60163 Tornado

Name
Michael
Edit My Images
No
Seen here at Alfreton, it only has very slim platforms and there was a few there this time, so I opted for the bridge, the 2nd at the end of the platform holding above heads and kind of guessing, my screen doesn't angle on my camera!

tornado @ Alfreton #1 by Michael Johnson, on Flickr

tornado @ Alfreton #2 by Michael Johnson, on Flickr

Next a new location, accoriding to my gps tracker on my phone there and back was just over 3.5 miles of walking! I like the site, but the walk bridge has high metal boarding, I couldn't see the screen on my 7dmk2 so luckilly Ihad my daughters panasonic g7 with me, but only the standard zoom, still a nice pic though I think, I can't seem to do anything with the bright area of the sky on these jpegs.

tornado by Michael Johnson, on Flickr

tornado 2 by Michael Johnson, on Flickr

Comments welcome as always and thank you for looking.

Good clean,sharp shots,Michael.I really like the first one. You make a better job of post editing than I do. I always take a 3-step ladder with me and also a bean bag (bag with two unopened packs of the cheapest rice) to lay on a bridge top if it's wide enough. However, you still did very well.

Hoping to catch Lizzie on the 23rd. It's her inaugural run after overhaul. I want it especially for my 2017 calendar. I just hope the weather is good..some hope.. Ugh. The forecast on Accuweather isn't good but they can only forecast with a decent amount of accuracy up to 3-5 days so I just hope for the best. I'll be trackside although it runs alongside the same canal..Kennet and Avon as in my 'Galatea' photo. I'd just like to be up close for that one.

Good clean,sharp shots,Michael.I really like the first one. You make a better job of post editing than I do. I always take a 3-step ladder with me and also a bean bag (bag with two unopened packs of the cheapest rice) to lay on a bridge top if it's wide enough. However, you still did very well.

Hoping to catch Lizzie on the 23rd. It's her inaugural run after overhaul. I want it especially for my 2017 calendar. I just hope the weather is good..some hope.. Ugh. The forecast on Accuweather isn't good but they can only forecast with a decent amount of accuracy up to 3-5 days so I just hope for the best. I'll be trackside although it runs alongside the same canal..Kennet and Avon as in my 'Galatea' photo. I'd just like to be up close for that one.

Thanks John for the comments, If I can get, I have another chance of getting Princess Elizabeth on Wednesday this week, she is doing her test run on the main line.
What software do you use for editing?
I use adobe elements 14 and i have the nik collection which is now a free download which includes a good suite of b+w options along with other colour stuff.

Hi Michael..I use Lightroom4.Infact last night I was obviously thinking about your first photo and other too and thought that maybe they were HDR but as far as I know for HDR you need three shots..I think… and with Tornado you wouldn't have had that opportunity so it's down to normal editing. My sharpening ( called clarity in Lightroom) I set on about 45,I don't like taking too high as it then looks unnatural. LR 4 doesn't have a clone tool so I have Elements11 for that, I just edit in LR and then send it to Elements and back again. There's absolutely no need for me to have the comprehensive full Photoshop as I think it's designed for people who enjoy all sorts of protracted editing and innovation. My neighbour takes many photos from his library and blends them, that sort of thing.

When I see Princess Elizabeth it will be her first Tour post overhaul so you'll get to see her first then on a test run. I hope it goes well so it's not yet another cancellation. They've just cancelled a Tangmere Tou on r the 21st. (Bristol to Pembroke Dock) and I'd have gone to Rogiet just over the border in South Wales to catch it as it came from the Severn Tunnel at the Severn Tunnel Junction railway station.They don't often take that route so it's a shame however, two days later,though is Princess Elizabeth.If all goes well with her then hopefully, there'll be a lot more opportunity to catch her and at different locations.

Severn Crossing https://www.thetrainline.com/stations/severn-tunnel-junction

It's a good open view too from the road bridge. Tangmere would have been on then left hand side track looking from the road bridge.It was a great view on Google Earth which I use a lot for the railways,they have the 360 degree view,as you know, so you can see the view of the tracks from any bridge. http://www.railfaneurope.net/pix/gb/station/Severn_Tunnel_Junction/stationfromeast-01.jpg

btw. I took a look at your Flickr -a lot of really good photos on there. I thought there'd be quite a few locos that I hadn't seen on here and of course there were.

Hi John, I very rearly dabble in hdr, you can use the same techniques on a single image, but the process is better with 3 or more images. For my editing if its my canon kit, I use adobe camera raw and alter shadows, highlights, saturation, contrast and blacks, wb if necessary, I then finish off in elements where I can use the nik plugins with a sharpen of around 102 and radius of 0.2 I think, I can't justify the cost of the full suite either, only thing I may do is upgrade to elements 14 for the panasonic raw file support. I have amounted quite a few pics on flickr, can't remember which steam I have photographed sometimes. Fingers crossed for Elizabeths test run.

Cheers,Michael. I managed to get the NIK suite free as I'd bought it within the 2 year period after it was taken over by Google. so I'll take a photo or two into it. I don't know why Google did that as it costs about £450. I carry out all the other adjustments you mentioned . I saw what a difference KQc made to a bi-plane shot that was posted so I need to try that too.

Back