A couple from the coast & a question.

Edit My Images
No
I havnt posted for a while due to work & not having much time for photography. Also my computer went bang so I had no processing cabability for a while. I dont currently have photoshop but am wondering if i need it at the moment & would be interested to hear other peoples views!? I have lightroom but I also had photoshop before which I mainly used for shadow/highlight adjustment & cloning etc as well as heavier editing where layers are required. hese images have been processed in lightroom only.
These were both taken on the Landguard Peninsula at Felixstowe in Suffolk

1, 8 secs at f/13
IMG_0216 by Tom Harvey, on Flickr

2, 0.6 secs at f/13
IMG_0302 by Tom Harvey, on Flickr

Thanks for looking

Last edited:
Not a lot wrong with those 2, Tom. I might have tried a step or 2 to the right for number 1 and gone for landscape format, possibly sticking the horizon on the top third line and using the stumps as a lead in line from the bottom left corner (or going left etc..) While I do use Photoshop (Elements), I barely scrape the surface of what it can do and mainly use it to crop and resize rather than full blown PP. TBH, I'd probably be happy using an old version but since I have 12, I may as well use it!

As compositions I like em both, I think with number one you're probably 20mins too late with the light, and the second only crit is the foreground looks a bit bright for the rest of the scene. It's a smashing shot though with lovely movement

Thanks for the comments guys

The first shot was a bit of a grab really as I was walking back from the pier & decided to stop so it may have been better to be there earlier.

Yeah I think that the sky in the second shot could do with the sky lightening a bit having looked at it again.

I think I'm gonna grab a copy of ps elements as it should do the things I want.

Tom, to answer your question honestly as a local photographer that I respect my first thought was that these are not as good as your usual older stuff. The highlights in the sky look too far pulled, possibly on top of being grad filtered (?) and this would suggest that whatever you are doing now with just LR does not match what you were doing before!

Tom, to answer your question honestly as a local photographer that I respect my first thought was that these are not as good as your usual older stuff. The highlights in the sky look too far pulled, possibly on top of being grad filtered (?) and this would suggest that whatever you are doing now with just LR does not match what you were doing before!

Thanks for your comment Craig

Yeah I just don't feel I have the control over the image that I did before. I am also getting used to a new pc so whether that has anything to do with it I'm not sure!

1 is a bit dark for me. But a nice composition.

2 really works for me, love those long streaks and nicely placed rock.

I use LR for 99% of my processing. I have elements and Nik and find I rarely need anything more than LR can do. If I needs something more complex in PP it probably means I buggered it up in camera!! Which is not where I want to be. The only exception is silver efex pro for mono conversion, LR can't touch it.

Thanks for the comment Alan

I have tweaked the second shot a bit & am happier with it now

Back