3rd place - WHITE

Name
David
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all, just wanted to share this picture with you that I entered in a club comp for the theme 'white'.

I was pleasantly surprised that the judge really liked it... The only pointers he gave was to crop the top off it and maybe a little slither off the RH side too to balance it. He also commented that he thought it would work better if flipped, but I don't agree on that one as I read and compose a photo usually from the left to the right but that's individual preference I guess.

Anyway, here it is with a score of 18 out of 20 and placed 3rd out of 23 entrants.

White
by David Raynham, on Flickr

Can anyone add anything else?

Thank you please. :)

More grey than white :p- still its a lovely image and well done for making the top three David

Les :clap:

Congrats..having just been placed 5th in an on line competition myself I know the feeling, great isn't it..I think your judges comments are valid, lovely image

Robin

I really like that - simple and very effective

?any chance of lighting set up etc re how you did it?

Re any changes only thing I can think of - and not sure it would be worth the hassle/improve it - would be to add some kind of related prop eg the nib end of an old fashioned fountain pen

Hi Chris. Lighting was all natural from the kitchen window to the right which was about 8ft away and not a particularly bright day. White A4 paper stapled together (Offset) and then taped to the worktop and pushed up from the other side to create the curves in the paper, then taped again to keep it in place. Another piece of white paper as the background. Camera on a tripod with remote release and set to aperture priority mode so it decided the exposure and shutter speed.

Here is a reworked version with a crop, slight rotation and a little lift of exposure.

WHITE
by David Raynham, on Flickr

Thanks for the comments everyone! :)

Really good image.
Simple but effective.

Hi Chris. Lighting was all natural from the kitchen window to the right which was about 8ft away and not a particularly bright day. White A4 paper stapled together (Offset) and then taped to the worktop and pushed up from the other side to create the curves in the paper, then taped again to keep it in place. Another piece of white paper as the background. Camera on a tripod with remote release and set to aperture priority mode so it decided the exposure and shutter speed.

WHITE by David Raynham, on Flickr

Thanks for the comments everyone! :)

Can't say that I can see much difference but I can say that I like both of them a lot - thanks.

I think that competitions - whoever organises them or however formal/informal they are - are great things for inspiring people to produce images they would otherwise never have thought of. Certainly applies to me:)

Simple.. effective image.

I prefer the first crop though.. the later crop is just too obvious. b****x to rules... I'm more interested in the first image.

Back