9th visit to the 52's! COMPLETED!!

Oh yes - nice Standard 4 - hoping she's back on the ELR this weekend for the Steam Gala :D

Thanks Dave, it looks like she will be at the ELR, just saw a tweet from them, look forward to seeing your pics! A shame I can't get, only been up there once.

Hmm, I can't pick between the two. I love the deep contrast in the b&w but I also like the colours and feel of the colour. Both are awesome :)

Thanks Carl for the great comments, much appreciated.

That’s a fascinating image for Object, I like the close crop.

I agree with Carl it’s hard to choose between the b&w or the colour for Wet, I think for me it’s the colour, it looks like an artwork, excellent perspective too.

Thank you Susie, pleased you like them, the more I look at the colour version the more I like it.

I`ll go got the b&w as like the contrast in it, plus the smoke shows up better.

Thank you Dave, much appreciated.

Fantastic images Michael!
I'm with Carl....I can't decide which I prefer....both are terrific!
The wetness of the platform perhaps plays better in the B&W image....such great contrasts.
They're both such a joy to look at....excellent work indeed!(y)

Thank you Gareth, I too liked the look of the wet platform in the b+w. Pleased you like them!

Right onto this weeks free theme, I was out (Thursday morning) to capture 6233, Duchess Of Sutherland on her light loco move to Southall from her home, The West Shed, Midland Railway, Butterley after being there for winter maintenance.

Photographed here in a location I have only been too once before. This is right next to Ratcliffe On Soar power station, I wanted to get it with the power station in view. A ittle awkward with foreground platform distractions, I have cropped these out.

6233, Duchess Of Sutherland by Michael Johnson, on Flickr

I'm going to include this one in the post too, I like them both for different reasons. Preferring the light on this one.

6233, Duchess Of Sutherland by Michael Johnson, on Flickr

I love these images because my first Hornby train set was the Duchess of Sutherland (plus, the images are great too of course)

I like them both too, The first has a very interesting background and is really well composed, but as you say the light in the second one is better which really brings out the colours in the trees.

WET - Both great shots. I would say the B/W wins by a short neck.
FREE - Again two very good shots. The first with the power station backdrop is especially good.

Last edited:
That's a nice image. Plenty of wet for theme but love the mono version. Nice tones to it

I like the first one. It kind of transports you back to times gone by where the world was very much more industrial

Free week

I like the setting of the first, with the cooling towers, but the second photo has more dynamic colours.

Love the last two train shots Michael. I can decide between the colour and mono both have something.
Free definitely the last one the colours are great, the composition really works

I love these images because my first Hornby train set was the Duchess of Sutherland (plus, the images are great too of course)
I like them both too, The first has a very interesting background and is really well composed, but as you say the light in the second one is better which really brings out the colours in the trees.
I agree - I really like the composition on the first but the light in the second is very nice and makes the loco really pop.
WET - Both great shots. I would say the B/W wins by a short neck.
FREE - Again two very good shots. The first with the power station backdrop is especially good.
That's a nice image. Plenty of wet for theme but love the mono version. Nice tones to it
I like the first one. It kind of transports you back to times gone by where the world was very much more industrial
Two fantastic images Michael!
Extraordinary detail and beautiful, rich colours, both are perfectly composed too.
The light you had on #2 is great.
Great work indeed!(y)
Love the composition of that first one Michael, those huge cooling towers (?) really add dimension to the composition.
Free week

I like the setting of the first, with the cooling towers, but the second photo has more dynamic colours.
Love the last two train shots Michael. I can decide between the colour and mono both have something.
Free definitely the last one the colours are great, the composition really works

Thank you all for the great comments there, appreciated as always.

I really like the idea but I think the DoF is a little to shallow I think we need a little more definition

Great idea, I'd agree about the Dof though

I will have to agree with others on focus. I actually thought it was looking into a restaurant.

I really like the idea but I think the DoF is a little to shallow I think we need a little more definition
A very good take on the theme. I like that mysterious feel and wondering what those OOF goodies are?
Great idea, I'd agree about the Dof though
I will have to agree with others on focus. I actually thought it was looking into a restaurant.

Thanks all, I liked the focus on it myself, but I agree a bit more dof would work, here is another one I took, did a square crop on this as the crease in the curtain was to distracting in this shot, focus was through to the other side rather than on the curtain.

IMG_7969 by Michael Johnson, on Flickr

Having seen what's behind the curtain, I'd go for the mystery element of the first!!
Great idea for the theme, quite different from the majority.

Very clever for entrance. I like it that everything beyond the curtain is out of focus to keep you wondering what's there

Cool shot Michael for entrance, if I had to pick it would be the first as it gets you guessing what`s behind it.
Very creative interpretation Michael.
I like the first image too....it has some mystery to it, which works nicely, and the bokeh is jolly decent!
(y)
I like the first one too, and with the caption it fits the theme well.
Having seen what's behind the curtain, I'd go for the mystery element of the first!!
Great idea for the theme, quite different from the majority.
Very clever for entrance. I like it that everything beyond the curtain is out of focus to keep you wondering what's there

Thank you all, I certainly prefer the 1st one myself.

Entrance erm lol I have honestly never noticed it before just googled it and must have walked past it hundreds of times. :thinking::banghead:
Very nice capture :D

Nicely done Michael. I actually thought for a mo, that that one was for entrance :)

I still see them now, with all the little nippers pumping their 1p and 2p into the slots. Reminds me so much of my holidays down on the South East coast

The contrast makes it look like a dark, foreboding place and this in turn contrasts to it being a place of amusement!! Or is it?
Very Lynchian!! :clap::clap::clap:

Really do like the PP in B&W on this image Michael, nicely done all round and think you just got away without the whites blowing.
Entrance erm lol I have honestly never noticed it before just googled it and must have walked past it hundreds of times. :thinking::banghead:
Very nice capture :D
Very nice framing and terrific, punchy contrasts....love it!
As @Dave70D said, expertly processed for mono!
Smashing!:clap:
Lovely contrast between the whites and blacks, love it.
Nicely done Michael. I actually thought for a mo, that that one was for entrance :)

I still see them now, with all the little nippers pumping their 1p and 2p into the slots. Reminds me so much of my holidays down on the South East coast
The contrast makes it look like a dark, foreboding place and this in turn contrasts to it being a place of amusement!! Or is it?
Very Lynchian!! :clap::clap::clap:

Thank you everyone for the comments, appreciated as always.

Now onto food, really didn't know how to approach this one, I just couldn't think of what to do, and nothing has really gone to plan just lately. But a visit to Calke Abbey sorted that out.

A picture from one of the old gardeners out buildings door way. The whole place is like a time capsule and I enjoyed getting the pics from this particular part.

calke abbey by Michael Johnson, on Flickr

Probably best viewed larger on flickr.

Nicely done shot :D

Hi Michael,

Wet - Gotta love a Std4 tank (especially as I'm helping with the restoration of one). I agree the B&W is the stronger shot, B&W deals with the light conditions better in this instance (and suits steam locos). I also like the inclusion of the signal box in the distance.

Free - LMS Locos do look good in Red (shame it's not a Bulleid though ;) ). I can see why you went with the power station as the background, but I can't help thinking the second shot is stronger as there is nothing distracting in the foreground, and yes, more of a glint from the boiler cladding.

Entrance - Hmm, quite abstract. I'm not sure either shot shouts 'entrance' at me, but I like it nonetheless.

Young - Liking the contrast in this shot, of the lights vs the dark of the building. My OCD would push me to have centralised it fully though. (May have need you to have been a few steps to your left (if that were possible)).

Food - There is a lot to like in this image. The aged drawers, the brickwork (including blue industrial bricks by the looks of things), the clock, the general air. (y)

Very nicely done for food Michael. I love the colours of it and there is so much to look at throughout the image. Very nice capture

Back