A couple from Glen Nevis.

Name
Scott
Edit My Images
No
Decided to give Glencoe a miss today, it's rather busy at the weekends.
Instead heading deep in to Glen Nevis.
I have to say this was the worst conditions I've ever encountered on a mountain before. Driving hail with storm force gales behind it hurts like hell.
After a couple of hours I'd had enough. Mother nature won on this occasion and had to come down, the wind chill was just too much.

Glen Nevis.jpg

Glen Nevis II.jpg

I think you've got two very special takes and renditions
and they are a great surprise and pleasure!

Cheers Martin, yeah I much prefer the first to the second.
Both split toned but someone mentioned a slight red cast at another place so will have to have a look at the colour again. Oddly enough both are toned nowhere near the red channels so it could be monitor dependant.
The second is looking a little dull this morning so will maybe lift it a little if it's to be a keeper.

Last edited:
I like them both. I think you did well in adverse conditions

I see a slight green but the work computer is all over the place.

They are sort of partially desaturated and very underexposed I'm not sure what is going on. These conditions ask for full BW treatment (and proper exposure) but I'm struggling to pick one that has composition that is drawing and involving. The foreground is certainly lacking.

They are sort of partially desaturated and very underexposed I'm not sure what is going on. These conditions ask for full BW treatment (and proper exposure) but I'm struggling to pick one that has composition that is drawing and involving. The foreground is certainly lacking.

It's the split toning which gives them a certain appearance and aesthetic.

Exposure wise I'm seeing white snow (although now you mention it they're a bit dark) but I'd agree I'm not seeing a composition or subject that is particularly engaging

It's the split toning which gives them a certain appearance and aesthetic.

Exposure wise I'm seeing white snow (although now you mention it they're a bit dark) but I'd agree I'm not seeing a composition or subject that is particularly engaging

You can get one of the EXIF extensions that show histogram. It is more than 1-1.5 stops down and snow should be near pure white.

My guess is OP's camera wasn't adjusted for bright subject matter and was allowed to underexpose by default.

Reactions: ST4
You can get one of the EXIF extensions that show histogram. It is more than 1-1.5 stops down and snow should be near pure white.

My guess is OP's camera wasn't adjusted for bright subject matter and was allowed to underexpose by default.

I tend to put the thing in live view and use the histogram preview.

Problem for me is the subject chosen just isn't interesting.

I have to agree with you in part, not my finest hour but underexposed by 1-1.5 stops! My histogram doesn't suggest that but they both look dull and could do with a slight lift.
The second I can leave, it's not doing much for me. But do like the fallen tree partially covered in snow and the remains of the trunk still standing in the first. As a foreground it works for me, especially on the big screen.
But I might take your suggestion of a mono conversion on the first. It might suit this picture well but colour was what I had in my head. The colour, aside from the toning, has been saturated far more than I'd normally do as the tones were very muted against the driving snow and hail.
You guessed right. :) I did underexpose by choice (1/3 - 2/3rds a stop, can't remember which) shooting handheld in gusting gales, high iso on a wide aperture in an attempt to achieve a shutter speed to eliminate camera shake and tree movement due to high winds.

Last edited:
I'm a huge fan of yours Scott but I don't think these look right as they stand - it seems like the shadows have been lifted a bit too much but they're still underexposed. Number 1 would be a cracker with a few exposure tweaks and a black and white conversion

Back