A couple from Skye

Name
Martin
Edit My Images
No
A couple from a whistlestop tour of Skye with @nickjohnwatson . 1037 miles, 45 hours, 3 hours of sleep.

1. Neist Point sunset, although we didn't plan on this location, it was a last minute change of plan after a completely cloudless sky meant we'd be shooting directly into the blazing sun at our planned location. Due to that we missed the best light on the cliffs, but what can you do! A 437 second exposure to make the most of what colour there was on the horizon and to flatten out and already flat, undramatic sea.

Neist Point by Martin Steele, on Flickr

2. A Quiraing sunrise. 9th time was the charm here for me, after failing on 8 previous occasions, I finally got that lovely warm, first light on the landscape. It was a moment to behold after trying for over 2 years.

The Quiraing by Martin Steele, on Flickr

Another pleasing Neist Point shot, the subdued colours work well.
I like the Quiraing shot, especially the light but the lack of 'that tree' being in the image will always give me the feeling that something is missing ... weird I know :)

Thanks @gramps The lack of 'that tree' was on purpose, as it just doesn't do it for me, plus every man and their dog does that typical Quiraing sunrise scene lol :)

I completely understand and you are absolutely right of course, however having risked life and limb (according to SWMBO) to shoot it, it is simply engraved on my mind now! :D

I think you've done very well in #1 for having quite flat light and no clouds at all. The long exposure has helped to capture a lovely magenta colour in the sky, which gives a sense of calmness to the whole image. The composition is spot on as well.

You must have been super happy with #2 after waiting two years to get the right light! That's the thing I love - and hate - about photography :p The raised land in the foreground and the road are strong leading lines into the rest of the image. The light is wonderful and you can tell straight away what time of day it was shot at, there are also lots of layers in the image which gives it an almost 3D effect.

I'd be extremely happy with both :)

The first image is especially lovely.
Looks very tranquil, yet dramatic atthe same time.

Two "Excellent" shots Martin, I like them both very much.(y)

George.

Back