A Burst of Light, Dolomites, Italy

Name
Andrew
Edit My Images
Yes
Our final sunset of our hiking adventures in the Dolomites, I remember this scene rather well, a hazy day most of the day, lead to beautiful crepuscular rays as the sun started to go down.
I remember, we were in awe of the light, and were rapidly firing off the shots, leaving little or no time to think too much about the composition.
What a wonderful end to a most memorable trip.
Thanks for Looking Andy

a burst of light.jpg

Hi Andy, it is my least favourite of the trip. I make no secret of not being a fan of the sun in the frame and I tend to dislike strong highlights/flaring etc you get with that type of shot. Had the sun been behind you I think the overall shot would have been pleasing. If its any consolation I've yet to see an image where crepuscular rays are the main feature that I actually like. Its certainly a very striking image and it must have been wonderful to have been there. In its plus side the crop is excellent and it has a real 3 dimensional feel but this type of lighting just doesn't work for me. I much prefer your other images from the trip.

Cheers Steve, in someways I would agree with you, how do I say, I think being there and witnessing the light has a far more lasting memory than the actual photograph can convey if that makes any sense i.e i think it looks better in real life than in a photo. Very tough to capture and process as it was shooting straight into the sun, which I try and avoid as I do prefer side lighting myself. However, I thought when there is that type of light and rays bursting through, it was worth the capture nevertheless for memory's sake. Personally my favourite is the one from Sassalungo, from Val Gardena, the side light on the greens was just somewhat lush!

Reactions: ST4
Back