A bit of a result.

Cobra

Gregory House
Admin
Name
The real Chris
Edit My Images
No
Every year, including this one, I always get a large crop of frogs spawn.
Every year I get late hard frosts and a prolonged cold spell once its laid,
turning it to mush, despite the fact I cover it over once the temps are forecast down to 32 / 33 oF
This year was no different.

Doing a little pond maintenance earlier today I noticed a small shoal of tadpoles in the shallows.
It looks like the may have gone for a second clutch this year, ( albeit very small and it went un noticed) as a couple of frogs were still calling up until quite recently.

I'd say that was a bit of a result (y)

How long before they're eating size?

More seriously, do you do any covering overnight to protect the spawn from those pesky late frosts? A bit of horticultural fleece loosely attached to a batten frame should be enough South of Watford (Gap!).

More seriously, do you do any covering overnight to protect the spawn from those pesky late frosts? A bit of horticultural fleece loosely attached to a batten frame should be enough South of Watford (Gap!).
despite the fact I cover it over once the temps are forecast down to 32 / 33 oF
This year was no different.

D'oh!

My only defence is that I don't have my reading glasses on (but that falls down due to the fact that I only need them for computer work when I have my contact lenses in - which I don't today!)

Do you run a pump? Keeping the water moving might stop the freezing.

Do you run a pump? Keeping the water moving might stop the freezing.
24/7 / 365 yes it "normally" stops the water freezing, but it doesn't stop the air frosts, hence covering up.
But it still gets too cold too long to allow them to hatch.

• Sad
Reactions: Nod
24/7 / 365 yes it "normally" stops the water freezing, but it doesn't stop the air frosts, hence covering up.
But it still gets too cold too long to allow them to hatch.

I wonder if there's a pump with a low powered heater element to keep the critters just warm enough.

I wonder if there's a pump with a low powered heater element to keep the critters just warm enough.
It would need to be pretty efficient, but as before its the air frosts that kill it..

The easiest solution is to bring them in doors and raise them there, as I did a couple of years ago,
And release them when they have legs.
I had 2 dead out of god knows how many 100's
I just couldn't be arsed this year though ...

Reactions: Nod
Most end up feeding the magpies anyway!

Most end up feeding the magpies anyway!
The magpies are no longer a problem here ;)
The woodies on the other hand are a real PITA at the moment ..

Back