A Challenge

Marc

TPer Emeritus
Edit My Images
Yes
Not so much the puzzle itself but for the tread not to break out into an argument! :D

maths.jpg

OK, I'm up for it. The answer is 201. I'll explain why.

1+4=5, no problem with that.

2+5=7, so if the answer is written as 12 then that must be expressed in base 5.

3+6=9, so if the answer is written as 21 then that must be expressed in base 4.

At this point it seems reasonable to infer that the first sum has its answer expressed in base 6 and the last sum should have its answer expressed in base 3.

Hence 8+11=19, and in base 3 that's 201. So the answer is 8+11=201.

Last edited:

40, 96 or 201.

Reasons? I used my bonce and Googled to find out rather than waste time and paper! :p

40, 96 or 201.

Reasons? I used my bonce and Googled to find out rather than waste time and paper! :p
96 because each equation is added to the answer of the previous equation. Enough equations are provided to be able to see the pattern then a few are missed out before the final equation. Those who gave an answer of 40, didn't include the missing equations. No idea of 201 and talk of bases though.

96 here too.
Spoiler checked but there are no multiplication signs either visable or inferred
nor are there any "()"

Its just the basic sum, + the answer of the previous sum
=40

Spoiler checked but there are no multiplication signs either visable or inferred
nor are there any "()"

But there are no addition signs between the answer of the previous sums either :p

Although the stated sum + the answer of the previous sum will give you 96 too if you complete the full sequence :

1+4 = 5
2+5 = 12
3+6 = 21
4+7 = 32
5+8 = 45
6+9 = 60
7+10 = 77

8 + 11 =96

But there are no addition signs between the answer of the previous sums either :p
Ah but that's the bit that you need to work out ;)

Well i'm going for 40 with normal arithmetic, looks like a sum a primary teacher would give their class..

Let's be honest, no-one likes a smart alec, the bare bones of the sum are there and the answer is 40...
My real name is Alec...lol

Yes, but if you do it that way there are some steps missing from the sequence.
Nope can't see it!?

1+4 =5 thats a given
2+5 =7 then add the previous answer (5) to give 12
3+6 =9 then add the previous answer (12) to give 21
8+11 =19 then add the previous answer ( 21) to give 40.

Its straight forward enough no need to look for something that isn't there, or indeed inferred :)

Its straight forward enough no need to look for something that isn't there...
... but you have looked for something that isn't there, namely the instruction to add the previous answer. It isn't there.

And that's what it's all about, there isn't one correct answer.

It can either be A+B+the previous answer
or
A+(AxB)
or
Stewart's "base" answer

The whole point is that there are several ways at looking at a problem and different solutions can be discovered.

Or, if you're closed minded, you take the 1st solution you come across and assume all others must be wrong. ;)

namely the instruction to add the previous answer. It isn't there.
but the pattern is plain to see, other people are adding "()" or "x" where there is no president for these.
or indeed adding extra figures into the calculation.

even if I think you're wrong :p
:p

Or, if you're closed minded, you take the 1st solution you come across and assume all others must be wrong. ;)
So there we have it, everyone that answered has a closed mind (y)

Well i'm going for 40 with normal arithmetic, looks like a sum a primary teacher would give their class..

40 years ago, perhaps.
Today's little mini-flakes are a tad more sheltered. Such a puzzle may traumatise them! ;)

It's not mathematics, it's a simple arithmetic query..If the first equation is such...then what are the next ...

That is the measure of IQ...such is the dearth of intelligence in higher education..

but the pattern is plain to see, other people are adding "()" or "x" where there is no president for these.
or indeed adding extra figures into the calculation.

:p

I'm sure the good Donald Trump will happily be the president for these.

As for the answers and setting precedents, the nature of this kind of question is that obvious rules are not necessarily required to be followed, and the purpose is to find a solution that gives a correct answer. I'm not sure this has so much to do with intelligence as simple pattern recognition.

So there we have it, everyone that answered has a closed mind (y)

Only those that gave one answer as the definitive and only solution. :p

AnswerS!

I'd seen the question and answers before, along with the assorted solutions and rationales - just couldn't remember them. I Googled for them since it seemed the intelligent thing to do! :p

Indeed!

Am I the only one that gets 42 ?
Someone has been watching Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy haven't they? :D

Back