5-layer frosted plastic diffuser - construction

GardenersHelper

In Memoriam
Name
Nick
Edit My Images
Yes
I have been trying to improve my diffusion and In this thread I looked at various combinations of packing material, parchment paper and perspex sheet in terms of how well they diffuse and how much light they lose.

Bryn @Tintin124 has recently been singing the praises of frosted plastic as a diffusion material, and his latest diffusion for the Venus looks very good indeed. Unfortunately I couldn't find any frosted plastic on line or at the local art shop, and so I bought some 3mm thick frosted perspex. This diffused well and didn't lose much light, but it was too heavy and awkward for me to want to use it.

This morning I went into my local stationers shop and they had frosted plastic. I don't know if it is exactly the same stuff that Bryn is using but it is thin, light and pliable (although it crinkles if you try to bend it in two directions at once). They had it in three weights. I bought several A4 sheets of the heaviest sheet, 150g I think, although I'm not quite sure about that (18 p each) and some of the lightest, 90g sheets, several A4 sheets (14p each) and several larger sheets (50p each). The 150g sheets didn't come in the larger sheets unfortunately.

0741 2015_06_19 01 90g frosted plastic P1010668 LR 800
by gardenersassistant, on Flickr

0741 2015_06_19 02 150g frosted plastic P1010669 LR 800

0741 2015_06_19 02a the frosted plastic is thin and pliable P1010670 LR 800

I disassembled my pie-tin diffuser and first of all worked on the cap.

0741 2015_06_19 03 Cap from previous versions P1010659 LR 800

I lined it with 90g sheet. I used self-adhesive hook and loop material ("Velcro", but from another supplier) to attach the lining to the cap, and used the same approach for fitting everything else together. The two areas not covered by the plastic sheet are pieces of Velcro used to attach the cap to the top of the diffuser bowl.

0741 2015_06_19 04 Cap lined with 90g frosted plastic P1010660 LR 800

My next move was going to be to line the diffuser bowl, but it turned out to be easier to fit a concave piece of sheet. I used the 90g sheet because I had assumed that for the lining I would need a larger piece than I could get out of an A4 sheet, which is all I had for the 150g sheet. In fact, the way it turned out I probably could have used the 150g sheet. This first layer was attached so there was an air gap between the front of the flash unit and the sheet.

0741 2015_06_19 05 First concave layer, 90g frosted plastic P1010661 LR 800

I then put a second concave layer of 90g sheet inside the bowl, with an air gap between the two concave layers.

0741 2015_06_19 06 Second concave layer, 90g frosted plastic P1010662 LR 800

Next I fitted an A4 150g sheet on the outside of the bowl.

0741 2015_06_19 07 Third layer, 150g frosted plastic P1010663 LR 800

Continued in next post ....

Next was a second A4 150g sheet, fixed to the first 150g sheet at the top and the diffuser bowl underneath, with an air gap between it and the previous layer.

0741 2015_06_19 08 Fourth layer, 150g frosted plastic P1010665 LR 800

I then fitted the cap on.

0741 2015_06_19 09 Four layers with lined cap P1010666 LR 800

I then tried the rig out photographing a battery side on. It turned out that it looked better with the cap off. With the cap on there was a narrow, brighter horizontal line at the top of the highlighted area rather than a smooth transition. So I took the cap off again. Even with the cap off the battery test didn't look as good as it had with the 4.5 layer diffuser, so I added another layer of 150g sheet, inside the other two layers, and again with an air gap.

0741 2015_06_19 10 5 layers, no cap, used for first test run P1010667 LR 800

I did another battery test and thought it still didn't have the nice smooth transition that the 4.5 layer version had achieved, but I thought I would go out into the garden and test it anyway. It did seem to need a bit less power, and perhaps that would be worth sacrificing a bit of image quality for.

I had a decent length session in the garden and found enough subjects to keep me interested, some of them the same or very similar to ones I had photographed in previous test sessions. I haven't looked through the results yet (I thought I would write this up while it was still fresh in my mind) but from what I noticed on the LCD (I often don't look at what I've just photographed because I'm concentrating on the next attempt), I think the results will be mixed, as before, with some ok and some not. I think this rig does use a bit less power than the 4.5 layer version, although not much. About a stop less I think, averaging around 1/4 power rather than 1/2 power (maybe, I'm not really sure about either number. I used manual flash setting some of the time but autoexposure quite a lot of the time because I was missing shots fiddling around manually. I reverted to manual settings when I had to, for example when photographing Dolichopodidae, which often react to the TTL pre-flash. When I did use manual settings for the most part I only thought about moving the power up or down to get a decent exposure, and didn't register what the actual power level was).

When I came back in from the garden I did a mirror test on the rig, taking off the achromat and photographing the diffuser in a mirror. It had a bright line along the top. I had thought that it wouldn't be visible from the subject's perspective, but when I looked at the angles more closely I realised that it would. So I adjusted the position of the outer layer so it extended further upwards.

0741 2015_06_19 11 After first test run, mirror test showed hot area at top, outer layer position adjusted P1010671 LR 800

I then wondered whether, having made that adjustment, the cap would work ok, without causing the brighter horizontal line at the top of the highlighted area on the battery test. So I put the cap back on (only one of the Velcro fixing pads on the underside of the cap could be used now because the front one was being used by the fifth sheet I had applied. But the cap seemed to be stable enough,

0741 2015_06_19 12 Lined cap reinstated, on five layers P1010672 LR 800

I did the battery test and joy! no bright line.

I then tried a mirror test. Here is what it looked like when the exposure was as high as possible without getting any overexposure blinkies on the LCD.

0741 2015_06_19 13 Mirror test, 5 layers with lined cap, just before over-exposure, P1910146 LR 800

It's rather lopsided. That's the result of the rather hit and miss approach I take to building these things. I suppose I could build a more elegant and symmetrical version at some point, but there's no point wasting time on that at this stage in case I end up using another approach entirely. Anyway, lopsidedness apart, I thought the illumination looked fairly even, which is promising.

Here is what it looked like with 1/3 stop more of flash power. I have marked on it where the blinkies showed on the LCD. The area really was circular.

0741 2015_06_19 14 Mirror test 1over3 stop overexposure, approximate blinky area shown P1910147 LR 800

And here is what it looked like with another 1/3 stop increase in flash power.

0741 2015_06_19 15 Mirror test 2over3 stop overexposure, approximate blinky area shown P1910148 LR 800

The rig is a bit bigger with the cap, but not vastly so, and with it being a bit bigger and more rigid at the top it won't fit in some spaces that would be possible without the cap, but I don't think it will make a huge difference. And it is hardly any heavier, so the weight of this arrangement should be fine (working without the cap this afternoon I had no problem with weight, aching wrists etc like I had with the 3mm perspex sheet, and I can use it at odd angles just as well as the previous 2.5, 3.5 and 4.5 layer versions.

I foresee another test run out in the garden. :D

I'll have a look at today's results, but maybe not tonight. In terms of how the test results look, now I've decided to give it a go with the cap, I'm now more interested in seeing the next test results, because I have a feeling that the cap improves the distribution of light a bit. But perhaps that is just wishful thinking.:)

Last edited:
Superb! Love your informative posts! Although I think any bugs seeing that beast coming from a mile off lol!

Superb! Love your informative posts! Although I think any bugs seeing that beast coming from a mile off lol!

Thanks Matt. :)

I'm sure they will be able to see it, but most of them don't seem to mind rigs like this. Some flies do fly off as soon as the flash goes off, but again, not many, and that's the flash rather than the rig as such.

The reason I'm sure they know it is there is because sometimes I get into a synchronised "dance" with a subject. I want to photograph it side on, but as I move around it does too, in lockstep. Back and forth, back and forth, too much for it to be a coincidence. It wins. I move off to try something else. It gets left in peace.

No, but that's a good idea. I've never tried video, but that would be good to try it out on. If/when it happens again I'll give it a go. Thanks for the idea John.

You do know what I meant the video showing you dancing and not the little ones?

Back