Scotland 5 day trip to Ayr - Locations Required Please

Name
Tony
Edit My Images
Yes
I have managed to arrange a 5 day break totally by myself early November staying at Brunston Castle just outside Girvan and looking to get some local info on good landscape/seascape locations along with possible wildlife/bird places.

I will be heading up the M6 and going to go left at Gretna and take what looks to be the coastal road to Stranraer so any locations worth breaking the journey up would be good too.

If the weather is looking promising for a sunset or sunrise I may set off a day earlier on the Sunday and sleep in the car en-route also

Any thoughts of places/shots not to miss out ?

Many thanks

Tony

The coast line north of Girvan is loaded with castles - Culzean, Dunure, Greenan(Ayr). There is one a lot farther north at Portencross too with an interesting l shaped jetty. All are well photographed. I rmember an interesting great shipwreck somewhere there too but we were there at the wrong time. There are some islands just off the coast that are good for backdrops. Turnberry lighthouse.

Many thanks. Sounds promising with plenty places to search out.

Jasmine has it covered but also,

Wemyss Bay train station, a fair bit north though,
Island hop to Arran, not cheap and would probably need a couple of days,
Inland a bit, Falls of Clyde and New Lanark, although the falls are difficult to compose,
Cloisters and Glasgow Uni,
Ballast bank, Troon, great for sunsets, when they happen, and misty, rocky water.

I'd second Dunure and Portencross, Culzean and Greenan.

There's loads of places in Ayrshire, we are gifted here.

The ship wreck might be the Kaffir, at Newton Shore, Ayr.

Many thanks

Getting my list together now.

Rozzele park in ayr is good for bird shots, particularly if you take some bird seed and place it on the gate posts/tree stumps etc. The powburn at Prestwick is good for sea birds and the odd kingfisher etc.
On your way home if you go via Lockerbie I'd highly recommend a visit to eskrigg nature reserve.

Last edited:
Keep you eyes peeled for red kites.

Galloway forest area (dark skies) if you get a clear night, for milky way/star shots.

Can't believe it's only a week away now and determined to make the most of it as I realise that sunrise is late and sunset very early from this weekend so not much daytime shooting time but be nice to be in early to do some editing etc or stay a bit longer if the clouds stay clear as I believe the Galloway Forest is good for low light pollution.

Can't wait

Loch Doon has dark sky status, there's an observatory there too.

Just had a look on Flickr and that looks to be a cracking place all round.

Just had a look on Flickr and that looks to be a cracking place all round.

It's a great place to explore but needs a day really as the place is huge. If you come off the main road and go up through the forest track, which is tarmac, you'll come to the dam and you'll also be able to see the observatory tucked away in the hills. There's a bit of a cafe on the other side of the dam although I'm not sure of the opening hours. You can then drive along the single track road to the other end of the loch.

It's a great place to explore but needs a day really as the place is huge. If you come off the main road and go up through the forest track, which is tarmac, you'll come to the dam and you'll also be able to see the observatory tucked away in the hills. There's a bit of a cafe on the other side of the dam although I'm not sure of the opening hours. You can then drive along the single track road to the other end of the loch.

I have got it on my list now and will certainly be making a visit. Many thanks.

I have got it on my list now and will certainly be making a visit. Many thanks.
Be interested to see what you can capture there Tony. I'm considering a trip down from Glasgow at some point but wasn't sure whether it'd be worthwhile.

@dale: Hi Dale,

I am planning a wildlife photography trip to Western Scotland in early April 2018 with a 4x4 and it appears you have local knowledge and so I would be grateful if you could tell me what wildlife I might see if I visit Arran please.

Thanks,
Robin

Just realised that I never returned to this thread with any pics etc.

Thank you for all the advice. I had a brilliant 5 days just driving about with my camera gear stopping when I wanted and driving on when I wanted. I can certainly recommend it as a nice chill out thing to do and I managed to get some decent shots ranging from wide vistas to red kites (see small selection below)

Small Ravine by Tony Keogh, on Flickr

Loch Ken Viaduct by Tony Keogh, on Flickr

Portencross Jetty by Tony Keogh, on Flickr

Loch Doon in the Galloway Forest by Tony Keogh, on Flickr

@dale: Hi Dale,

I am planning a wildlife photography trip to Western Scotland in early April 2018 with a 4x4 and it appears you have local knowledge and so I would be grateful if you could tell me what wildlife I might see if I visit Arran please.

Thanks,
Robin

Sorry I missed this Robin.

I'm not really up to speed with Arran's wildlife although I have seen red squirrels there. It will be rich in wildlife though, if you're lucky, you'll get otters in the bays. There's always seal on the rocks.

There are a few spots that get you close to wildlife on the mainland.

Ballymack for red, kites, Lochwinnoch for birds on sticks. BOS aren't for everybody but I do indulge now and again and Lochwinnoch is great for it. There is a red squirrel reserve near Lockerbie.

If you're into waiting and hiding, then the coast is great too, The Ballast Bank at Troon is great for waders but patience and the light are key. There are various spots up and down the West Coast that will get you birds.

There are paid hides at Kirkudbright, run by Alan Mcfadyen, of Springwatch fame. Nice chap and knows his stuff. You would have to book in advance though as it is busy. You'll get sparrowhawks, kingfishers, water rail, allsorts, depending on time of year but April would probably be one of the better times to go.

Over to the east, Isle of May for puffins and terns, they'll be coming in at that time of year and not at their peak.

Last edited:
Sorry I missed this Robin.

I'm not really up to speed with Arran's wildlife although I have seen red squirrels there. It will be rich in wildlife though, if you're lucky, you'll get otters in the bays. There's always seal on the rocks.

There are a few spots that get you close to wildlife on the mainland.

Ballymack for red, kites, Lochwinnoch for birds on sticks. BOS aren't for everybody but I do indulge now and again and Lochwinnoch is great for it. There is a red squirrel reserve near Lockerbie.

If you're into waiting and hiding, then the coast is great too, The Ballast Bank at Troon is great for waders but patience and the light are key. There are various spots up and down the West Coast that will get you birds.

There are paid hides at Kirkudbright, run by Alan Mcfadyen, of Springwatch fame. Nice chap and knows his stuff. You would have to book in advance though as it is busy. You'll get sparrowhawks, kingfishers, water rail, allsorts, depending on time of year but April would probably be one of the better times to go.

Over to the east, Isle of May for puffins and terns, they'll be coming in at that time of year and not at their peak.

....Many thanks, Dale. Very helpful intel.

However, we are flying to Glasgow, picking up a Land-Rover Disco Sport at the airport and immediately northwards to Fort William for our first night. From there we plan to explore locally for just one whole day and then on to the Isles of Skye and Mull for several days each and back to Glasgow via Oban ferry.

So, we won't be going south of Glasgow at all. I know of Alan Mcfadyen's hides but am not very keen on paid hides. He does it extremely well and I'm not anti them - But they have a tendency to produce everyone's photos looking too similar and just aren't what I seek. I'd rather be out in the fresh air taking in all the environment.

I'm neither anti nor pro BOS - It simply depends what photo opportunities Lady Luck presents at the time. I do have a preference for at least a hint of the subject's natural environment if given a choice.

As we fly back home on the south coast of England on 10th April I realise we will unfortunately miss Puffins but my travelling companion works and he also has a limited pass from his wifey < Nowadays I am blissfully free of either commitment.

Back