A couple from my garden today.

Name
Adam
Edit My Images
Yes
Just really starting out with photography, first real attempt with birds. C+C welcomed. Both not as sharp as I would have hoped, bit noisy with 400, ISO any ideas? Some light post processing in LightRoom

Taken with D3200 + Sigma 70-300mm @ 5.6

Garden Bird by Pelicanpegs, on Flickr

Garden Bird by Pelicanpegs, on Flickr

Thanks

Not bad at all although I think your camera has possibly metered for the background as the birds are quite dark.

Thanks Dale,

A setting which I never understood/bothered to care about until now. Camera was set to Matrix Metering, I would assume for this kind of shot I should be using Spot Metering instead?

Thanks Dale,

A setting which I never understood/bothered to care about until now. Camera was set to Matrix Metering, I would assume for this kind of shot I should be using Spot Metering instead?

Yep, I would go for spot for that one. Metering is a fickle beast though.

Hi Adam, welcome to TP, good to see you jump straight in with some shots for crit.

As already mentioned, the bright backlighting had caused some underexposure here, so when faced with a situation like this, try either taking some teat shots first in manual mode, or adding some exposure compensation if you're using one of the automatic modes. Either way should help.

The eye level shooting position is good, and the poses of the bird are good, nice loose framing as well, hope to see some more

Mike

Thank you Mike,

I was too eager to start taking shots without spending time to really set things up correctly. Taking your advice, I had another go this morning, making sure to test the shot first! The strong back light against the field really is tricky, any slight movement in the bird can cause some real under/over exposure issues, but unfortunately I need the sunlight to give me the shutter speed without pushing the ISO too high. This time I attempted with spot metering which I think has helped. Couldn't decide which of the edits I preferred.

DSC_0578-2 by Pelicanpegs, on Flickr

DSC_0578 by Pelicanpegs, on Flickr

BTW, love your photos (y)

Thank you Mike,

I was too eager to start taking shots without spending time to really set things up correctly. Taking your advice, I had another go this morning, making sure to test the shot first! The strong back light against the field really is tricky, any slight movement in the bird can cause some real under/over exposure issues, but unfortunately I need the sunlight to give me the shutter speed without pushing the ISO too high. This time I attempted with spot metering which I think has helped. Couldn't decide which of the edits I preferred.

The photos will look a lot better if you gave the bird "space to look into".

As they are, the composition needs to be improved. I'm sure you will be able to fix it with a couple of decent crops (y)

Thank you Mike,

Cheers mate - not sure where your shots have gone, but good advice from Wez, and the goldie on your Flickr stream is framed really nice

Mike

Back