A couple more Lemon sharks

How long are these things?
Why are they so scary?
Why do they show their teeth all the time?
How big can their mouth open?
What about their temper?

Obviously, my concerns, fears, and ignorance
won't stop you taking great shots of them. (y)

How long are these things?

These ones were about 8-9 feet in length and there were about 15 of them around us

Why are they so scary?

They really aren't scary. They have no interest in harming us - we're way too big for them. They bump into you a lot and you just push them away

Why do they show their teeth all the time?

It's just a natural way for this particular species - they're known to 'grin'

How big can their mouth open?

About 18 inches from what I saw

What about their temper?

Very very docile. Once you know what you're doing obviously!

It's a real pity the effect 'Jaws' had on the public because sharks are a massively important part of the ecosystem, cleaning the oceans of sick and dead fish

Mike

Very good shots!

How long have you been diving for? I tried it once, struggled to get used to the breathing and decided it wasn't for me! Looking at these though wish i did like it!

great shots

Thanks for that

Beautiful especially the first one

Cheers, appreciated

Very good shots!

How long have you been diving for? I tried it once, struggled to get used to the breathing and decided it wasn't for me! Looking at these though wish i did like it!

Thanks Liam. I first qualified in 1998. Its well worth trying again if you fancy it. The breathing is a bit weird at first but as your confidence grows you suddenly forget about it and it all becomes natural again. Takes people different lengths of time to get to a comfort level but its great being underwater if it really interests you.

Nice one Mike, where have you been? Bahamas?

Hi Lee, These were about an hours boat ride away from Palm Beach in Florida. I went with Deep Obsessions charters who work in conjunction with Jim Abernethy. Incidentally I was supposed to have a private dive one day with Jim which would have been a great experience but he is currently having ear problems so never got to do it.

Its a baited dive with about 15 Lemons around, a couple of Bulls, Nurse sharks, with grey reefies close by. One Great Hammerhead made a very fleeting appearance but much too far away for photos. There are visits from tiger sharks on about 20% of the dives which come up and give the divers a little love nudge, but sadly we didn't get any on any of my dives - they were my real target and hopes, but it just means I'll have to go again one day!

The Lemons are quite bold and you find yourself having to push them away at times, had them swimming through my legs and all sorts - really docile and beautiful.

Mike

Mike, sounds good, shame you didnt see a Tiger!

Good to have a bold shark, makes taking photos so much easier!

Ey up "fish",opps Mike,,,, how ya doing:D Mike I used to get called that as a kid cause I never left the sea,but of late you've earnt the nickname,with some style too buddy. ;)

Stunning images again Mike, really like the first. You have mentioned Jaws...... for all the world I can't but think that the other is a huge great white asending from the deep to munch poor lemon,I know mate,but that is how the image speaks too me. i'm sure that shape is nowt like a white,.

Mike i'll gladly admit to jaws being slightly unnerving as a kid when we saw it. Honestly it never kept us out of the water or made me think any less of sharks have a deep facination for dogfish mate some some reason.... but at night when all is black and the phosphoresence glowing on the surface I think anyone could forgive me being a bit twitchy .

wonderful images mate really love seeing these.

cheers for sharing 'em

Stu

Love sharks, so these are right my street. Would absolutley pay money to be able to actually watch,let alone tog wild Sharks.

Ive never understood the fear of Sharks, I just find them an utterly absorbing apex predator.

Loving the pics. obv.

Was this an organised thing you did ?
Any details if so ?

Love sharks, so these are right my street. Would absolutley pay money to be able to actually watch,let alone tog wild Sharks.

Ive never understood the fear of Sharks, I just find them an utterly absorbing apex predator.

Loving the pics. obv.

Was this an organised thing you did ?
Any details if so ?

Hi Mark,

Yes this was an organised trip, run regular by Deep Obsessions in Palm Beach, Florida.

Apologies if you're not a diver and don't understand the below technicalities, but the dive goes something along these lines.

Arrive at the location and everybody goes in as close to each other on a negative entry, so no messing about at the surface, and head down to 29-30 metres to a designated spot. There will be 2 divers guiding, and one of these will have a crate of fish parts to attract the sharks. At this point the Lemons circle round whilst the Nurse sharks try and get at the crate. Other species may get close as well. We stay there for 10-15 minutes whilst we attract sharks.

As a group we then ascend to around 12 metres and stay close to each other with the crate suspended in open water and all drift in the current together whilst the sharks circle round us, and this is where the best photo ops are.

You have to work as a team as opposed to more traditional diving in buddy pairs.

Nitrox is pretty much required and you have to be fully covered including hoods and gloves. You must also be a good diver and happy with your buoyancy as there is no point of reference in the open blue. Although there are other divers close by you must, in effect, be self reliant and confident as you don't want to be thrashing around.

Deep Obsessions have sprung from Jim Abernethys Scuba Adventures and use the same headquarters.

http://www.deepobsessioncharters.com

http://scuba-adventures.com

Mike

Back