A day in the life of a mountain.

Name
Iain
Edit My Images
Yes
I spent Tuesday exploring the Snowdon horns, a side of Snowdon I hadn't been to before.
The summit of Snowdon was covered in cloud all day, so I decided to shoot the lower peaks of Y Lliwedd instead.

I got three shots which i am reasonably pleased with. One from sunrise, one mid afternoon and one just a few minutes after sunset.

Any feedback appreciated.

Thanks for looking

Iain
2019-01-24_02-37-25.jpg2019-01-24_12-11-24.jpg2019-01-24_02-47-08.jpg

Agree that the light in the first one is great. Second one I like the contrast in the rusty colours which pop compared to all the whites. I also like how muted the colours are in the final one with the exception of the drama in the sky on the left, gives a real sense of the conditions. In the third one I do find the exposed face of the rock on the left slightly distracting because it contrasts so much but no easy fix and not a big deal.

First and third are excellent. Am not sure the small stream in the second is strong enough to complement Lliwedd. The Horns are a great way up and very peaceful compared with the main tracks.

I like them, the composition on the third is very strong.

I would like to see the whites a bit whiter though. I realise it was a dull day but they feel very dull. Lifting the whites would help a lot I think. Too much vignette on the final one too.

Brilliant in catching the golden light in No1.
In No3, I keep moving the image up and down on my iPad and seeing a pano (without the water at the bottom), giving 50/50 on the marvellous sky and the mountain which has stunning detail.

Agree that the light in the first one is great. Second one I like the contrast in the rusty colours which pop compared to all the whites. I also like how muted the colours are in the final one with the exception of the drama in the sky on the left, gives a real sense of the conditions. In the third one I do find the exposed face of the rock on the left slightly distracting because it contrasts so much but no easy fix and not a big deal.

That rock on the left annoys me too. I noticed it when reviewing the images only after I'd just stepped in the foreground pool to try a different composition.
Maybe I could try a little dodging to make it less distracting.

First and third are excellent. Am not sure the small stream in the second is strong enough to complement Lliwedd. The Horns are a great way up and very peaceful compared with the main tracks.

I see what you mean about the stream. The rock isn't quite noticeable enough I think.

Yeah, the horns are great. Really enjoyed the day. I spent a fair bit of time there and walked about halfway up the pyg track before turning round as the summit was showing no signs of clearing.

I like them, the composition on the third is very strong.

I would like to see the whites a bit whiter though. I realise it was a dull day but they feel very dull. Lifting the whites would help a lot I think. Too much vignette on the final one too.

Thanks Craig. What would be the best way to go about sorting the whites? Just a case of a levels adjustment?

Unfortunately I'm away on a work trip now, so no access to any editing software for a couple of weeks

Brilliant in catching the golden light in No1.
In No3, I keep moving the image up and down on my iPad and seeing a pano (without the water at the bottom), giving 50/50 on the marvellous sky and the mountain which has stunning detail.

I didn't think of trying that. I'm stuck in the wide angle and foreground interest phase of landscape photography at the moment

Three very pleasing accomplished winter pictures but agree, the white snow needs lifted a little.

Thanks Scott. I will have a play about with the whites next time I get a chance.

I must admit I struggled with the white balance last night and I've probably given up sooner than I should have.

Thanks for all the comments everyone. Very helpful

Iain

Three very nice images, liking all of these very much.

George.

Thanks Scott. I will have a play about with the whites next time I get a chance.

I must admit I struggled with the white balance last night and I've probably given up sooner than I should have.
If it helps the last looks the most neutral on the big Eizo with respect to white balance but I always favour a slightly colder tone when it comes to snow to emphasis the cold conditions.
The first is very much warmer but still looks right considering the time of day it was taken.
White forum boards are always a good indicator, especially when it comes to exposure. ;)

Three very nice images, liking all of these very much.

George.

Thanks, I'm pleased that you like them.

If it helps the last looks the most neutral on the big Eizo with respect to white balance but I always favour a slightly colder tone when it comes to snow to emphasis the cold conditions.
The first is very much warmer but still looks right considering the time of day it was taken.
White forum boards are always a good indicator, especially when it comes to exposure. ;)

OK, thanks Scott. I'm due home from my work trip on Tuesday, so I will have another go at editing these.

First one is insanely good

Thanks. I wasn't convinced by the composition at first, but it has grown on me. Number 3 was the one I was most excited about on the day.

Lovely images. 1 and 3 especially.

Thanks. I also prefer 1 and 3 even though I spent the most time on number 2! I really wanted it to work and tried a few compositions, but I guess it just wasn't quite right.

Third for me. Really liking the foreground.

Thanks Jason.

Loving number 3.

Glad you like it

1st for me, lovely image

Thanks Neil

Back