North England 4 nights in troutbeck

Name
paul
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi, ive just booked up to stay at troutbeck in the lake district. Havent been since i was young and wondering best walks and views within a short drive or even better walk. I'm so excited for May now!!

Walks and views are all around there, unstoppably, but if I was to re-live a number of scenes from my youth I'd get myself to the old Queen's Head just up the lane, prop myself against the bar that in those days at least was made from an old four-poster bed, and swig the night away possibly in the company (with a bit of time-licence) of John Peel - the original one, not the flipping late DJ.

Foxes were hunted on foot up there, by farmers trying to control lamb predation. No nobs on horseback out for a jolly gallop. Then after a long hard day you'd all come down off the fell to the farm that was hosting that particular day's hunt and tuck into mutton stew ladled out of a huge vessel on the stove.

Aaahh -

And the practice never wiped out foxes, it just moderated their numbers, which seems kind of equable in the circumstances.

Photos? Get a 1:25000 OS map if you don't already have one, and just improvise. Going high? Then know your compass.

Last edited:
As Rog says, all around is spectacular. But a couple of local ideas assuming you want off-the-road landscapes: Wansfell Pike is straight out of the back door, with great views; Red Screes and Caudale Moor, either side of Kirkstone Pass, are both fine hills (but they can both demand mountain nouse). In iffier weather, the east shore of Ullswater from Patterdale gives views and some woodland; and I enjoyed a very wet walk a few km up Deepdale. There is low-level woodland and rivers/waterfalls around Ambleside. A bit of driving and you have the whole of the central and eastern lakes to choose from.... May the weather be kind and the crowds distant!

great walk to ambleside from their, stayed in the caravan park for many a year

Back