A couple of Solitary bees

Nice detailed and natural pictures. Out of curiosity, did you do these on a tripod or hand held. I'm always curious as to technique used :). Good way to learn.

Not sure what they might be up to, it's certainly still very cold up here, so wouldn't expect to see bees for a while yet

Now that 1st shot is lovely and what colour it has.
I dont think your on social media site but if you are or know someone that is there is a few super groups on there that will help with the ID.

Nice detailed and natural pictures. Out of curiosity, did you do these on a tripod or hand held. I'm always curious as to technique used :). Good way to learn.

Not sure what they might be up to, it's certainly still very cold up here, so wouldn't expect to see bees for a while yet

Thanks Gil
I shoot handheld with diffused flash and with MF usually

You can tell sex by number of segments
http://articles.extension.org/pages/29762/characters-used-in-identifying-bees
"The apical, or last, 10 - 11 segments of the antenna form the section of the antenna called the flagellum. Female bees have 10 segments in the flagellum while male bees have 11 segments"
Saying that I not managed to take a photo yet that shows that.

I am not sure I have such shots either

Now that 1st shot is lovely and what colour it has.
I dont think your on social media site but if you are or know someone that is there is a few super groups on there that will help with the ID.

Thanks Graham

Nice couple of Bee images here.
I like Solitary Bees ;) ive had a couple show up in my garden this season, but still waiting for them to emerge properly...damn cool/rainy weather is not helping!!!
The weekend looks better...an next week should warm right up for us.

Thanks Paul
We had a nice warm spell and I had a chance to get out

Lots of detail in both. I like that.

The thread title is a bit of an oxymoron though.o_O

Back