9th visit to the 52's! COMPLETED!!

I hope you get the computer issue sorted soon, Michael, but in the meantime you've done really well with your phone! Clean is an interesting effect with the dark circle of shadow and the contrasting bright ring at the top of the bottle, and Open is a clever take on the theme; the motion blur of the hand and keys is really effective to convey the action.

Hi Michael,

New - Great photo. Lovely mono conversion that really works with the subject. Cracking start (y)
Clean - Nice image that perfectly fits. The only thing I would mention is the top of the bottle but it does put it in the spotlight as it were.
Open - Excellent shot. Perfect shutter speed. Very nice :)

Clean - right on theme, the shadow does look to me like the bottle is about to drop down a hole, I assumed it was deliberate. bl
Open - plenty of motion blur on the twisting keys, clever idea

I hope you get the computer issue sorted soon, Michael, but in the meantime you've done really well with your phone! Clean is an interesting effect with the dark circle of shadow and the contrasting bright ring at the top of the bottle, and Open is a clever take on the theme; the motion blur of the hand and keys is really effective to convey the action.
Hi Michael,

New - Great photo. Lovely mono conversion that really works with the subject. Cracking start (y)
Clean - Nice image that perfectly fits. The only thing I would mention is the top of the bottle but it does put it in the spotlight as it were.
Open - Excellent shot. Perfect shutter speed. Very nice :)
Love the contrast in all three of these images. Great use of mono to really tell the story. Open is a clever shot and I really like it.
Clean - right on theme, the shadow does look to me like the bottle is about to drop down a hole, I assumed it was deliberate. bl
Open - plenty of motion blur on the twisting keys, clever idea

Thank you everyone for looking in and commenting! I finally received the charger so back up and running, thank goodness!

Now for my distant and cold entries.

I was hoping for snow around our house area, but being in a valley I guess we were to low to get it, just hard frosts. An opportunity arose for a late afternoon visit up to Beeley Moor (near chatsworth). As we got to the top fog was rolling in pretty quickly and was around -5, the visit was brief but did allow me to get a few pictures.

Initially I thought I had failed in getting something for distant, but looking again I am going to go with this shot looking down the the road into the distance.

IMG_3980 by Michael Johnson, on Flickr

Cold, not long after this you couldn't see the trees.

IMG_3999 by Michael Johnson, on Flickr

Glad you're finally up and running again with your laptop; it must have been very frustrating.

I like both of these - they convey cold and they work well in monochrome. The first is very stark and I like the way you can't see what lies ahead of the point where the road disappears so it has a mysterious or even slightly dangerous atmosphere. The second is my favourite though, as I love the details and spiky textures in the foreground and the way they contrast with the softer misty trees behind them.

Hi Michael,

Distant and cold work very well in Mono. I like that distant is very contrasty with a lot of black. Cold fits the theme very well and I like the composition.
How do you find the M50? Until recently I was editing on my phone, handy specially with wifi capable mirrorless cameras! Great shots.

Love the contrast between the B&W in the first image. The blueness make the second one feel cold.

Both cracking shots but my favourite has to be the second, I like the fog in the back ground and the crispness in the foreground.

Hi Michael.
For me, distant needs something at the far end of the road, even a tree. It's s tad too desolate for me.
Cold works really nicely though, with all the fine detail you've captured.

You see to have started a very contrasty B+W phase it works on some of your other shots but not sure it works on this one, I like the desolation but feel the sky needs to be cropped a little.
Love the blues in cold and the mist adds to it I really like that one

Glad you're finally up and running again with your laptop; it must have been very frustrating.

I like both of these - they convey cold and they work well in monochrome. The first is very stark and I like the way you can't see what lies ahead of the point where the road disappears so it has a mysterious or even slightly dangerous atmosphere. The second is my favourite though, as I love the details and spiky textures in the foreground and the way they contrast with the softer misty trees behind them.

Thanks for the comments Andrea, I really liked the 2nd one myself, it took a bit of editing but worth the effort I thought.

I agree with @Manxmaid totally, very good shots for both themes. Are the trees in the second shot the same ones as in the first, as you got alongside them?

HI Bob, yes, they are the same trees, thanks for looking and commenting.

Two very good images Michael like both of them, distant is a very good shot and it goes very well in mono and looks like a moody image so well done.
Cold is another shot that looks good in mono too, and it is also my favourite image out of the two a great shot and just love it.

Hi Dave, thank you, pleased you like them.

Hi Michael,

Distant and cold work very well in Mono. I like that distant is very contrasty with a lot of black. Cold fits the theme very well and I like the composition.
How do you find the M50? Until recently I was editing on my phone, handy specially with wifi capable mirrorless cameras! Great shots.

Hi Dom, I have got to like the M50 quite a bit, I hardly take my 7d out unless I'm going to use the 150-600, the m50 works great with the 18-135. I wish battery life was better and I really would prefer a joystick for focus selection and a bigger buffer would be great, but none of the shortcomings stop me from using it, thanks for looking in and commenting.

Love the contrast between the B&W in the first image. The blueness make the second one feel cold.

Hi Ian, thank you for the comments.

Both cracking shots but my favourite has to be the second, I like the fog in the back ground and the crispness in the foreground.

Hi Chris, I really liked the 2nd one too, thanks for looking and commenting.

Hi Michael.
For me, distant needs something at the far end of the road, even a tree. It's s tad too desolate for me.
Cold works really nicely though, with all the fine detail you've captured.

Hi Tim, something at the end of the road would certainly work, I was hoping for another car, perhaps I should have asked my brother to drive down the end!

You see to have started a very contrasty B+W phase it works on some of your other shots but not sure it works on this one, I like the desolation but feel the sky needs to be cropped a little.
Love the blues in cold and the mist adds to it I really like that one

Hi Allan, a crop would work with the sky in the 1st, I normally do crops while editing, but didn't on this occasion. I was pleased after editing the 2nd one. Thank you for looking in and the comments.

2 outstanding images.
Distant: Nice simple image that leads you into the distance and has you wondering where the road goes and how much mist will there be. Would also have fitted this weeks theme.
Cold: Quite an ethereal looking image. Love the processing. Really does look very cold and makes me want to huddle up by the fire.

I really like both of these Michael. With the distant one, the distant mist/fog/sky gives it a feeling of travelling into the unknown.

The cold one is a great capture of the stunning winter countryside

Cold is very nice - needs looking at bigger on Flickr to fully appreciate it.

Two smashing images Michael!(y)

Distant is very nice....good use of perspective/vanishing point on the road....it appears clear until that wall of fog in the distance. Nicely done and works well as a mono.
Cold is terrific! The mood is great, and the cool colour is very effective. Super detail too.

2 outstanding images.
Distant: Nice simple image that leads you into the distance and has you wondering where the road goes and how much mist will there be. Would also have fitted this weeks theme.
Cold: Quite an ethereal looking image. Love the processing. Really does look very cold and makes me want to huddle up by the fire.
I really like both of these Michael. With the distant one, the distant mist/fog/sky gives it a feeling of travelling into the unknown.

The cold one is a great capture of the stunning winter countryside
Cold is very nice - needs looking at bigger on Flickr to fully appreciate it.
Two smashing images Michael!(y)

Distant is very nice....good use of perspective/vanishing point on the road....it appears clear until that wall of fog in the distance. Nicely done and works well as a mono.
Cold is terrific! The mood is great, and the cool colour is very effective. Super detail too.
Thank you all, really pleased these have been received so well! I'm glad I managed to get out there.

Distant
I tried to do the same as you, but it didn't work out very well (I had some pretty adverse weather conditions). Your shot does work well, especially in black and white.

Cold
Another good shot, it shows COLD very well.

Hi Michael
Two very strong images for Distant and Cold. I can't add much that hasn't been said already. Two great photos that are perfect fits for the theme (y)

I like the black & white processing of the Distance shot.

Cold is nice too and works really well for the theme.
I agree with the othere comments Michael, they both are spot on for the theme, the distant shot has a very eerie look to it ....its like the road to nowhere!
Distant
I tried to do the same as you, but it didn't work out very well (I had some pretty adverse weather conditions). Your shot does work well, especially in black and white.

Cold
Another good shot, it shows COLD very well.
Hi Michael
Two very strong images for Distant and Cold. I can't add much that hasn't been said already. Two great photos that are perfect fits for the theme (y)

Thank you all for the comments, much appreciated as always!

Now onto waiting, I have a couple here I can't quite decide on. And both of them continuing my run of black and white! I like them both.

Firstly, the waiting room at Garsdale on the Settle To Carlisle line from the outside, this was yesterday, so a very cold, windy and dull day for the most part. Balancing exposure was really tricky.

IMG_4160 by Michael Johnson, on Flickr

After this we drove on a bit more and arrived at Dent Station, this is the highest mainline station in the uk at 1150 ft above sea level, it was beginning to sleet when he got here. I hardly ever put myself in a photograph, but on this occasion I did. Camera on the next seat with 10 second self timer. Making sure I placed myself where I had focused!

IMG_4136 by Michael Johnson, on Flickr

Both are good shots and the b&w conversation is spot on, I prefer the 1st image, reminds me of Leigh Preston’s work.

Its definitely a style this very contrasty B+W I like them both although I think the processing works better on the second one I think it needs slightly more detail in the brickwork on the first but only slightly

Both are spot on for the theme, very nice work Michael.
The first is superb, great use of perspective, and wonderful deep DoF to get everything in focus too.
Love the leading lines drawing the eye to the hills in the background.
The second is great also, great processing and nice grain that adds some character to the image.
I vote for the first image - it really is jolly good!(y)

I'll go against the grain and say that I prefer the second image. You're sat in a small room on the edge of the seat and it really gives the feel that you're waiting. I like the first image too, but I think it would be stronger if the contrast between the wall and the sign was pulled back a bit.

The second for me works the best. Really good subject matter and a gritty kind of processing to it. Nice

I think the first is a little too dark in the top right for me. Maybe you could bring that up a bit

Bang on theme

Both are bang on theme Michael, love the sign on the 1st image and how the eye is drawn along the platform. The 2nd image for me though, as you are waiting and love the old grainy look to it, two great shots.

Thank you Dave

Both are good shots and the b&w conversation is spot on, I prefer the 1st image, reminds me of Leigh Preston’s work.

Thank you Ian, just had a google and looked at her website, a very nice set of pictures she has there.

Its definitely a style this very contrasty B+W I like them both although I think the processing works better on the second one I think it needs slightly more detail in the brickwork on the first but only slightly

Hi Allan, thank you for your comments. I tried to bring out a bit more detail in the brickwork, it either looked too artificial or it just took away from the contrasty style, couldn't quite get it there.

Both are spot on for the theme, very nice work Michael.
The first is superb, great use of perspective, and wonderful deep DoF to get everything in focus too.
Love the leading lines drawing the eye to the hills in the background.
The second is great also, great processing and nice grain that adds some character to the image.
I vote for the first image - it really is jolly good!(y)

Hi Gareth, thank you for looking and your comments, pleased you like them.

I'll go against the grain and say that I prefer the second image. You're sat in a small room on the edge of the seat and it really gives the feel that you're waiting. I like the first image too, but I think it would be stronger if the contrast between the wall and the sign was pulled back a bit.
The second for me works the best. Really good subject matter and a gritty kind of processing to it. Nice

I think the first is a little too dark in the top right for me. Maybe you could bring that up a bit

Bang on theme

Hi Carl, thanks for looking and commenting, couldn't quite get the style right with more detail in the bricks.

The 2nd for me. Great shot for the theme!

Thank you Bob!

Both are very good images. Love the moodiness of the first image, but the second one has the edge for me. You body composure makes you look as though you are waiting nervously and makes the viewer wonder what you are waiting for.

Waiting
I like the idea of first one, but find the darks a little too dark.
The second is really quite good.

First one for me, the sign and the way your drawn to the distance, really suits mono
Both are very good images. Love the moodiness of the first image, but the second one has the edge for me. You body composure makes you look as though you are waiting nervously and makes the viewer wonder what you are waiting for.
Waiting
I like the idea of first one, but find the darks a little too dark.
The second is really quite good.
#2 for me, due to a couple of things. 1. The human aspect. 2. I find #1 a bit too dark.

Thank you every one!

Now on to rough

A wander around Staunton Harold yesterday in the lovely afternoon sunshine. The reservoir isn't totally full, about 75% I believe. So I had a look to see what I could get of the shoreline.

IMG_4236 by Michael Johnson, on Flickr

And an alternative which I also liked.

Rough edges

M34A7444 by Michael Johnson, on Flickr

Looks very Martian, like it. Good choice to go B&W too.

Back