Critique A couple from Skye.

Name
Nick
Edit My Images
Yes
A couple from a recent trip to the Isle of Skye.

1 - Fairy Pools - Glenbrittle

Canon 6D + 17 - 40L
Formatt Hitech firecrest IRND 10 stopper
Lee 0.6 hard grad
Lee 0.9 soft grad
30 seconds / f8 / iso50 / 26mm

2 - Elgol

Canon 6D + 17 - 40L
Lee 0.6 hard grad
Lee 0.9 soft grad
1/8th / f16 / iso50 / 17mm

Thanks for looking.

Nick

Like the Elgol shot Nick, different in seeing more foreground and good lead-in to the shot ... not sure about the sky in #1, to me it looks odd, others may love it :)

Like the Elgol shot Nick, different in seeing more foreground and good lead-in to the shot ... not sure about the sky in #1, to me it looks odd, others may love it :)

Cheers :) The sky is a bit mad, I like it as the clouds are going in 2 different directions depending on their height which is unusual, appreciate its not to everyone's taste :)

You know I hate dull and grey images more than anything but its genuinely compelling in the second shot, just as its so different.

Cheers dude, the weather was uninspiring to say the least but we'd been looking forward to getting there all day so i was determined to get something i liked. I took loads down by the shoreline but just wasn't feeling any of them so i scrambled up the top and shot a wider view which I think looks nicer. I've got one with a load of ferns in the foreground too which I might have a gander at later :)

It's a long way to go for grey skies. I am a big believer of checking various forecasts before venturing out.
The forecast was great, and the weather over the rest of Skye was spot on. It just turned while we were on the way - I'm a fan of making the most of whatever the situations are so although it was overcast the slightly grey day didn't fuss me too much :)

2nd shot works for me, nice angle... can't quite get on with the first, the skies too distracting, maybe a tighter framing cutting out the sky and making use of the wonderful textures and contrast in the cliffs surrounding the waterfall would have worked?

Simon

It's a long way to go for grey skies. I am a big believer of checking various forecasts before venturing out.

I have visited Skye fifteen or sixteen times now at all times of the year and I can tell you that the weather forecasts are pretty meaningless,
Nick I like both images, the first because the sky is so unusual it is highly unlikely to be repeated, the second because you have taken the trouble to find a slightly different viewpoint to the norm.

I really like the first shot as it is that bit different and shows the result of making choices on the use of the 10stop to blur the sky, plus there's good texture to it as well. The second one is OK and kudos for attempting something different with the foreground, but it isn't quite working for me. I'm wondering how it would look with the same processing as the first one?

I really like the first shot as it is that bit different and shows the result of making choices on the use of the 10stop to blur the sky, plus there's good texture to it as well. The second one is OK and kudos for attempting something different with the foreground, but it isn't quite working for me. I'm wondering how it would look with the same processing as the first one?
I've been thinking the same, going to have a look tonight :-D

Excellent first shot enhanced by careful thought about which filters to use. Needs a couple of views and some pondering to be comfortable with the sky though.It's different for sure. I think because it's in a confined area..usually skies like this are part of a pano shot.

Re. the second one..Good framing,as mentioned above.An attractive image.I'm wondering if a little on the contrast on the foreground would enhance it.Interesting sky too.

Excellent first shot enhanced by careful thought about which filters to use. Needs a couple of views and some pondering to be comfortable with the sky though.It's different for sure. I think because it's in a confined area..usually skies like this are part of a pano shot.

Re. the second one..Good framing,as mentioned above.An attractive image.I'm wondering if a little on the contrast on the foreground would enhance it.Interesting sky too.
Thanks John, appreciate that feedback :)

Two "Cracking" shots Nick, I like them both very much.(y)

George.

Back