A Bit Of ICM Fun

Name
Ian
Edit My Images
No
So there's been a roll of Adox CMS20 II (ISO 25) film staring at me all summer. So once the light pretty much dissappeared, that was when I decided to use this ultra sharp, ultra low grain film for ICM. And I thoroughly enjoyed myself.

I also ordered another can of Polypan F, which at £30, got me just over 13 rolls of 24-26 exposure film. That's £2.30 a roll. So I made a decision (after freezing some) to use up another roll continuing my experiment.

Burning Footsteps
by Ian, on Flickr

Tall Trees Grow
by Ian, on Flickr

Taking A Break
by Ian, on Flickr

That last one I posted on the ICM thread.

I know these aren't everyone's cup of tea, but this is as close to abstract painting as I'll ever get. I've printed these out big (A3) on lovely Museo Max paper which is a matt cotton rag that feels lovely. It's given the images all a really lovely watercolour look and with the 2pt plack border, they look bob on. Almost all are half or one second exposures.

I'm really enjoying this... It's nice to print out some work big too. I don't generally print to A3 or larger unless I really like the photos and I think these are the first I've done all year.

I really like the second, I bet it looks great at A3. I also like the second of the final pair, for what ever reason what I assume are dogs actually remind me of bears and the way they are waling into the shot really draws me in.

Thanks Chris. Much appreciated.

These are all really nice Ian. I really like the Tall Trees Shot. The first gives strong Crazy World of Arthur Brown vibes. :)

My secret Santa recipient has said they like experimental films, and CMS20 II is one of the things I’ve already bought for them. Your shots are very much the thing I had in mind that they might use it for.

Cheers Nige. Glad you like them.

These are awesome, great work Ian. What sort of movement did you use for these? I assume the top two are vertical pans, but I'm not so sure about the others. I think the second one is my favourite, would look fantastic on the wall.

These are awesome, great work Ian. What sort of movement did you use for these? I assume the top two are vertical pans, but I'm not so sure about the others. I think the second one is my favourite, would look fantastic on the wall.

Thanks Carl. The tree is a vertical pan. The other three are "walking zoom" pans :) The first pointed at my feet, the others pointed in the direction I was going. It's a half-hearted project to document the walk I go on every day and the different ways I can look at the same thing. They're not very zoomy because they're on prime lenses, but I quite like that they're not your traditional "super-zoom-ICM"

I've got the three lighter images on the wall now and they look great together.

The first one for me Ian, probably due to the higher contrast. The lighter segment at the bottom of the frame definitely makes a difference. (y)

Thanks Peter.

The last two for me, they incorporate two things I love ( Dogs and bicycles) At least it looks like a bicycle and rider to me ! They remind me of an artists impression of what he/she saw rather than an exact photographic replica. I have been playing with intentional camera movement lately with varying results !

Last edited:
The last two for me, they incorporate two things I love ( Dogs and bicycles) At least it looks like a bicycle and rider to me ! They remind me of an artists impression of what he/she saw rather than an exact photographic replica. I have been playing with intentional camera movement lately with varying results !

Spot on. Left is 2 kids on bikes, right is a walker and his dogs. And the 'artist replica' is very much what I was looking for. I bought an Alexander MIllar print many years ago and these images give me the same feelings.

ICM is a bit of an art I think. Do you go half a second, one second, or longer? What sort of motion do you make with the camera? If you're after a specific result it can be quite frustrating.

Thanks Wayne.

Shows how infrequently I come on here (my bad!) that I've completely missed this thread. Sorry Ian. I really like them all; I've had little success with black and white ICM, but these have worked well.

I'm interested in that area of light at the bottom of the first one, and wondering where that came from?

It's interesting in the 3rd to be able to trace your movements, in the part top right. I must try more of those tiny movements!

The 4th, which really does appear to have at least one bear in it, is more enigmatic, but works fantastically well. (y)

Back