Critique A couple of boxing shots.

Name
Matty
Edit My Images
No
I've been shooting a bit of boxing recently, but I'm not finding a lot of scope to create shots I enjoy. I guess working to a brief, only allows for a small amount of a creative window, but I am starting to find a few shots appeal more to me.
I've been ramping up the ISO to shoot without flash normally (ISO3200 to 6400) which allows for a decent enough shutter speed, but I'm trying to factor in a bit of flash too, which I think works ok.
Anyway, a couple of shots from the weekend. C&C more than welcomed.

1) Stay right there
Stay There! by Matt White, on Flickr

2) Brutal
UWCB Barnsley by Matt White, on Flickr

Cheers

Matty

Captured the moment in the first and the second is very dramatic IMO.

#1 - Wow
#2 - Floury yolk

Just the sort of critique I was looking for - Thank you as always David

2 nice shots Matt, but the first is superb!

Cheers Neil, playing about with a bit of colour is about as much as I can do at the moment. Thank you!!!

Captured the moment in the first and the second is very dramatic IMO.

Thanks Di, Its hard trying to catch a moment when everything is so frantic. I am much more suited to landscapes in this respect i think! Thank you

I would really stay away from flash.. you expect grain and roughness from boxing shots not crisp clear.. your flash stays out the ring which causes the rope shadow and it's not very nice for the boxers.. other photographers (if there) or the crowd....

I quite like these. Do you require flash and are you allowed to use it for such an event? I watched the Chris Eubank Jnr fight at the weekend and was watching the todgers and they weren't using flash. Isn't the ring brightly lit enough to use without at lower ISO?

Good job on the photos :)

I would really stay away from flash.. you expect grain and roughness from boxing shots not crisp clear.. your flash stays out the ring which causes the rope shadow and it's not very nice for the boxers.. other photographers (if there) or the crowd....

Cheers Tony, it was more an experimentation, as 99% of the boxing work I do is without flash. There is no problem with me using flash if I wanted to, but this was more of an experiment to see how it came out. Appreciate your comments re grain - It's something as a landscape photographer that I stay well away from, so I guess thats the difficulty I have in embracing it.

I quite like these. Do you require flash and are you allowed to use it for such an event? I watched the Chris Eubank Jnr fight at the weekend and was watching the todgers and they weren't using flash. Isn't the ring brightly lit enough to use without at lower ISO?

Good job on the photos :)

Thanks Kris, I'm not required to use flash, I just shoot with it for the entrance & post fight shots. I just thought to give it a try out. It is permitted, and it's more for curiosity that I shot a round with it than anything. To be honest, the lighting levels from event to event vary wildly, but its nothing that ISO 3200 / 6400 cannot handle. Its about maintaining a shutter speed of 1/250s or quicker to ensure that you can freeze the important elements of the shot I guess.

Amazing pictures, both enhancing the drama in this sport. I'm impressed! Thanks for sharing them here

Great pictures. I'm pleased to see a tight crop in the second one, I'll never understand people who think it's important to see a boxer's legs.

Amazing pictures, both enhancing the drama in this sport. I'm impressed! Thanks for sharing them here

Thanks Angelo, I'm relatively new to shooting boxing, but its a great atmosphere to work in, and I am trying to factor in some creativity when time allows. Cheers

Great pictures. I'm pleased to see a tight crop in the second one, I'll never understand people who think it's important to see a boxer's legs.

Its strange isn't it. But the full length shots allow for the potential of knock down shots too, so I guess there is a place for it. Personally I prefer the closer in shots which show a bit more intimacy and atmosphere - Thank you

numer 1 is excellent

Thanks very much indeed

Love the action of Pic 2,
pic 1 is sensational though.

Cracking stuff Matty, a little bit too heavy on the twinkly lighting. I could definitely see the first one in the original post in a magazine.

Cracking stuff Matty, a little bit too heavy on the twinkly lighting. I could definitely see the first one in the original post in a magazine.

Thanks Martin, I'm definitely trying to work on getting some shots from these that I aim to keep. Glad to hear that I am going in the right direction. Cheers

Don't like the lights in first pic but love pic number 2, very creative and shows the atmosphere

Really like the second shot Matty, very dynamic & lots of impact (excuse the pun), captures the moment very well. Even the referee is nicely framed by the boxers

Back