A couple of the little 'uns

Lovely! I like the processing, I might have been tempted to drop the opacity down a wee bit on the texture, but that's just me. 85mm 1.8 is a lovely lens! I had one when I was using Nikon and loved it. Have yet to replace it with the Canon version... it's on my wishlist. :)

Hi Jim

I've recently acquired the same lens and it's way better than I thought. Most of my recent shots have been with the 85!

I like the first shot. Nice catchlights/eyes and a cheeky expression well caught. I'd also turn down the texture a bit (esp camera right). He's a bit central in the frame for my tastes but that's just me!! Same for the second one, bit like the eyes there too.

S

Thank you both for taking the time to post Bethy & Shaheed - funnily enough the above were 'inspired' by the two of you! Long been a fan of both your styles and images so thought I'd try something along those lines and I'm fairly pleased with the results. Definitely need more practise though to be up to the standards of you both :)
Definitely agree about the texture, having taken a break and revisited it - I need to tone it down a touch in future. Unfortunately the square crop was a necessity as these were just quick captures in the play room with available light so lots of distracting background stuff and not really much chance to pose the little mentalists. They were supposed to be tidying their toys. Yeah, right. :p
Ethan's (the older one) eyes are indeed different - I have a feeling those and the eyelashes are going to cause us lots of problems in years to come!
Cheers
Jim

Lovely! I'd turn the texture down too. There seems to be some haloing around his head in the first image, often a result of boosting the clarity, structure, or whatever your software calls local contrast manipulation. It may just be how you've lit the backdrop but I don't think that's the case here.

.. and on closer inspection the second one has it too, most noticeable at the top of the head and beside the camera left cheek.

I only notice 'cos I keep coming back to my own images and noticing the same problem, so now I'm on the lookout for it.

I like these they have a nice 'feel' to them like a painting

I have also just got the 85mm 1.8g and its a superb lens - VERY sharp even wide open

Back