A couple from Dartmoor. A classic and something different (for me)...

Name
Tom
Edit My Images
Yes
My partner and little one were away from Friday night until Saturday night so I managed TWO sessions on the Saturday: one at dawn, where I got the first shot and one at dusk where I got the second. I took loads of the ponies because there wasn't much in terms of landscapes where I was. Only one was a keeper though; the others just looked like snaps of ponies...

The Bowerman's shot was the best of 4. I would have liked a bit more separation from the background and also a more interesting sky, which is why I cropped it to a pano.

Dartmoor Pony Portrait by Tom Pinches, on Flickr

Bowerman's nose by Tom Pinches, on Flickr

Well done Tom, I particularly like the Bowerman shot. I do find Dartmoor difficult to photograph.

Last edited:
Dartmoor's not easy to photograph well. I've been trying most of my life and I'm still trying.............. The only decent images of the old hunter I have are from many years ago (35mm) silhouetted against good sunset, and more recently on a freezing cold misty day when a b/w conversion worked well. But if it's misty you don't get the sunset light and if you get good sunset light as you did you want a good sky.............
I do like the pony close up. It's the resigned look of 'oh god not another biped shoving a camera up my nose' that comes across as a dreamy quietness..........

Like Jan, I've spent years trying to get great shots of the moor. Got some from the rivers and streams but only a couple from the body of the moor!

Unusual for a pony to not be trying to get food off you - too many people feed them (let's face it, one is too many!) so they are often fairly aggressive in their demands for food. I've managed a few good shots of them but with long lenses from a distance.

For ME, a slightly lower viewpoint for the Old Hunter would have placed the rocks against the sky rather than letting them get a little lost against the fields behind.

I’ve never been inspired by an image of a Dartmoor Tor - though living on the edge of the moor I feel I ought to give it a try! Like you Nod, plenty from the surrounding woodland and rivers. Though there is something beautiful about granite side-lit with a setting sun. It’s just difficult to get a good background. I had a few from a lower perspective but didn’t like how the horizon bisected the rock. I agree it’s slightly lost in the background...

The ponies were great - not flighty or aggressive. Happy for me to get up close to them.

JannyFox, it would be nice to see the image you mentioned if you have it to hand...

JannyFox, it would be nice to see the image you mentioned if you have it to hand...

Here's the b/w one. The sunset is a print that needs a rescan. This day was one of those 'mist early but clearing later' ones that didn't. It was freezing. I'd walked out from Haytor, round by Hayne Down, Hound Tor and the bottom of the Honeybag ridge. I was going further but when Rippon Tor vanished in a cloud I decided enough was enough and went home.
I'm planning on the north moor on Tuesday. First time down there this year - yesssssss!

full

I grew up in Plymouth and loved the moors but I do not remember cattle only horses and sheep. When we’re cattle allowed?

Here's the b/w one. The sunset is a print that needs a rescan. This day was one of those 'mist early but clearing later' ones that didn't. It was freezing. I'd walked out from Haytor, round by Hayne Down, Hound Tor and the bottom of the Honeybag ridge. I was going further but when Rippon Tor vanished in a cloud I decided enough was enough and went home.
I'm planning on the north moor on Tuesday. First time down there this year - yesssssss!

full

The mist does give nice separation from the background. Good luck on Tuesday. Weather is looking good this week.

I grew up in Plymouth and loved the moors but I do not remember cattle only horses and sheep. When we’re cattle allowed?

Cows have always been there. A lot of them are taken off for the winter but I'd say there are more cows than ponies on the moor. Traditionally they were brought in from the surrounding areas for summer grazing. Not now of course. A lot are galloways with a smattering of other beef breeds including highlands.

The horse shots are quite nice that landscape shot though is a bit dark and needs a touch more contrast

You need to change you Flickr setting IMO as it is possible to download your shots

Here is a edit where I edited the rock stack selectively but the foreground needs to be closer to what you had

Not my shot 2020 2 by Alf Branch, on Flickr

Yours alongside for reference

Last edited:
The horse shots are quite nice that landscape shot though is a bit dark and needs a touch more contrast

You need to change you Flickr setting IMO as it is possible to download your shots

Here is a edit where I edited the rock stack selectively but the foreground needs to be closer to what you had

Not my shot 2020 2 by Alf Branch, on Flickr

Yours alongside for reference

Your edit brings out the light on the fields in the background quite well. I think I might be under-editing through fear of over-editing! I think the rule is the same with chefs and salting food. I.e. the more the better before it becomes noticeable. I shall have a tinker if I get chance tonight.

Your edit brings out the light on the fields in the background quite well. I think I might be under-editing through fear of over-editing! I think the rule is the same with chefs and salting food. I.e. the more the better before it becomes noticeable. I shall have a tinker if I get chance tonight.

Tom
Sometimes if you edit something and you are unsure save it close it and look a while later. Also if you are still unsure show it on here and see what people think especially if you tag it critique.

Crit - bit up tight against the frame. If you've cropped this try recropping to give the horse just a little bit of breathing space on the left. If not...frame a little more considerately...
Thanks Steve, unfortunately this was the original framing.

Back