70013 Oliver Cromwell

Name
John
Edit My Images
Yes
This loco fell behind schedule by 72 minutes at its latest then made up time and arrived at Bath 38 minutes late. Unfortunately, by then, the hitherto good skies started to cloud over requiring 1600 ISO. I took the station photo and then left and ran to a nearby spot to catch it leaving. There were a lot of enthusiasts to my left on the platform so I had to have a tight angle. When I arrived I could see the full length of incoming trains,not so as Oliver Cromwell arrived. As the loco travels across the viaduct it goes behind turrets,the second one is ahead of it hence the lack of space in front. There's a short distance between the turrets to get this shot. There's a turret to the left too.

Nothing my way until February 10th. so might have to travel a way.

mht7uv.jpg

988x34.jpg

2hxr0k5.jpg

2lc5zyw.jpg

#1 would be my pick John, I think colour brings so much more. :)
Amazing not to get any other enthusiasts/travellers in the frame.

#1 would be my pick John, I think colour brings so much more. :)
Amazing not to get any other enthusiasts/travellers in the frame.

Always a conundrum for me, Roger but generally it's the colour for me too.

Re.. the crowds,here's a video of it..not mine. I was on the opposite platform, far end, to the person making this video..I'd gone before the train left but at the end of the steam loco bit as it pulled away towards Bristol you can see all the people at the far end of the platform. That's where I stood before leaving the station to get it going over the viaduct.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5oGBzkIvDws

Always a conundrum for me, Roger but generally it's the colour for me too.

Re.. the crowds,here's a video of it..not mine. I was on the opposite platform, far end, to the person making this video..I'd gone before the train left but at the end of the steam loco bit as it pulled away towards Bristol you can see all the people at the far end of the platform. That's where I stood before leaving the station to get it going over the viaduct.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5oGBzkIvDws

Surprised that there weren't even more people on the platforms John.

Surprised that there weren't even more people on the platforms John.

If it had been the weekend I think there would have been. I don't really like going to stations for this reason and prefer out in the countryside. As the loco comes into a station people lose all sense of awareness and step infront of the lens or video.I think it's just because they are fully focused on getting a shot and forget others are behind them rather than a couldn't care less attitude. They can sometimes be people you've been amiably chatting to for an hour too.

The last B&W looks a bit grim now. I've always said to go back to a photo hours later or even the following day as it often looks different..ie. needs more exposure or doesn't look right.

Last edited:
If it had been the weekend I think there would have been. I don't really like going to stations for this reason and prefer out in the countryside. As the loco comes into a station people lose all sense of awareness and step infront of the lens or video.I think it's just because they are fully focused on getting a shot and forget others are behind them rather than a couldn't care less attitude. They can sometimes be people you've been amiably chatting to for an hour too.

The last B&W looks a bit grim now. I've always said to go back to a photo hours later or even the following day as it often looks different..ie. needs more exposure or doesn't look right.

Did I spot you in the video as the train was drawing out of the station? :D

No2 and No3 for me I enjoy looking at a B/W but No4 is noy as good as No3. Could do with a little more in front of the one on the viaduct, but a good set of photo's.

Trevor

Liking number 2 John, the b+w working well for me here, shame you didn't have a bit more light on the bridge shot, the colour is my preferred one of those.

May get 45212 with empty coaching stock on a move on saturday, (my sons birthday, plans will be made last minute if its doable!)

After that nothing my way until March iirc.

Did I spot you in the video as the train was drawing out of the station? :D

No,weren't me Gov..honest. :)

I took a few photos and legged out of the station, past the bus station to catch it going over the viaduct.Just 100 metres or so.

No2 and No3 for me I enjoy looking at a B/W but No4 is noy as good as No3. Could do with a little more in front of the one on the viaduct, but a good set of photo's.

Trevor

Thanks,Trevor. Re. the space in front I did anticipate that comment so I got in first.. :)

Last couple of lines in the main paragraph. I cropped out the start of the turret,you wouldn't have seen the loco. I found this so you can see the problem https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attra...s-St_James_Viaduct-Bath_Somerset_England.html

I mentioned to Gramps..above..that a day later looking at number 4 it's too dark.Last para. I agree with you. not too good.

Liking number 2 John, the b+w working well for me here, shame you didn't have a bit more light on the bridge shot, the colour is my preferred one of those.

May get 45212 with empty coaching stock on a move on saturday, (my sons birthday, plans will be made last minute if its doable!)

After that nothing my way until March iirc.

Cheers,Michael. You're right,the light wasn't as good as it left the station. It wasn't brilliant at the station either. As I mentioned in my write-up had it been on time and not 38 minutes late I would have had good light. There was just very thin high cloud but thickening every minute , in addition the background in the viaduct shot was much darker .It hasn't really worked with the viaduct shot,the B&W one, which,rightly so, we're all agreed on. :)

Re. the Black Five on Saturday, as an extra birthday present why not take your son to see it but will you get away with it or will everyone see through that one ? :D

Nothing our way until February 10th. then March 1st. For February 10th Paddington > Worcester (TBA) so I'll probably go to Kingham near Moreton-in-Marsh. March 1st. Oliver Cromwell. Paddington > Cardiff.That will come through Gloucester.Just a matter of choosing a good spot. Coming through the Stroud Valley from Paddington it's down hill,going to Paddington it's uphill so locos work hard. No rush though, is there..March 1st.Ugh.

Cheers,Michael. You're right,the light wasn't as good as it left the station. It wasn't brilliant at the station either. As I mentioned in my write-up had it been on time and not 38 minutes late I would have had good light. There was just very thin high cloud but thickening every minute , in addition the background in the viaduct shot was much darker .It hasn't really worked with the viaduct shot,the B&W one, which,rightly so, we're all agreed on. :)

Re. the Black Five on Saturday, as an extra birthday present why not take your son to see it but will you get away with it or will everyone see through that one ? :D

Nothing our way until February 10th. then March 1st. For February 10th Paddington > Worcester (TBA) so I'll probably go to Kingham near Moreton-in-Marsh. March 1st. Oliver Cromwell. Paddington > Cardiff.That will come through Gloucester.Just a matter of choosing a good spot. Coming through the Stroud Valley from Paddington it's down hill,going to Paddington it's uphill so locos work hard. No rush though, is there..March 1st.Ugh.

Seems so far away doesn't it. Luckily we all like trains, so should be ok, if we are able to get.

Back