A Big black spider....well more purple

Edit My Images
Yes
Can someone ID this one for me please...

Had a trawl through a few websites on british spiders...
so I probably didnt look hard enough...

black_purple-spider.jpg

It had a very glossy skin...(exoskeleton)
ta

Dave.

Don't know what it is, but if that was in my house I would be moving out.

Chris :)

I hope someone can answer this.
I have loads of these in my garden (and probably in my house)
I wondered if the were Mock Widows?
I flatten them on sight just in case.

Its a false widow, or Cellar spier.

Black, or purplish brown, with a vague pattern of pale markings (a semi-circle and three spots) on the rotund abdomen (female, photo). The body never shows any red. The male is smaller, slimmer and unlikely to bite.

First seen in the UK in 1846

Nice find !!

That's just great, now I have to buy tons of bug spray.

DavePotter.

I just noticed you are on the South coast too, I'm guessing they prefer the milder climate around these parts.

And from the "Never in Error" wikipedia..................

The False black widow spiders (also known as false katipo, false button spider, cupboard spider, and in Australia, brown house spider) are spiders of the genus Steatoda. They resemble widow spiders in size and physical form, which is not surprising since they are members of the same Family. While the bite of Steatoda spiders are nowhere near as serious as that of true widow spiders, several of these spiders do have medically significant bites. The bite of Steatoda grossa, commonly known as the cupboard spider, is known to cause symptoms which have been described as a very minor widow bite; the medical community now refers to the symptoms of Steatoda bites as steatodism. Other spiders in this genus known to be problem biters include two chiefly European varieties, S. paykulliana and S.

thank you....

Wish it felt milder......

my fist 2 days of work.....(that are for me) since October.

And the weather turn cold and dull..... its been really nice up until yesterday....grr...

This sucker was attached to my fishing holdall when i carried it back out to the shed..... and it fell off on to the decking in the back garden.....

I suppose at least I had something to photograph... :)

Dave.

ps no I didnt squash it....

Are they fast moving? Spiders are awesome machines. I consider them machines, because they are AWESOME!

Nice find and I bet it would give you a nip ;) Nice shot too BTW.

hi there i found a spider in work today, i nearly put my hand on it and screamed like a girl haha, it looks very similar to the picture above (i found this website looking to identify it) but its legs are darker and its ass is a little bit reddier brown colour and its got like a red letter V on its back, ive never seen a spider like this before n it looked poisonous to me. ill take a foto tomoro it should still be there as i left it be, there was also a smaller thinner dark spider with it too, maybe the male? i try n get a foto up soon thanks for now

Back