60009 Union of South Africa

Hi John. The first of these 2 for me, the lower angle is, I feel, better. THough I know I take a lot of mine from bridges as that's often the only available vantage point.
Quite like that you've included the young lady enthusiast taking a shot with her mobile phone in the second shot. Contrasts the old and the new.

Hi John. The first of these 2 for me, the lower angle is, I feel, better. THough I know I take a lot of mine from bridges as that's often the only available vantage point.
Quite like that you've included the young lady enthusiast taking a shot with her mobile phone in the second shot. Contrasts the old and the new.

Cheers,Tim..I quite like the first one too. There were only three or four photographers there. Behind me is a fence and woodland. One chap came along with a large video and a ladder ,climbed the fence (only 6' by the platform) dropped down into the woods going alongside the railway's 8ft. fencing and used his ladder. The mind boggles.

I thought about cloning out the lady with the phone because I like photos to be as clean as possible within reason but I think it could have been messy getting the railings back. I hadn't thought of that though,old and new. I'm about to post old and new. Old signal box and the Hitachi 800/801.

Thanks,Michael. I'm a big fan of low angle shots for trains,makes a real difference.

Couple of nice shots - I prefer No2. Maybe No1 with a letterbox crop to remove the bridge.

Couple of nice shots - I prefer No2. Maybe No1 with a letterbox crop to remove the bridge.

Cheers, Dave. I've just cropped one of the spare shots which I hadn't edited, to eliminate the bridge and it looks good, much better I can now see how much the bridge dominated and it now looks ugly.I'll now crop the other one.,the keeper. Infact .After posting the amended version I didn't like the lampost on the left so that's gone too.Photo 2.

Much appreciated advice - thanks.(y)

2qth7pd.jpg

t7dh6w.jpg

Last edited:
Back