A couple of days at Bempton- a couple more added

Name
Mike
Edit My Images
Yes
I helped out with a workshop tour last week, so had a few sessions at Bempton, mainly with the gannets. First time I've done this and its a little nerve wracking but I really enjoyed the challenge - especially when I managed to find a little time for some shots of my own. I'll probably add a few more as I sort through them all

Flared-incoming-gannet-28-june-1-TP.jpg

Anitas-gannet-TP.jpg

Gannet-IF-sillhouette-1024.jpg

preening-1-TP.jpg

lost-gannet-portrait-TP-2.jpg

Mike

Last edited:
Great shots as always. No 3 is a different take to the usual shot, at first I thought it was a different bird. I like the feet being lowered in no 1 and the pose in no 4.

How did you manage to keep the feather detail, particularly in no 4?

Just lovely work Mike, as always. I love the first, but there's nothing shabby about the others, particularly how sharp they are. (y)

super set mike ,no lying on the ground for these

Great shots as always. No 3 is a different take to the usual shot, at first I thought it was a different bird. I like the feet being lowered in no 1 and the pose in no 4.

he's got 50 grands worth of gear :banana::banana::banana::banana::banana:

Cheers for that.

For me, the key for white birds is all in the initial exposure, and I use the histogram and more specifically the blinkies to see where its all at. I get the histogram over as far as I can to the right without blowing anything, then look at the blinkies. On a dull day you can get away with a few blinkies flashing as you're looking at a jpeg on the back of the screen - the RAW will have more latitude for when you take it into post. On a bright day you really want to be avoiding blinkies anywhere you think you might want detail.

Then in post (this bit's in photoshop) I use a mix of curves adjustments, dodge and burn, and the selective colour layer to get as much detail as I can. Sounds a lot but once you've got your head round it it doesn't take long at all.

Give me a shout if you want more specifics

Mike

super set mike ,no lying on the ground for these

Cheers Jeff - stayed on my feet for these ones!

Ha ha - I wish! Please be careful about spreading these rumours, the wife might see and believe!

Some of the group I was with had D850's, you should have seen some of the detail they were getting - that looks an awesome bit of kit.

Mike

Some of the group I was with had D850's, you should have seen some of the detail they were getting - that looks an awesome bit of kit.

Mike

yep they look good mike ,pleased enough with my change to Panasonic ,every time I go out I learn a bit more .

Top set Mike ,totaly forgot about the workshop,,Did you say hello to Artie for me ;)
Hope it all when well

I've been invited back next year so I'm guessing it went well! A good experience, very different from shooting alone or with a mate, but picked up a few tips

Mike

I've been invited back next year so I'm guessing it went well! A good experience, very different from shooting alone or with a mate, but picked up a few tips

Mike
Glad it went well , lots of pressure in those sort of situations i feel it when i take people down to the farm even though there is no money involved..

The last morning I was there started off with bright sunshine - awful conditions for a Bempton morning. Half the group asked me to take then to the Staple Newk end and it was pretty pointless, so after an hour they headed back to the car park. I then went up to the far Note West part to suggest the other half of the group call it quits when a thick mist started rolling in and we had a great half hour with white backdrops. Heres a couple from the ever changing conditions due to the mist.

Incoming-2-29-june-TP.jpg

Hi-key-with-nesting-29-June-TP.jpg

Mike

yeah I know,thing is we all hate him 'cause if he only had 10p's worth of gear the above gannets would still be banging . It's really hard hating him too cause he spends so much time trying to make us heathens better;)

BUUUUT,

when do we tell his wife jeff, I need more money :D

Mike me logic's sound you'll be ok with 45K's worth bro ,sorry mate with a lead in like Jeff's how could I not.,:p

Oh Kiddo ,i'm thrilled for ya on the gig,truly mike.......... you mentioned it somewhere,i'm stoked it went well,if it get's featured in a blog anywhere give me a slap please,I'd love to read about what you got up too:)

Numero uno for me Mike the splayed feet the wings fanned tail all in one frame, after that the silhouette the then the sword fight;) The second of my choices appeals because of that same fanned tail Mike,but the light through it this time,really sets it apart from many.

Beautiful photography mate ,sorry about the micky taking ......Jeff had me crying had to play :p

stu

yeah I know,thing is we all hate him 'cause if he only had 10p's worth of gear the above gannets would still be banging . It's really hard hating him too cause he spends so much time trying to make us heathens better;)

BUUUUT,

when do we tell his wife jeff, I need more money :D

Mike me logic's sound you'll be ok with 45K's worth bro ,sorry mate with a lead in like Jeff's how could I not.,:p

Oh Kiddo ,i'm thrilled for ya on the gig,truly mike.......... you mentioned it somewhere,i'm stoked it went well,if it get's featured in a blog anywhere give me a slap please,I'd love to read about what you got up too:)

Numero uno for me Mike the splayed feet the wings fanned tail all in one frame, after that the silhouette the then the sword fight;) The second of my choices appeals because of that same fanned tail Mike,but the light through it this time,really sets it apart from many.

Beautiful photography mate ,sorry about the micky taking ......Jeff had me crying had to play :p

stu

Cheers Stu - Oh to have 45 grand to spend on camera gear!!

I think there may be a blog entry at some point, it has been threatened - I'll let you know (as long as its positive!)

Mike

Seriously mate despite my being a silly sod I'm so glad it went well,even if I had your talent that gig would have given me the jitters for sure.

Yeah i know mate 45K,what would that be like, it's seriously unimaginable,but not really enough;),a wee tale for ya.............. Mike,I met a lovely lovely, guy ,ever so cool ever so ordinary that makes vids. We were shooting owls together,ok he was, they were to far for me :(. We got chatting he was off to Norfolk for hares,and I sort of mentioned you are completely bonkers mate they are under you nose. We met againa few weeks later and he said he felt norfolk might not be needed . Any this is the relevent bit. when he turned up he put up this massive tripod,we both mused what was going on that!! He then mauled this massive rig onto the pod,the lens was a canon,WOW I didn't realise Canon made big black lenses.

I know now from that experience,that I need:Dthat lens and sadly45K doesn't cut it...AT ALL:eek: Have a look at that cine servo 50-1000.mm,with integral 1.5 ext, ie 50 -1500mm. Frankly if one is gonna suffer from G.A.S then one may as well do the job properly mate!! What a tool though Mike,although as usual there are smiles all over the place in me post,I found that whole experience mind blowing. The fact that Canon could even make that zoom,blew my mind,the cost blew my mind. But best of all was the fact that that lovely guy,whom had been making vids since childhood,his complete passion ,had managed,to snag one...as an amateur . what an inspiration .

Sorry for wafflin bro,you are more than likely aware,of this lens,it just struck me 45K on camera gear is for all of us serious dream land stuff,one would really think it would buy anything any product,god I used to be shocked by the price of a new 300f2.8 let alone the bogger lenses. Seeing that lens in the flesh really blew me away when I found it and saw the cost,utter and complete disbelief:)

seeya

Nice set Mike - I was there last week and the light was awful - bright sun (I have to have some excuse) and you know what my pp skills are like! Glad that your workshop went well. TFS

Seriously mate despite my being a silly sod I'm so glad it went well,even if I had your talent that gig would have given me the jitters for sure.

Yeah i know mate 45K,what would that be like, it's seriously unimaginable,but not really enough;),a wee tale for ya.............. Mike,I met a lovely lovely, guy ,ever so cool ever so ordinary that makes vids. We were shooting owls together,ok he was, they were to far for me :(. We got chatting he was off to Norfolk for hares,and I sort of mentioned you are completely bonkers mate they are under you nose. We met againa few weeks later and he said he felt norfolk might not be needed . Any this is the relevent bit. when he turned up he put up this massive tripod,we both mused what was going on that!! He then mauled this massive rig onto the pod,the lens was a canon,WOW I didn't realise Canon made big black lenses.

I know now from that experience,that I need:Dthat lens and sadly45K doesn't cut it...AT ALL:eek: Have a look at that cine servo 50-1000.mm,with integral 1.5 ext, ie 50 -1500mm. Frankly if one is gonna suffer from G.A.S then one may as well do the job properly mate!! What a tool though Mike,although as usual there are smiles all over the place in me post,I found that whole experience mind blowing. The fact that Canon could even make that zoom,blew my mind,the cost blew my mind. But best of all was the fact that that lovely guy,whom had been making vids since childhood,his complete passion ,had managed,to snag one...as an amateur . what an inspiration .

Sorry for wafflin bro,you are more than likely aware,of this lens,it just struck me 45K on camera gear is for all of us serious dream land stuff,one would really think it would buy anything any product,god I used to be shocked by the price of a new 300f2.8 let alone the bogger lenses. Seeing that lens in the flesh really blew me away when I found it and saw the cost,utter and complete disbelief:)

seeya

I had a similar experience last year when the BBC came to the house to film my youngest daughter. The video camera operator was freelance and I casually asked after the price of the equipment, unbelievable! He did not have the monster lens you mention but it made the price of my 7Dii look like pocket money.

Just wish I could afford a 1dxii.

I had a similar experience last year when the BBC came to the house to film my youngest daughter. The video camera operator was freelance and I casually asked after the price of the equipment, unbelievable! He did not have the monster lens you mention but it made the price of my 7Dii look like pocket money.

Just wish I could afford a 1dxii.
Mike's it's your thread, I hope you don't mind me replying to Archie

Archie, it's mind blowing money isn't it. cheers for your tale

Mate frankly,I wish all whom want could afford a 1 DXii. Archie i'm closing on hopefully being able to have one myself,that is if I don't do meself in through grafting too hard. Archie what I find so hard ,is that so many will never get the chance to even try to work extra,to be able to afford a camera like that, their wages are simply too low. So many live just above poverty in this country,genuine good honest hard working folks,but spare money is rarely part of their lives,no matter how hard they graft. If they get the chance of 60hour weeks any extra earned is just swallowed by bills

I know I've already bought a dream lens and am closing on a body to go with it,but my god I feel so damn fortunate to have a chance to try.

Ok I have no life at the mo.....I eat work an sleep and hopefully get to play cameras at the weekend,but that wont be forever. I am making a choice,to stay on and graft it out as hard as it is to earn 6K by the blummin meter,ie 50 p's I am making a choice,not every one is so lucky.

I can't help it mate I just can't help but think of folks whom just have no way to find the money for the tool they would really like to use for what they make images of,which normally also tend to be expensive,leastways with the genre we are musing .

I so understand your last line Archie :(,despite that feeling of me being among the luckier ones,I really do get your last line

all the luck bro

stu

Mate frankly,I wish all whom want could afford a 1 DXii. Archie i'm closing on hopefully being able to have one myself,that is if I don't do meself in through grafting too hard. Archie what I find so hard ,is that so many will never get the chance to even try to work extra,to be able to afford a camera like that, their wages are simply too low. So many live just above poverty in this country,genuine good honest hard working folks,but spare money is rarely part of their lives,no matter how hard they graft. If they get the chance of 60hour weeks any extra earned is just swallowed by bills

I know I've already bought a dream lens and am closing on a body to go with it,but my god I feel so damn fortunate to have a chance to try.

Ok I have no life at the mo.....I eat work an sleep and hopefully get to play cameras at the weekend,but that wont be forever. I am making a choice,to stay on and graft it out as hard as it is to earn 6K by the blummin meter,ie 50 p's I am making a choice,not every one is so lucky.

I can't help it mate I just can't help but think of folks whom just have no way to find the money for the tool they would really like to use for what they make images of,which normally also tend to be expensive,leastways with the genre we are musing .

I so understand your last line Archie :(,despite that feeling of me being among the luckier ones,I really do get your last line

all the luck bro

stu

No worries at all Stu - meanwhile here's one shot in fog with a 7 year old camera and a 19 year old lens!!

Incoming-against-fog-1-29-June-TP.jpg

Mike

Mike,thanks for the kindness.

Mate back to your images, it struck me as I stared at the luvverly additions, which is your fav from all of the above, mate?? It's a hell of a set , most of us would be stoked with one of the above,just curious really

c'mon England:D

stu

This thread just keeps delivering, awesome set. I couldn't pick a favourite, they're all excellent but I am leaning to the last but one image, it's different with the brighter BG than we'd normally see and it works, it's an image with a twist and I like that. The detail in all is very good and the eyes in particular of the images just grab me as a viewer.

Nice set Mike - I was there last week and the light was awful - bright sun (I have to have some excuse) and you know what my pp skills are like! Glad that your workshop went well. TFS

Thanks John, yeah, its hard work in the bright light, I'ma fan of really late light there, and we dropped lucky with some cloud/fog cover on 2 occasions which really helped.

This thread just keeps delivering, awesome set. I couldn't pick a favourite, they're all excellent but I am leaning to the last but one image, it's different with the brighter BG than we'd normally see and it works, it's an image with a twist and I like that. The detail in all is very good and the eyes in particular of the images just grab me as a viewer.

Thanks Dale, glad you like them

Mike,thanks for the kindness.

Mate back to your images, it struck me as I stared at the luvverly additions, which is your fav from all of the above, mate?? It's a hell of a set , most of us would be stoked with one of the above,just curious really

c'mon England:D

stu

Ay up Stu, you had me thinking when you posted that - and suddenly I realised I hadn't posted my favourite! So, especially for you is my favourite shot from the sessions, just something a bit different.

Angel-gannet-TP.jpg

Mike

Beautiful set of shots, particularly #9! I'm going to Bempton next week so I hope to get some photo opportunities as good as these when I'm there. :D

You look like you had a good time mike ,I,m not telling your wife ,your the only bloke I know bigger than me LOL and you know where I live OOPS

stuart take a peek at my latest egret shots ,I bought the camera body last Friday it cost me brand new in box with 30 months warranty the grand sum of £234. after cashback . ..

In ten years time none of us will recognise what we are using now

Ha that's fortuitous hey Mike, i'm really glad I asked now 'cause we've all got to look at a belter.of a frame:cool:. Still like that first though Mike, I've come back to it several times now .. It's quite oft the actual image maker doesn't say which one he prefers,I guess it might affect honest crit?? who knows?? Is it the same bird mate same set of images seconds apart?

Jeff I will I have already a bit ,but I'm a basket case bro,am not replying all that much to anything In all honesty.

That is what digi is to me Jeff,a constant procession of disbelief at the amazing progress of it all . Jeff , look a good image maker is gonna make something amazing with any thing ,you have a couple of light years ( ha that was cool;) ) on me. youl'd make a half decent frame with a brick bro:p you would though !!

1dxii won't make me a better image maker jeff,just help me along in a couple of areas

plus it's part of the bigger 400DO picture in my particular tool kit.
The law of deminishing returns state this is pretty much madness for me to attempt or think about but what the hell mate
One life,live it............ pain is temporary (I tell my self that when I wake),and I'm there for grey or second hand,plus Mr Tax man owes me money he's kept of mine for a year,roll 'n' roll:banana:

The tools don't make the image jeff the maker does they just help a bit and can be silly expensive, or cheeper Tis not about how much they cost ,tis how they are used and the finite levels that they are capable of. annnd how that relates to what each of us does. LMAO did that make sense:D:whistle:
there is always another way, I get that:)

Lovely Mike !!!!!

stu

all the luck bro

stu

(Apologies to Mike)

Stu,

I really appreciate your response but I have probably misled you. I am not on the bread line by any means, it is just that my commitments are different, families are expensive! A 1Dx ii is hard to justify.

Your enthusiasm for photography is very refreshing and you obviously work very hard to save up for the best equipment.

I often think my photography would be easier and cheaper if I stopped taking pictures of birds, but I like the challenge.

Hopefully I have not offended you.

Not in any way Archie,have you offended me :D none nada nothing:)

I'll stop there bro;)

stu

Some lovely images, I particularly like your last one as it does look a very different 'pose' for a Gannet. I'm there next Monday for another attempt on these beautiful birds......hope it's not tooooo busy as it was 11 days ago!

Some lovely images, I particularly like your last one as it does look a very different 'pose' for a Gannet. I'm there next Monday for another attempt on these beautiful birds......hope it's not tooooo busy as it was 11 days ago!
Oh, snap! Might see you there. I'll be the other one with the Fuji gear. ;)

Back