9th visit to the 52's! COMPLETED!!

Sorry for the late reply everyone, thank you so much for taking a look and commenting, it's appreciated as always.

Beautiful image Michael!
Very nicely processed - I do like the subtle vignette, gives it a really nice 'vintage' quality.
A feast for the eyes!:clap:
Nicely done shot :D
Hi Michael,

Wet - Gotta love a Std4 tank (especially as I'm helping with the restoration of one). I agree the B&W is the stronger shot, B&W deals with the light conditions better in this instance (and suits steam locos). I also like the inclusion of the signal box in the distance.

Free - LMS Locos do look good in Red (shame it's not a Bulleid though ;) ). I can see why you went with the power station as the background, but I can't help thinking the second shot is stronger as there is nothing distracting in the foreground, and yes, more of a glint from the boiler cladding.

Entrance - Hmm, quite abstract. I'm not sure either shot shouts 'entrance' at me, but I like it nonetheless.

Young - Liking the contrast in this shot, of the lights vs the dark of the building. My OCD would push me to have centralised it fully though. (May have need you to have been a few steps to your left (if that were possible)).

Food - There is a lot to like in this image. The aged drawers, the brickwork (including blue industrial bricks by the looks of things), the clock, the general air. (y)
FOOD - the colours are superb, the blue and the brown together, and the old-world feel make it a great shot for this theme.
Food is a nice shot and good PP to make it look old.
Very nicely done for food Michael. I love the colours of it and there is so much to look at throughout the image. Very nice capture

Now onto Smooth

Trying my 10 stop nd out here

IMG_8398 by Michael Johnson, on Flickr

And above, had a few different options for this one, but going for this shot of a kite surfer at Marazian in Conwall. The winds were epic, easily 35mph and these guys were getting lifted above the water with ease!

M34A8644 by Michael Johnson, on Flickr

Michael, smooth works well to me. The colour is interesting was that how it was or post process ?

Hi Chris, thanks for looking, the colour is from applying a split tone filter in zoner photo studio.

SMOOTH - love this shot. Very well done indeed.
ABOVE - again, great capture!

Thank you Bob.

I really can't make my mind up with the smooth image. Very nicely taken using the ND filter though.

But I do like above. Very clean and sharp with good action to it

I really can't make my mind up with the smooth image. Very nicely taken using the ND filter though.

But I do like above. Very clean and sharp with good action to it

Thanks for looking Ian

Two smashing images Michael!(y)
Smooth: very nicely processed, I like the sepia tones.
Above: superb, dynamic, crisp shot with some great action and terrific colours, great work.

Thank you Gareth.

Smooth - really like the use of the nd filter here

Above - nice dynamic image, well composed too.

Hot - yep, bang on theme and fantastically exposed etc

Light - wow, great light in that image, I really like it.

Wow Micheal!! Amazing catch up! Congrats!!:clap:

I'm sorry I missed a couple of comments from your earlier images, but I aim to rectify that now!

Hot: A beautifully simple image! Very nice exposure on those fantastic, blue flames.
Light: That's a great shot! The light you had there was great, and the darker tones in the sky are excellent....and SOOC too, very nice!
Crowd: Perfectly fitting of the theme....looks packed indeed! Terrific colours, and those big, old leviathans are always fascinating!
Decay: Who doesn't love rust textures? This is excellent, with some fantastic details and superb tones - looks like someone went a bit heavy with a wire brush once upon a time!
Free: Excellent image, with that beautiful, rich green. You've picked out some really nice brass details there too, nice work!
Whole: I love the lines here, draws the eye nicely to take in the whole train! Great composition.
Fragile: Fantastic macro image Michael! Is it a humble woodlouse? Great detail and sharpness right where it needs it, and even though you were pushing a high ISO, it tolerates it well
Squash: Terrific, colourful image of a wonderfully evocative brand! Does it still taste like fizzy Benylin I wonder?!:giggle:
Time: Another great, colourful image from the diesel gala! Really nice sharpness from front to back, though how it fits with the time theme, I'm not sure....still a cracking image though, and a great vantage from the footbridge!

Excellent work indeed Michael!(y)

Many thanks @GarethB for those comments, it really is appreciated, especially with me adding so much at one go. The woodlouse I believe is a Pill Woodlouse. With the train for time I was went with this shot with the inclusion of the token passing from the loco staff, also arriving for its booked time at the station.
Apologies for not getting round to comment for so long, it's been manic and health issues have gotten in the way.

Beautiful image. Superb colours and detail throughout. What's not to like

Amazing image Michael!:clap:
Those colours are fantastic - the orange and purple work so well together.
Terrific, sharp details too!
Gotta love the 7DmkII, still a strong performer!;)
Marvellous!

Thanks again Gareth, nice images like this make the money it's cost me worth it!

Beautiful image. Superb colours and detail throughout. What's not to like

Thank you Ian.

Full
Well shot. I've hardly seen any butterflies they summer, let alone a painted lady.

Thanks Dominic, early on when we had that early hot spell I had quite a few over a couple of days, around 15 or so, since then its been very slow, even speckled wood numbers are low,.

Full is a cracking image and well taken too.
Thanks Dave, much appreciated.

big catch up Michael :wideyed: like the rusty train, the woodlouse is very good and the flower pic works well for dirty

Hi Michael,

Really enjoying browsing through your images since I last visited. I love Above. Great capture and really sharp too. Decay, your free week and the image for fragile stand out with good compositions, great colour and nice and sharp.

He looks like he’s had a rough life Michael, poor thing

Thanks for looking Allan.

Hi Michael,

Really enjoying browsing through your images since I last visited. I love Above. Great capture and really sharp too. Decay, your free week and the image for fragile stand out with good compositions, great colour and nice and sharp.

Thanks for looking through Lee, much appreciated.

Bit of a comments catch up from me this week!

Dirty: Both images are top notch!
Both really nice macros and the flower is a terrific use of the colour pop technique.
I prefer the flower, it's so punchy and the colour is great.
Wide: I loved those old Levi adverts with Flat Eric! Thanks for reminding me how funny they were!
Very nice portrait too....nice catch light and goes well against the black bg.

Bit of a comments catch up from me this week!

Dirty: Both images are top notch!
Both really nice macros and the flower is a terrific use of the colour pop technique.
I prefer the flower, it's so punchy and the colour is great.
Wide: I loved those old Levi adverts with Flat Eric! Thanks for reminding me how funny they were!
Very nice portrait too....nice catch light and goes well against the black bg.

Thanks Gareth, Flat Eric was brilliant in those levi ads! He needs a come back...

I spent a few hours sat on there earlier this year. Those express trains don't hang about! Nice light and shadows :)

Hi Micael,

Closed - Isn't that the normal state of affairs for Northern Rail ? ;)
straight on brickwork shots like that can be a mare for distortion, that is very nicely controlled.
Wide - haha, you had me for a second with this when I was updating the spreadsheet. As you're using a black background to give Eric separation, I might have tried for more DoF perhaps? thoughts?
Dirty - #2 for me. Good bit of pp there with the 'colour pop'.
Drink - For me that works due to the incongruity of the can vs the postcard scene. nice one :)
Time - Liking the Shed, Brush4 (presumably a brake translator) and the token exchange. Not really feeling time as the theme though.
Squash - Does what it says on the tin, and liking the nice vibrant colours.
Whole - More shedage :) nice vibrant blue on the loco contrasting with the pale blue of the sky.
Free Week - Not really feeling the love for this. It's not really showing what that loco is all about due to the shortening effect of the shot.
Decay - Poor Mk1. That really is looking tatty. Lines really ought to care for those better than many do, they'll miss them when they are gone...
Crowd - Interesting angle of the shot, gives the impression you were lineside (I'm guessing not though).
Light - Very nice. Caught the light against the brooding storm clouds very well there :)
Hot - Deliberate not to go symmetrical? I like the slight hint of lilac on the rh flame (potassium?)
Above - That does look like fun... well caught against the waves. Crisp.

I spent a few hours sat on there earlier this year. Those express trains don't hang about! Nice light and shadows :)

Thanks Dave, never been there before, was in the area and got 86259 through.

Hi Micael,

Closed - Isn't that the normal state of affairs for Northern Rail ? ;)
straight on brickwork shots like that can be a mare for distortion, that is very nicely controlled.
Wide - haha, you had me for a second with this when I was updating the spreadsheet. As you're using a black background to give Eric separation, I might have tried for more DoF perhaps? thoughts?
Dirty - #2 for me. Good bit of pp there with the 'colour pop'.
Drink - For me that works due to the incongruity of the can vs the postcard scene. nice one :)
Time - Liking the Shed, Brush4 (presumably a brake translator) and the token exchange. Not really feeling time as the theme though.
Squash - Does what it says on the tin, and liking the nice vibrant colours.
Whole - More shedage :) nice vibrant blue on the loco contrasting with the pale blue of the sky.
Free Week - Not really feeling the love for this. It's not really showing what that loco is all about due to the shortening effect of the shot.
Decay - Poor Mk1. That really is looking tatty. Lines really ought to care for those better than many do, they'll miss them when they are gone...
Crowd - Interesting angle of the shot, gives the impression you were lineside (I'm guessing not though).
Light - Very nice. Caught the light against the brooding storm clouds very well there :)
Hot - Deliberate not to go symmetrical? I like the slight hint of lilac on the rh flame (potassium?)
Above - That does look like fun... well caught against the waves. Crisp.

Hi Tim, many thanks for the all of your comments there, much appreciated as always. For crowd I was between the lines, there is a path which goes through the site over the tracks in the main yard allowing this look through.

Thanks Dave, never been there before, was in the area and got 86259 through.

I waited for 86259 last week at my local station, Wigan NW, but it got held for over an hour just outside Preston and I had to go. In fact everything stopped in both directions. I was stood talking to a Super Voyager driver and he had no idea what was going on either.

Back