A bit of advice needed, u15s football.

Name
Paul
Edit My Images
Yes
I've been asked to get some action shots of my sons u15 football team tomorrow, to be used at the club presentation day.
Never shot football before (apart from five a side for Scouts) so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

We're would be the best place to stand, move along the side line or behind the goal line?

I'll probably use a 70-200 f/2.8 and could add a 1.4 converter too.

I'm assuming high shutter speed, but how high? Aperture below f5 to try to single out the action from the background and set the iso to auto?

The games are usually quite frantic, they don't get a lot of time on the ball before being closed down :)

Cheers
Paul

Top tip I've been given on here before is not to stand but get low down. Also, I wouldn't move around chasing the game. Pick a spot and stick to it.

OK. Not easy if you haven't done too much before. Depends where its played, but look where the sun is (if its out with its hat on) and also what the background is like. Try to avoid messy cluttered backgrounds if you can - cars parked in view, parents and baby buggies etc. So pick what you think might give you the clearest background and may be have the sun behind you. Behind the goal line is usually good, you won't have linesmen running up and down or other people in your way. I shoot a lot with a 70-200 and you need to wait until the action comes to you - anything from the halfway line and nearer. With a 1.4 converter you will need to remember that as they come towards you they will be too big in the frame at a certain point. My advice would be manual settings - at least 1/1000th, somewhere between f/2.8 and f/4 and iso as low as suitable to give a good exposure. Try not to overexpose. AIServo (on Canon) and centre spot focus. Don't try to chase the game, and take a camping stool or similar to sit down on. Do not stand and shoot. You can move position at points in the game - may be to the side line by the 18yard box if you can might be an option. You can change ends at half time or stay in the same place. If you want more shots of your son, then know what position he plays in and try to be in that area of the pitch. No point being by the goal if he plays at the other end in defence. Take sufficient memory cards and charged batteries. Have fun.
Link to an U15 game (it rained, or rather bucketed down and I didn't stay for the whole thing!) http://goo.gl/COKcyn

Last edited:
My advise would be to try and anticipate the action and take a small burst of shots. Get low and aim for a shutter speed at least fast enough to avoid motion blur. I have used a 70-200mm 2.8 with a 1.4 TC and a Canon 1D MKIV in good light, only problem is when the action is very close to you.
If you are trying to get shots of as many players as possible you may find sitting on the half way line best. That way you may just about cover both goals, depending on camera (full frame or crop).
If not then behind the goal line somewhere between the 18 yard box and corner flag would be my choice.
Enjoy the experience and don't put yourself under pressure.

Thanks for the advice, stayed mainly behind the goal line and seem to have got some decent shots.

No, not data protection. The club will be using them for their presentation evening so I won't be putting them on Flickr etc

Back