Beginner 60d and what lens?

Name
Adam
Edit My Images
Yes
Iv just bought a 60d but yet to buy a lens to go with it as I'm a tad unsure.

I have my brothers wedding coming up at a registry office not a church and will use it for that, I also take the kids out to zoos a lot so plenty of pics of animals and kids.

I won't necessarily be taking landscapes etc so don't think I'm too fussed about wide angle.

so I have been looking at a canon 24-105L f4 and then potentially a 70-200 f4L. I know with the crop factor I will lose the wide angle but not really sure if it will be a problem for me.

Any thoughts or opinions please?

Much appreciated in advance

I have been through a similar debate myself - it really depends on what you want.

If I am just going for a walk around and want to take a 'do it all' lens then i'll take my Canon 18-200 with me. Wide and long all in one lens. Lots on this forum will say it is horrendous with image quality but in reality its just not that bad. If I am going to take photos of something nice I have my Sigma 17-55 f2.8 and Sigma 100-300 f4 which are both good.

I have tried a friends 24-70 f2.8 and found that at 24 it just wasn't wide enough for me.

If I was you I would go to a camera shop and try our the lenses see which would be best. I would also try and take a trip down to the registry office to see how much light is there and start to plan some of your images.

One last thing- Get a Canon 50mm f1.8. They are around £80 new from places like Currys and are worth every penny.

Get a ... 50mm f1.8.
That. It'll contribute a discipline to what you do. It might be useless for animals at the zoo but you don't actually need those shots - they've been done better already and ad infinitum. But for the kids and as an all-round knockabout lens it should be ace - sharp, adaptable, flare-resistant ...

Hi think crop factor with a 60d a 17-70 works for you, the 70-200 is also great lens

Sigma 17-70 was one of my possibilities to be honest. And the nifty fifty was always one I would get at some point. Wether was the 1.8 or 1.4

I won't necessarily be taking landscapes etc so don't think I'm too fussed about wide angle.

so I have been looking at a canon 24-105L f4 and then potentially a 70-200 f4L. I know with the crop factor I will lose the wide angle but not really sure if it will be a problem for me.
I think you'll be surprised how often focal lengths wider than 24mm are useful on a crop sensor, even if you don't do landscapes. The Canon 15-85, Sigma 17-70 or Canon 17-55 f/2.8 would be much better for you.

Depending on what you want to do, have a look at the following:

Tamron 17-270 f4-5.6
Canon 17-85 f4-5.6
Canon 70-200 f4
Sigma 120-400 f4-5.6 (if you want really long)

and all of the ones suggested above.

Another vote for the Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8-4 DC OS HSM (Contemporary). If Sigma ever makes another DSLR, this should be its kit option - it's excellent optically, and has a great range, both in zoom and in variable maximum aperture.
Even if you don't think you'll need anything wider than 24mm, it's absolutely worth having.
This lens is, basically, the APS-C version of Canon's 24-105mm f/4.

I have the sigma 17-70os and i agree its a very good lens. Its kept company by my 70-200Lis f4 which I went for as it was a lot lighter than the 2.8 and with the 50 1.8 they travel the world with me

It might be useless for animals at the zoo but you don't actually need those shots - they've been done better already and ad infinitum.

I'm sorry but comments like this really wind me up. The OP has no need to take photos of animals at the Zoo because someone somewhere has already taken better pictures? Just plain weird. "Do you remember when we went to the Zoo dear?" "Yes I do, hang on I'll just go to flickr and see the pictures"

Where do you draw the line? Visit Paris but not take a picture of the tower because someone has already taken better pictures, don't bother running a marathon because someones done it faster? Forget about painting a picture of a bowl of fruit as there are way better ones out there?

Haha yeah. Well iv bought the sigma 17-50 2.8 for now and ill see how I get on with the wider end. Bought it used for a good price so if it's too wide and not enough range for my liking then I should atleast be able to break even, if I decide to sell and change lens.

Thanks for all the advice

Back