52 From Baloo 2020

I like it. Including all the space above. I think it is a very clever shot. Good one!
Thank you Joan.
Am underwater shot is different and a nice idea for the theme. I'll have to Google heart of the ocean then I might understand there image more :)
Thank you, its the knecklace thrown into the sea at the end of Titanic.
I had to zoom out a lot to see the whole image on my laptop so it ended up rather small, I get how it relates to the theme and I think it works, maybe a bit more space to the sides of the charm, It's a difficult theme to do justice to, so good on you for an entirely unique idea.
Thank you Pete I always value your opinion.
2 minds about the discarded jewellery shot mate. Get the concept. Perhaps because of that “scene” in Titanic when the jewellery is dropped into the ocean I have a pre-conceived idea of what you were trying to achieve. I like your thinking though and creativeness. Maybe a wee bit to much negative space but not much.
Thank you Dave, for your excellent critique, I had never tried shooting anything underwater, it was fun trying though and I will be experimenting more.

That's pretty creative Roger, and brave too...did you dunk your camera?;)
I can see where you were going with this image, with the use of negative space, and I think that given the context of the necklace in that famous scene in 'that' film, it works very well.
I quite like the 'misty' underwater look...gives it an ethereal, other-worldly feel, which works for me.
Nice work!(y)

I wasn't sure if it was oof or underwater thought maybe it was a shot you had discarded, so your description and others comment explained it is underwater and now I see what you were going for looking at it since on flicker where I can see the whole thing I get.

Last edited:
Ok.. googled the background so makes more sense. Good thinking on the theme.

I like the negative space, subtle colour and the abstract feel to it. Probably needs to be seen on a decent size monitor to have impact.

Right on theme I think, but to out of focussy for me...

I like it. Really good use of negative space and very imaginative.

Can get the idea, but viewed on an iPad in landscape mode the emptiness of the image is more evident, although maybe that adds weight to conveying the object being underwater. Would benefit from a slight crop (IMO) but not sure how other aspects of processing would enhance it

Last edited:
That's pretty creative Roger, and brave too...did you dunk your camera?;)
I can see where you were going with this image, with the use of negative space, and I think that given the context of the necklace in that famous scene in 'that' film, it works very well.
I quite like the 'misty' underwater look...gives it an ethereal, other-worldly feel, which works for me.
Nice work!(y)
Thanks Gareth did not get the camera wet but a six foot six biker led on a beach taking a picture of a necklace underwater did get some unusual looks!
I'm glad I guessed straightaway that it was underwater so it made sense to me from the start, and the negative space underlines the underwater feel for me. Another unusual idea Roger and it conveys a sense of sadness.
Thank you Andrea, I was hoping to convey a sense of loss/sadness.
I wasn't sure if it was oof or underwater thought maybe it was a shot you had discarded, so your description and others comment explained it is underwater and now I see what you were going for looking at it since on flicker where I can see the whole thing I get.
Thank you Minx appreciate your comments.
Ok.. googled the background so makes more sense. Good thinking on the theme.
Thank you Helen.
I like the negative space, subtle colour and the abstract feel to it. Probably needs to be seen on a decent size monitor to have impact.
Thank you, I rather suspect those who quite liked it looked at it on a big screen.
Now I know it is underwater I like it more.
Thanks Clive.
Right on theme I think, but to out of focussy for me...
Thanks for dropping by.
I like your idea and the thought behind the shot. The negative space composition works to a certain degree but feel its a bit too 'staged' for the theme. The jewellery is too new looking to be discarded.
Thanks Stan.
I like it. Really good use of negative space and very imaginative.
Thank you Wibbly for your kind comments.
Can get the idea, but viewed on an iPad in landscape mode the emptiness of the image is more evident, although maybe that adds weight to conveying the object being underwater. Would benefit from a slight crop (IMO) but not sure how other aspects of processing would enhance it
Thank you Stuart, not really looked at it on a tiny screen.

Ok got it more or less straight away I agree it looks out of focus but I guess that's the look yo were going for so it worked. I would have been tempted to use a polariser myself. An original take on the theme.

Ok got it more or less straight away I agree it looks out of focus but I guess that's the look yo were going for so it worked. I would have been tempted to use a polariser myself. An original take on the theme.
Thanks Mark, not got a poleriser but might invest in one particularly if I go shooting Carp!

There is some very fine detail there Roger (y)

Hi Roger

Nice Jackdor, do you know it well?
Love the details and how sharp the feathers are, great image.

Pete

Thanks folks, cheating a little bit as my fiance rescued him from the A30, sadly do not think he will fly again so he is destined to spend his life around the small holding. Lives happily on the bookshelf at the moment.

Hi Roger,
Tool is a nice find and well taken. I like how you have processed it.
Discarded is an interesting shot. I kind of blow hot and cold with it though. I like the idea and the negative space. I'm guessing the water was moving fast or the shutter speed was on the slow side? It's the slightly milky / long exposure look that doesn't work for me.
Snappers choice is a very sharp shot of Mr Biggles. The detail in the eye and feathers along with the subtle colours is excellent.

The eye is so sharp it makes him look quite evil.. or maybe I am remembering The Birds too well. Very crisp image.

Lovely shot and great eye - both of you :D

Hi Roger, good on your fiancé. Cheating or not this is still a fab photo, and your little friend is more than happy be pose for you and is probably relieved not to be someone else’s dinner. Beautifully sharp and the colours are outstanding. Enjoy your house guest :)

Hi Roger,
Tool is a nice find and well taken. I like how you have processed it.
Discarded is an interesting shot. I kind of blow hot and cold with it though. I like the idea and the negative space. I'm guessing the water was moving fast or the shutter speed was on the slow side? It's the slightly milky / long exposure look that doesn't work for me.
Snappers choice is a very sharp shot of Mr Biggles. The detail in the eye and feathers along with the subtle colours is excellent.
Thanks for visiting and commenting, appreciated.
The eye is so sharp it makes him look quite evil.. or maybe I am remembering The Birds too well. Very crisp image.
Thank you, he is actually very friendly.
Lovely shot and great eye - both of you :D
Cheers Dave
Great portrait, so sharp.
Thank you Clive.
Hi Roger, good on your fiancé. Cheating or not this is still a fab photo, and your little friend is more than happy be pose for you and is probably relieved not to be someone else’s dinner. Beautifully sharp and the colours are outstanding. Enjoy your house guest :)
He is now part of the family, along with three horses and the dog.
Very nice detail indeed I like it a lot.
Thank you.

might have been cheating if the theme was wild but can't go wrong with snappers choice, great detail

The Wild One 2020 (Pastiche)

TP52 Wild One 2020 (Pastiche) by R Hillman, on Flickr

So a picture of the love of my life, the one I cannot be without, who brightens up every day, but enough about my motorbike!

Last edited:
Nice feel to this :)

Great picture, right mood setting, and like the sepia b&w to give the effect
Thank you Heather, I was surprised Clare let me take the picture let alone post it on the web!

Excellent image - she looks great so not surprising you're allowed to post it.

Back