30D users - help please!

Name
Robyn
Edit My Images
No
OK - got the new camera and took it for an outing today. Fine all day using the standard kit lens - had no need to change that until I got to speedway this evening when obviously I wanted to use something longer, so changed to my Sigma 100-300mm 4.5-6.7. All went fine initially, until suddenly I started getting "error 99" messages, which, upon consulting the cameras manual, seem to be related to a camera/lens compatibility issue. I then tried a sigma 28-85mm asperical with the same result - "error 99 - shooting not possible". Trying again later it seemed fine with my tamron wide angle, and also with the sigma 100-300, but again completely failed to do anything at all when I fitted the shorter Sigma. I should add that both Sigma lenses are EOS fit and both have always worked absolutely fine with my old D30.

Anyone got any idea what the problem might be? I wasn't really in the market for upgrading lenses AND camera right now, but now it looks like I might have to! :cautious:

Your correct, that code does mean a lens related problem, dont panic though.

Try cleaning the contacts on the lens and give that a go, I've heard a few people with these issues with non Canon lenses, and a few including Canon lenses.

Warspite said:
Your correct, that code does mean a lens related problem, dont panic though.

Try cleaning the contacts on the lens and give that a go, I've heard a few people with these issues with non Canon lenses, and a few including Canon lenses.

OK - will give that a try then. Probably a silly question but what should I use to clean the contacts do you think? Just a lint-free cloth?

Thanks for the help - I was NOT a happy bunny earlier!

I would probably just try a clean lint free cloth first - basically you just want to ake sure theres no grease or anything else affecting the contact between the lens and the camera.

Thanks Warspite - I'll let you know how it goes!

If your Sigma lens is quite old it may need to be rechipped to make it compatible with the newer range of Canon cameras. If you can't get it to work by cleaning etc. conact Sigma service and ask them about it.

Steep said:
If your Sigma lens is quite old it may need to be rechipped to make it compatible with the newer range of Canon cameras. If you can't get it to work by cleaning etc. conact Sigma service and ask them about it.

Thanks Steep. The camera literally did not want to know with the shorter Sigma on board - didn't even TRY to do anything - so I'm guessing that might be the problem with that one.

if your getting err 99 for both lenses, it may be the contacts on your camera are the faulty (dirty) ones.

leoedin said:
if your getting err 99 for both lenses, it may be the contacts on your camera are the faulty (dirty) ones.

Doesn't seem likely - the camera is, after all, brand new, and it's fine with both the kit lens and my Tamron wide angle, just seems to be the two older ones that are the problem. I've used the longer lens for a while today with no problems, so hopefully that was a one-off. Haven't tried the 28-85mm today as that seemed to be a dead loss yesterday.

Might be a good excuse to upgrade.........! ;)

Back