Non UK 60 Year Old - European Month Long Tour in 2019

Name
Tony
Edit My Images
Yes
Hitting the big 60 next February and determined to have a month off work and take my MGB GT and wife (if she really insists) round parts of Europe and of course coming back with some great images is very high on my list of organisational priorities that I am now working on.

I am not too bothered about hitting big cities that we could do on "city breaks" etc so initial thoughts are to head down to the South of France and go along the coast and then take in the Alps (went skiing at Courmayeur years ago at the bottom of the Italian side of Mont Blanc and really want to see it in without all the snow) and do a few mountain passes including seeing the Matterhorn and the Dolomites

Open to ideas and suggestions etc (fancy a few lakes too)

One thing we will definitely do is keep the daily driving to a sensible level and have a "quality" visit rather than a "whistle stop" tour

Thinking of possibly June or Mid Sept but really need advice on this to get maximum photographic benefit

Many thanks

Tony

Thanks for these so far. Starting to build a google maps list of possible locations. It’s starting to come together already.

Yes, Tuscany is somewhere I've wanted to go since watching one of those tv programmes years ago when people got to re-locate for a few months before making the final yes or no choice

Looked to be a beautiful place and far from the madding crowd which is what I want.

My days of sunning it up in Torremolinos are well behind me lol.

Try to take in the Cathar Castles incredible roads, valleys and views. That is just the name given by the tourists industry but they are fantastic.

Perhaps have a look at the Loire Valley region in France on your way through? There's some beautiful countryside, vineyards and some fantastic looking chateaus, and these days with Google Earth/street view you can find some of the best bits to visit before you go! Timing wise, we used to go to France for the first two weeks in June in the early 1970s and the weather was usually good then, plenty of sunshine and some lovely mists in the early mornings, very photogenic.

Last edited:
Just a thought re timing: if you're heading for the mountains at all (Alps) in June there may still be snow around and the wild flowers and other wildlife should be stunning, whereas in autumn this will be less so. Some of the mountain passes may still be closed in June.

Closed in June because there is too much snow on them ??

The Tarn Gorge in SE France, and some other similar ones nearby.
I love inland Provence - Castellan and passes over the Alpes Maritime
Only the highest minor routes are likely to be closed until June (sometimes) but early in the season is a good time to visit.

Last edited:
If you''re near the North of Italy, drive North to the area around Neuschwanstein, proper food, proper beer and stunning views

Stresa in Italy. On the shore of Lake Maggiore. Visit the islands especially Isola Bella.

Many thanks

This place seems to be very highly recommended and could end up being a base for a few days to explore the lake and islands via boat.

Amalfi Coast (Naples and Sorrento) if continue south.............

Many thanks

Amazing places but the more I plan the more I find and think going farther south may need to wait for another trip

Tuscany is in the middle of a lot of the above suggestions, you could happily spend weeks there

Personally I'd go Sept not June especially in an MGB, June can be very hot whereas Sept should be nice mid to high 20s, much more compatible with an MGB!!!

Many thanks

Yes, I'm beginning to wonder if Florence and Tuscany might be better done another year as there is so much to see.

Just a thought re timing: if you're heading for the mountains at all (Alps) in June there may still be snow around and the wild flowers and other wildlife should be stunning, whereas in autumn this will be less so. Some of the mountain passes may still be closed in June.

Many thanks

June would ideally be our first choice but my job is much busier in June but less so in September so better work wise. Decisions, decisions lol

Try to take in the Cathar Castles incredible roads, valleys and views. That is just the name given by the tourists industry but they are fantastic.

Many thanks

Not heard of this but will add it to my research list.

Perhaps have a look at the Loire Valley region in France on your way through? There's some beautiful countryside, vineyards and some fantastic looking chateaus, and these days with Google Earth/street view you can find some of the best bits to visit before you go! Timing wise, we used to go to France for the first two weeks in June in the early 1970s and the weather was usually good then, plenty of sunshine and some lovely mists in the early mornings, very photogenic.

Many thanks

Yes, I need to be pre-planning a few photographic opportunities en-route conveniently placed at our pit stops lol

The Tarn Gorge in SE France, and some other similar ones nearby.
I love inland Provence - Castellan and passes over the Alpes Maritime
Only the highest minor routes are likely to be closed until June (sometimes) but early in the season is a good time to visit.

Many thanks

More info for my research folder, thank you.

If you''re near the North of Italy, drive North to the area around Neuschwanstein, proper food, proper beer and stunning views

Many thanks

Food, beer AND photography sounds like my dream location lol

Many thanks

This place seems to be very highly recommended and could end up being a base for a few days to explore the lake and islands via boat.
We've had a couple of holidays staying there. The boats on the lake are superb. Take the schedulded ones rather than the freelance guys. We've been all over the lake and islands. Easy to fill a week from there. We've even used the trains to go to places like Verona and Zermatt. Their trains run on time and are reasonably priced.

Back