34 weeks (one extra added)

Name
Kris
Edit My Images
No
So I have been recording the pregnancy of my girlfriend, having planned a 10, 20, 30 week transition. Had a few problems with the D750 along the way - was in for repair at 20 weeks (got it back 4 weeks later) and then failed again last week, just as I had set up for these pictures. So couldn't gamble at this late stage on the Nikon repair centre lottery and bought a backup D610 body to get these done.

I haven't done much of this low key stuff before and I know it's standard fare for pregnancy stuff but I like it nevertheless. Struggling a little tonight trying to smooth out areas with a bit of FS (really must practice properly!) but not too fussed about the crit on the processing, was looking for crit on the lighting more than anything. There's a few niggles I have but it wasn't as straightforward as I thought it would be, made more difficult from a very uncomfortable pregnant GF. I may have another go over the weekend. I realised afterwards that these things tend to work better if you both have a little skin on show....

I have a hand in the first (literally!) but does it detract from the rest of me being missing.

Last edited:
I'm certainly no expert on lighting (you'll know what I mean if you've seen my recent thread!) but what you've done here in my opinion works very well. The second shot works better, the extra hand looks a bit awkward in the first (as it's detached).

That's a big bump, are you expecting twins??!!!

I'm certainly no expert on lighting (you'll know what I mean if you've seen my recent thread!) but what you've done here in my opinion works very well. The second shot works better, the extra hand looks a bit awkward in the first (as it's detached).

That's a big bump, are you expecting twins??!!!

Thanks for the comments. I kinda prefer the lighting on the first and was what I had in mind. I have some more normal stuff but these were my lighting experiments.

I was relieved to find out that there's only the one in there. She's so petite that it does seem to ecentuate the bump and many have commented about the size. She's definitely feeling it now though, poor girl.

They're a little too "moody" for my tastes and if I'm honest, I don't like the whole half naked bump thing... I just don't get it at all. That said, I do think you've done a really nice job and photographically speaking I like them (y)

When my mrs was up the duff I went for natural light and more clothes (lol). You can see them in this post here https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/mrs-exile-maternity-part-deux.576556/

What I would say though is really make the effort to "keep going", even when the baby comes along. I took quite a few shots but even then there's loads that I felt I didn't capture - and you can't get that back unfortunately :(

They're a little too "moody" for my tastes and if I'm honest, I don't like the whole half naked bump thing... I just don't get it at all. That said, I do think you've done a really nice job and photographically speaking I like them (y)

When my mrs was up the duff I went for natural light and more clothes (lol). You can see them in this post here https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/mrs-exile-maternity-part-deux.576556/

What I would say though is really make the effort to "keep going", even when the baby comes along. I took quite a few shots but even then there's loads that I felt I didn't capture - and you can't get that back unfortunately :(

Thanks Adam, I remember those. :) I have quite a few normal, safe and fully clothed ones too ;) These were my more risque out takes. I remember Beth doing some wonderful rim lighting a while back and had that in mind for these.

Hoping to get out over the weekend and make the most of the autumnal colours as the back drop for our next pregnancy shoot.

Last edited:
Thanks Adam, I remember those. :) I have quite a few normal, safe and fully clothed ones too ;) These were my more risque out takes. I remember Beth doing some wonderful rim lighting a while back and had that in mind for these.

Hoping to get out over the weekend and make the most of the autumnal colours as the back drop for our next pregnancy shoot.

That sounds great. Look forward to seeing them (y)

Not a people shooter here, but can I just add that the 1st would be wonderful without the additional hand.
Can't see the person, or even the arm it belongs to so it does look a bit.....creepy!

I like the second one right enough though. :)

It's funny how, a week on, I'm not so keen on those edits above. This may be a little desaturated but overall I prefer it.

Lindsay%20%2034%20weeks-131-Edit-2_zpsneogohub.jpg

Last edited:
Yes for me a thousand times better. I do prefer colour photos as a rule though :)

Gaz

I really do like the style of the shoot and the 'moodiness'.It works both in colour and b&w for me but the splash of red inside your collar is slightly distracting in the colour version.

The falloff is too short, too narrow… it does not render a softer mood to the light
but a harder, heavier one. The blacks are to deep beside the well exposed skin tones.
I would use such light on a wrestler… not a bark haired mother.

As for the hand, a loving presence!

Last edited:

The falloff is too short, too narrow… it does not render a softer mood to the light
but a harder, heavier one. The blacks are to deep beside the well exposed skin tones.
I would use such light on a wrestler… not a bark haired mother.

As for the hand, a loving presence!

Interesting view, thanks. I actually used a large softbox literally just out of the frame to produce a soft effect as didn't want everything you mention above.

I guess it proves how subjective photography is, I didn't think the lighting is particularly hard, I wanted the shadows to help slim the arm and legs etc. My interpretation generally of using a black background is to emphasise the contrast between the highlighted skin tone and shadow.

I really do like the style of the shoot and the 'moodiness'.It works both in colour and b&w for me but the splash of red inside your collar is slightly distracting in the colour version.

Will lose that red too, thanks. Only noticed afterwards, was too inwardly looking at skin imperfections than the obvious.

Back