9th visit to the 52's! COMPLETED!!

Waiting - I like both images and they both convey the theme very well, Michael. It's hard to pick a favourite but I'd say #2 because your body language looks impatient and poised, and clearly conveys 'waiting'.
Rough - again, two images that suit B&W and catch the eye, and it's #2 for me again because of the details and great use of DOF. Nice work :)

Not sure which one, the first has an alien landscape feel to it which I quite like number two gives the eye something to focus on, either one for me.

Both images fit the theme, however my preference is the second image. The DoF works well and draws you directly to the subject.

I like the first rough image. Agree, it does look a bit Martian/Mars like. Just waiting for Neil Armstrong to pop in and give us a wave

I like the shot but I think you could have cropped it a bit more at the bottom to give you a third water, two thirds rocks. You would have needed to move the big rock at the bottom right forward a bit so it was still in the picture!

Waiting both work well I do feel like 2 gives more feeling and emotion but I prefer 1 for the theme.

Rough 1 is the choice for me the stones on gravel works very well and I unfortunately am just not a fan of the 2nd

The first does look like its a really harsh environment and fits the bill perfectly. The second is a great picture, when next to the other doesn't look rough at all. The tint is great, maybe crop in a little?

Looks very Martian, like it. Good choice to go B&W too.
Two very good images for rough, liking them both but the second just edges it for me and like the editing too.
Two neat shots for this week. Well done on both!!
Both nice shots but the second has it for me, like the composition
Both shots are very good but I too think the second one has the edge. The composition and mono conversion have really worked well.
Both are great images, especially in mono.
I like the first one....as Jim said, it looks other-worldly, almost martian like!!
Super contrasts and very nice light/shadows.
Brill!(y)
Waiting - I like both images and they both convey the theme very well, Michael. It's hard to pick a favourite but I'd say #2 because your body language looks impatient and poised, and clearly conveys 'waiting'.
Rough - again, two images that suit B&W and catch the eye, and it's #2 for me again because of the details and great use of DOF. Nice work :)
Not sure which one, the first has an alien landscape feel to it which I quite like number two gives the eye something to focus on, either one for me.
Both images fit the theme, however my preference is the second image. The DoF works well and draws you directly to the subject.
Number one for me. My first thought was that it looked like the surface of the moon!
I like the first rough image. Agree, it does look a bit Martian/Mars like. Just waiting for Neil Armstrong to pop in and give us a wave
I like both images, both have lots of detail and both suit mono!
I like the shot but I think you could have cropped it a bit more at the bottom to give you a third water, two thirds rocks. You would have needed to move the big rock at the bottom right forward a bit so it was still in the picture!
Rough
Is there life on Mars? It has such a Martian look about it.
Waiting both work well I do feel like 2 gives more feeling and emotion but I prefer 1 for the theme.

Rough 1 is the choice for me the stones on gravel works very well and I unfortunately am just not a fan of the 2nd
The first does look like its a really harsh environment and fits the bill perfectly. The second is a great picture, when next to the other doesn't look rough at all. The tint is great, maybe crop in a little?
I think #2 just edges it for me, I like the aged feel to the colour in the shot.
I like the texture in the rough ground and the POV tells the story well. I prefer the processing on the second image though. great interpretation of the theme

A big thank you everyone for the comments on my submissions for rough, very much appreciated and thoughts noted.

Lovely sculpture and the image does it huge justice, as Dave said, great PP too - love it.

Nicely done object. Looks like he's trying to object too :D

Very nice shot for object Michael, love the PP in this great image.
Lovely sculpture and the image does it huge justice, as Dave said, great PP too - love it.
Nicely done object. Looks like he's trying to object too :D
Well that is a horrible thing isn't it. Well captured though with interesting pp.
A compelling and very interesting image Michael!
Very nicely composed and processed, and haunting to look at!
Great work!(y)
A very curious object. I like the edit, interesting colour.

Thanks all, it was a little challenging to photograph, the light was crazy bright with shadows everywhere, pleased you all like it and it certainly makes it worth while getting the picture.

Nicely done Michael. Great subject ad has some amazing detail. Love the mono conversion and processing

Object, marvellous as you managed to dodge the tourists ! I have taken a few shots around Stratford on Avon of nothing to be followed by a few tourists trying to see what it was I was taking photos of ! Bit of fun. It’s a fabulous place !

Nicely done Michael. Great subject ad has some amazing detail. Love the mono conversion and processing

Thank you Ian.

Well taken shot for object. Especially baring in mind the bright conditions you mentioned. Nice detail and I like the PP treatment.

Thank you Lee.

Object, marvellous as you managed to dodge the tourists ! I have taken a few shots around Stratford on Avon of nothing to be followed by a few tourists trying to see what it was I was taking photos of ! Bit of fun. It’s a fabulous place !

Thanks Chris, there weren't too many people around the statue that day. Have been 2 or 3 times, this was probably the 1st time I have concentrated a bit more on the subject, mostly down to getting the shot for the theme I would say. Each time we have been there its been to see a steam train so time around the town hasn't been that much.

Now on to this weeks theme of wet.

Here we have 80080 steam locomotive on its home turf at Midland Railway Centre, Butterly. Having been returned to service it will be going to the East Lancashire Railway for a prolonged period. I got rather wet too!

Going for the black and white version here, challenging light conditions once again.

IMG_7887 by Michael Johnson, on Flickr

IMG_7883 by Michael Johnson, on Flickr

Last edited:
Oh yes - nice Standard 4 - hoping she's back on the ELR this weekend for the Steam Gala :D

Fantastic images Michael!
I'm with Carl....I can't decide which I prefer....both are terrific!
The wetness of the platform perhaps plays better in the B&W image....such great contrasts.
They're both such a joy to look at....excellent work indeed!(y)

Back