60163 'Tornado' Loco

Nice

Is there a list somewhere on line showing these ideal photo locations or is it all a closely guarded secret

Well, Paul..when you get to those locations you do know get chatting to others there and over time you will build up a location knowledge. Another tip... take a two or three-step ladder and a bean bag.

Here's one website to help.http://www.trainspots.co.uk/about.htm

I just took a look at where you are..Kent, so miles from me and also Sir Toni. (Stuart).

Here's another way. Choose the loco you want to see..I suspect having the time to go to see it will be an issue. I assume you know about UKSteam with the listings. I have an AA road map with the railways highlighted in red so I know the route in more detail than page 1 of the Tour listings if Realtimetrains (RTT) isn't available..having said that you know the times and start location and destination so you can google RTT and input that info. If you don't know let me know and I'll send you a PM. When you know that then go on Google Earth,find the railway tracks and look for road bridges and railway crossings. With road bridges zoom right down to the road and double click and get on the road. Get on the bridge and turn the Google camera around to the railway and see what sort of view you get. Takes time but it will save wasted journeys. Also, check the steam is still on it before you leave home. I did that one Sunday morning with a near 3 hour journey ahead of me..just there..6 hours return..only to see that Princess Elizabeth had been replaced with a diesel. I was almost walking out of the door at 7.00am and just decided to check it had left London.

Well done John ... and not a bird in sight! :D

Hi John.
I really like the first (wider) shot under the arches. Combining both the loco and the lovely old railway architecture.
It's interesting how there appears to be a fair bit of shadow, yet the sky looks overcast. Angles I guess.

Hi John, just thought I hadn't looked in this section for a bit, I quite like the 3rd take there, looks like you had some nice light.

Thanks, Michael.Sydney Gardens ,Bath was a target location for me for quite a while,it really is an appealing location for steam loco shots. Not many locos are posted compared to aircraft and cars, for instance so I think most of us forget to call in on this Transport section the we suddenly remember..Lol.. I see we're having a good run lately.:)

Last edited:
Well done John ... and not a bird in sight! :D

Thanks Roger..Very nice to see you pop into this forum but as you say, not a bird in sight. Lol.

I'm editing my shots from Friday last at Slimbridge so I'll be back over in to Birds soon.I think my loco photos are somewhat better than my birds but I'm working on that. :D

Hi John.
I really like the first (wider) shot under the arches. Combining both the loco and the lovely old railway architecture.
It's interesting how there appears to be a fair bit of shadow, yet the sky looks overcast. Angles I guess.

Thanks,Tim. Sydney Gardens has to be one of,if no,t my favourite locations for the reason you point out..the architecture, 18th. century. As it took your eye you'll probably like to read this
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sydney_Gardens

Re. the light, one minute the sun was shining bright ,the next over came a cloud so I think that would account for the shadows… ie. a bit of both as I took the shots. Also, what's good is that the train would be in Bath station within minute (then onto Bristol) so they run through there fairly slowly.

Oooh, it has a canal as well. Result... Sounds like a great location.

Yes it's the Kennet & Avon and whilst I was there someone told me where to go..people often do that,you know..Lol. He told me in what area of the gardens to go to get the canal in the shot unfortunately, rather confusing directions but it would be easy to find. I got the general direction.It's the same canal side I go to at Crofton near Great Bedwyn with the trains up on an embankment running alongside it.

Great shot and a great spot!

Great shot and a great spot!

Thank you. It's one of my favourite locations. I'd like to get 60009 there too and that should be possible as it's not going back to the owner in Scotland until either next years or early 2019.

Back