me alot, I'm planning on going again soon to give it another go, I just want better every time

I think you have some cracking shots to say is your second time you have taken these birds, no 3 is the best for me.

I've already commented elsewhere but just see these on the homepage and they deserve some more love! So here it is lol:love:.... Beautiful cuties

Yep - very good - I bet you are really pleased .. they tend to be a "star" bird

Last edited:
Superb - tried getting some good kingfisher shots earlier this week, and I can appreciate how fidgety and hard to get sharp they can be!

Beautiful birds, beautiful captures.... need I say more...... err I don't think so.

You should be well chuffed with your second try... roll on the next time.

Back